Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2007, 09:17 AM   #1

Black & White post processing ?

Hey ,

I love B&W pictures , can you tell me which would be a good software program for multi batch editing ... converting from colour to B&W with specific settings (contrast,filters).

I know DXO which is more suited for Canon & Nikon users , anyone knows another (please not photoshop...too complicated and expensive)

03-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tried Bibble Lite - very nice. My LBA got the best of me, so I can't invest into software or hardware yet
03-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to Get 'Real' B&W Look from Color Photos

I found this article the other day and it looks promising. I haven't tried the method yet - but I'm anxious to (albeit using gimp instead of Photoshop).

How to Get 'Real' B&W Look from Color Photos - - PopPhotoNovember 2006

You have to click on the blueberry picture to launch the demo slideshow.

Cheers
03-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Inactive Account

my old time favor,
Welcome to optikVerve Labs - Home of virtualPhotographer can't use it anymore since on mac,...]
exellent grain

- digican channel mixer plugin for ps
- Alien Skin apereture is really good, exellent grain
- bibble pro with andy plugin , exellent, exept for grain

the hardest part is getting a B&W print,
unless you print on matt, with pigment, with black/grey only,....
all other labs are color paper only,....
there are few and far between, with B&W paper from Ilford,
printing is a whole new bag of tricks.

for most parts would recommend optikvervelabs with a slight tint,
and use color paper.
don't forget to add grain. for me I use bibblelabs

for better results use 16bit tiff/raw, since all the adjustments will make the gamut narrow/flat gradients.
note:
on grain, it depends on viewing distance , and print size, and the look you want. as such for prepress, add grain for final output size, and output resolution after separetion.

just my 2 cents, cheers Robert

QuoteOriginally posted by guillermovilas Quote
Hey ,

I love B&W pictures , can you tell me which would be a good software program for multi batch editing ... converting from colour to B&W with specific settings (contrast,filters).

I know DXO which is more suited for Canon & Nikon users , anyone knows another (please not photoshop...too complicated and expensive)

03-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
Forum Member

Hi,

About 80% of my work ends up in Black & White. My first step to digital was via film scanned for printing with an Epson 2200. Now, as of three weeks ago, I have my first DSLR, the "Pentax Got It Right!" K10D.

I would recommend you check out Lightzone from Lightcrafts. The web link is:

Light Crafts

I have Photoshop 7 on a Mac but recently changed to a WinXP PC because some of the graphic software I use is only available for a PC. I beta tested Adobe Lightroom (both Mac and PC) and tested the Windows release 1.00ver as well. I assumed I would put Lightroon on the PC until I discorvered Lightzone.

Lightzone allows your to map tonal zones easily and has a color to b&w conversion action. It is a non destructive editor like Lightroom and comes in a basic edit only version or the full version which has an image browser. In fact the latest version has the abiltiy to interface with Lightroom as an external editor. It will take the Pentax DNG and PEF formats.

Having used a wet darkroom for many years, Lightzone is far more intutive for black and white work than any other programs I have used.

I have no connection with Lightcraft other that being a zealous convert!

PS: be sure to check out the demo videos on Lightcrafts website.

Last edited by dmdctusa; 03-29-2007 at 01:38 PM.
03-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There are many ways to convert a picture to B&W;ultimately everyone finds their favorite. Same with software. If you print your work, you won't get good B&W prints unless you are 1.using one of the latest printers where the inks are finally right for B&W or 2.use an RIP with your printer. About a third of my printing is B&W, on an Epson 2200 with the Quadtone RIP ($50); could not get it right until I got the RIP. Then there's the issue of matte or glossy paper.....
03-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #7

Bibble Lite or Pro

I use Bibble Lite for my post processing and it has an excellent B+W conversion plugin, called Andy!

It offers Film and Paper selection, as well as Exposure and Control settings. Mix this with all the other Bibble controls (shadow, mid-point, Image Toning etc) and you have very powerful B+W simulation control.

I have also used OptikVerve Labs software, which does a very good job.

Should also mention Picasa - Auto level, convert to B+W, go to Tuning and play around with the Shadow and Highlight controls - you'll be surprised at the results
03-30-2007, 12:46 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisman Quote
I use Bibble Lite for my post processing and it has an excellent B+W conversion plugin, called Andy!

It offers Film and Paper selection, as well as Exposure and Control settings. Mix this with all the other Bibble controls (shadow, mid-point, Image Toning etc) and you have very powerful B+W simulation control.

I have also used OptikVerve Labs software, which does a very good job.

Should also mention Picasa - Auto level, convert to B+W, go to Tuning and play around with the Shadow and Highlight controls - you'll be surprised at the results
Thank you veru much for the info , i really like the results in Bibble Lite especially the "Andy" setting , but i don`t seem to understand how i can batch a whole serie of colour pics into this setting.
I`ve only manage to convert one pic at the time , can you help ?

03-31-2007, 02:00 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
I tried Bibble Lite - very nice. My LBA got the best of me, so I can't invest into software or hardware yet
Hi there ,

Just got advised to use Bibble Lite for good B&W results.

I see you use this too , could you tell me if it`s possible to apply a personilized setting to a bunch of pics all at once (batch)

I like the "Andy" plugin and i can convert one pic at the time , if i coud save my configuration and then apply it automatically to all the pics i`d like to convert from colour to B&W , this would be fantastic.

Hope to hear from you soon ?
03-31-2007, 04:46 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Bibble supports batch queues. If you have the program, look at the help for batch processing. It should be possible to specify an input directory, an output file type and directory, and for all the files to use the current conversion settings.

I don't really use them, so I can't give you step-by-step guidance. If no one else chimes in here, try the Bibble boards at:

support.bibblelabs.com :: Index
04-01-2007, 02:48 AM   #11

Batch Processing

QuoteOriginally posted by guillermovilas Quote
Thank you veru much for the info , i really like the results in Bibble Lite especially the "Andy" setting , but i don`t seem to understand how i can batch a whole serie of colour pics into this setting.
I`ve only manage to convert one pic at the time , can you help ?
If you go to Bibble Help and look under <Organizing and Processing Images> and then <Creating or Editing Batch Queues> you should find the answer to your question.

Also take a look at the the BibbleLabs Learning Centre video tutorials, on the Bibble website - they are very useful guides to Bibble functionality.
04-01-2007, 04:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Then there's the issue of matte or glossy paper.....
oh mat FTW definitely. Or the canon semi gloss stuff. Works like a charm and my photos look amazing when printed on it.
04-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robsphoto Quote
Based on the preview from the site, and being "free" plugin - I would love to give it a try, but on CS2 - it just locks up the photoshop as soon as I click on the plugin...

Any suggestions why?

Regards,
D
04-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #14

You can open the images using irfan view (free image viewer) which knows to open photoshop plugins ...
04-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, after a month of using new PC with Vista (installed from the factory), I've encountered my first incomparability issue - this optikVerve plugin does not work... Fine on my laptop with XP, but not on Vista

Too bad, nice options and easy to use!

Regards,
D