Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2007, 04:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SD memory for K100D cam

Question: I have a San Disk Ultra 11 one gb memory card in my K100D.
Not enough storage for Raw shots. I'm thinking of getting a 2gb or 4gb card. Is the speed a factor in these cards. Like do I need an "ultra" card. Any suggestions for a good brand at low cost. P.S. you can see I'm getting ready for Spring! Freddie

03-29-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
Forum Member

I bought a 2gb SanDisk Ultra III card to supplement the 1gb Delkin standard SD I got with the camera. The ULTRA III seems to write raw PEFs almost as fast as the Delkin SD wrote JPEGs. Downloads are much faster using a USB 2.0 reader. I haven’t tried downloading directly from the camera.

With the SanDisk special offer (as of 2 weeks ago), I got the card and a free registration key to a copy of Phase One’s Capture One LE which sells for US$/Euro 99.00.. The registration includes one free upgrade....the upgrade due out end of this month will add the K10D. I think I remember that the K100D and K110 are already covered in the current version, but you should check the Phase One web site to be sure.

The list price at B&H was 52.95 with a $10.00 SanDisk rebate. Give the fact that I find the interface in Pentax’s version of Silkypic unusable, forty-two bucks seem's a pretty good deal.

Last edited by dmdctusa; 03-29-2007 at 05:37 AM.
03-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a 1 GB Kingston and a 2 GB 150x Transcend. I love the Transcend because the camera clears it's buffer quicker when you shoot bursts. Between the two cards, a little over 3 months, 6000+ shots, and smooth sailing so far.
03-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Currently using Corsair

Hi there.

For myself, Sandisk is still in my doghouse, though I'm starting to use some more Sandisk products. My first experience with their SD memory cards resulted in a 2 out of 2 failure. I returned both cards and exchanged for new ones, and 1 of the 2 new ones failed out of the box. This was a couple of years ago, though, and so far I'm enjoying a good high quality Sandisk reader and a Cruzer thumbdrive. I'm still not ready to move back into their memory cards.

That said, I'm currently using a couple of Corsair 2GB 133x cards I picked up for around $30/ea. I've had no problems with them, they're fast, Corsair has lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps.

03-29-2007, 08:07 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by dmdctusa Quote
I bought a 2gb SanDisk Ultra III card to supplement the 1gb Delkin standard SD I got with the camera. The ULTRA III seems to write raw PEFs almost as fast as the Delkin SD wrote JPEGs. Downloads are much faster using a USB 2.0 reader. I havenít tried downloading directly from the camera.

With the SanDisk special offer (as of 2 weeks ago), I got the card and a free registration key to a copy of Phase Oneís Capture One LE which sells for US$/Euro 99.00.. The registration includes one free upgrade....the upgrade due out end of this month will add the K10D. I think I remember that the K100D and K110 are already covered in the current version, but you should check the Phase One web site to be sure.

The list price at B&H was 52.95 with a $10.00 SanDisk rebate. Give the fact that I find the interface in Pentaxís version of Silkypic unusable, forty-two bucks seem's a pretty good deal.
I also use the Ultra III with my K10 and I have been very happy with their performance. I have one 2gb card (120 RAW images) and two 1gb cards (60 RAW images) I also have a Flash Track hard drive to store images on if I run out of room. There are also the SDHC cards out there too, but I haven't tried them.
03-29-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Inactive Account

The K100d doesn't accept SDHC cards, the K10d does, I have two Kingston Elite Pro 50x 1gb cards and a off brand 2gb card, all perform well enough...

keep an eye on it lists tech deals on SD cards pretty regularly, I got the 2 gig card for 20 bucks and the two 1 gig cards for $7 a piece.
03-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justuspr Quote
The K100d doesn't accept SDHC cards.
With the firmware update, yes it can Tried it with a couple weeks back. SDHC still too slow (transfer rate) for me, so I'm waiting.
03-29-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
With the firmware update, yes it can Tried it with a couple weeks back. SDHC still too slow (transfer rate) for me, so I'm waiting.
You beat me to it Alvin, was just going to say the same thing. I do however have a link to add for the update.
PENTAX DIGITAL CAMERA INFORMATION PAPER

I had to check, because I knew SDHC was supported in the DS (which I own) but I didn't know if that also included the K100D (which I don't own)

To be truthful SDHC isn't terribly appealing to me. The cards are lots more expensive, I'd have to get a new reader, and I'm perfectly comfortable with 1 and 2 gb regular SD cards. A 1 GB card holds about 90-95 raw images, and twice that for a 2 gb card. It takes less than 20 seconds to change cards, I might feel different with the larger file size of the K10D, but for now I see no reason for an upgrade.

NaCl(nice to know the option is there though)H2O

03-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Question: I have a San Disk Ultra 11 one gb memory card in my K100D.
Not enough storage for Raw shots. I'm thinking of getting a 2gb or 4gb card. Is the speed a factor in these cards. Like do I need an "ultra" card. Any suggestions for a good brand at low cost. P.S. you can see I'm getting ready for Spring! Freddie
Hi Freddie, I don't have suggestions for a brand of card, but I do know that Buy.com frequently has sales on SD cards and you can get pretty good deals there. Their sales change frequently so it's a good idea to check often. For instance, I noticed this morning that they were selling Kingston Elite Pro 2 GB cards for $35.

NaCl(considering that they were 90 just a few months ago, that's a pretty good price)H2O
03-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phrish Quote
Hi there.

For myself, Sandisk is still in my doghouse, though I'm starting to use some more Sandisk products. My first experience with their SD memory cards resulted in a 2 out of 2 failure. I returned both cards and exchanged for new ones, and 1 of the 2 new ones failed out of the box. This was a couple of years ago, though, and so far I'm enjoying a good high quality Sandisk reader and a Cruzer thumbdrive. I'm still not ready to move back into their memory cards.

That said, I'm currently using a couple of Corsair 2GB 133x cards I picked up for around $30/ea. I've had no problems with them, they're fast, Corsair has lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps.
Corsairs are hard to find around me. Kingmax which is also fairly good (but little known) brand is selling at my local shop for $26.99 (2GB 150x)

Canada Computers - Kingmax Secure Digital High Speed Card 150x 2GB w/lock.
03-29-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all your ideas, guys. i can see that it is possible to buy excellent memory for not very much money. Like the Transcend 2gb 150x SD for about $18. which received 37 very positive ratings by Amazon customers. Can't seem to find them in stores, however. Target stores sells Transcend. I'll try there and also will look for the Corsair. Freddy
03-29-2007, 11:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Try TigerDirect.com Super Buys - Computer Parts, PC Components, Desktop Computers, Laptops, Notebooks as they are a distributor for Transcend up here in Canada and pretty reliable.
03-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #13
Forum Member

If you your camera doesn't take SDHC check out the high speed cards like the SanDisk Ultra III, Transcend 150x and similar. My understanding is that the SDHC is only needed when the card capacity exeeds 4Gb (or is it 2Gb,someone correct me, please) because the larger capactity needs a different formatting.

Another source for Transcend cards of all flavors is NEWEGG.com. Photo memory cards are under the digtial camera section...if you just go to the general memory heading you get the PC memory cards and chips.

Edit: Clarification - per SDCard.org: the SDHC uses FAT 32 file formatting.

Last edited by dmdctusa; 03-29-2007 at 02:01 PM.
03-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #14
PDL
Pentaxian

As for file systems - FAT16 will support 2GB "normal", under Windows NT 4.0 it can be extended to 4GB (which is why you saw lots of stuff about Windows C: drives maxing out at 4GB partitions). FAT32 supports much, much more - I can not recall the upper limit - I think Windows 2000 server maxed out at 127GB - lower than Windows 98SE and Millenium - go figure).

I have 3 1GB cards, 2 2GB card and 1 4GB card. I swap them between my *ist Ds and K10D without issue. My Toshiba laptop's built in SD reader will not read the camera formatted 4GB card - for that I have an IOGear device that turns an SD card into a USB thumb drive. That said - I do not copy images off of my cards directly into my PC. I use a Wolverine flashpac 7000 40GB card reader (I do not have to carry my laptop around with me - just the little hard drive) It has a Lithium-Ion battery that can run off of batteries and a cigarette lighter souce. It also has a charger and charges when plugged into a USB port. I never let my PC format the SD card - i use the camera - that is what it is designed to do.

My workflow is:
Take the image until the card is full.
Remove the card and lock the card.
Copy the contents off of the card onto the Wolverine - once copied - unlock the card.

When I am around my computer - I plug in the Wovlerine - and burn a DVD.
Copy the images onto my hard drive and do what I have to do with post processing.

All of the cards are SanDisk except the 4 GB = PQ1. I had issues with the 4GB device on the *ist Ds - wrote PENTAX - they said in the message that there were not plans to support SDHC on the Ds - next week they came out with firmware 2.01 - go figure. The Wolverine did not support the 4GB card either - a firmware update cured that too. The K10D never blinked - the IOCard converter did not either.

sorry about being so long winded - buy as many cards as you think you need - one pro I know was carrying 12GB worth of cars with him - and that was Oct 2005.

PDL
03-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My thing is I never take the SD card out of my K100D because I'm convinced that with my clumsy hands I'll inevitably damage it. I rarely shoot more than 150 or so shots in one day (raw or jpeg). So a 2GB card will hold just about anything I shoot. I just hook up the usb connecter from my camera to PC (at the end of a shooting day) and load the images right up into Picasa 2. Only takes a few moments. Freddy