Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #1

PEF-RAW Explorer Thumbnails [Vista only]

sorry if this was also posted, but noticing alot of people discussing PEF RAW thumbnails in windows explorer...

Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX

it only works for Vista, but by now i'm guessing at least half of you here are...but i installed it and it works flawlessly!

Sorry if this is already obvious, it's just i haven't found the solution on pentaxforums, so i figured i'd post it.

02-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Forum Member

I think most of the discussion is about 64 bit versions of those codecs. There aren't any free ones for PEF or DNG as far as I know. If you find one for Vista 64 please let me know!
02-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It believe it actually works for XP also, this is old news and has been stated over and over on these and other forums. There is no 64 bit codec for PEF nor DNG for that matter.
02-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
It believe it actually works for XP also, this is old news and has been stated over and over on these and other forums. There is no 64 bit codec for PEF nor DNG for that matter.
Mostly correct (unfortunately). I scoured the Internet, only to find a RAW DNG CODEC for Vista 64. As far as I can tell, there is no Vista 64 CODEC for RAW PNG for viewing File Explorer thumbnails. The only Vista 64 RAW DNG CODEC is here: http://www.ardfry.com/dng-codec/Download.htm but you have to pay for it.

I also found this little (and very no frills) tool for quickly viewing (and minor editing) of almost all RAW formats (including PNG). It works in Vista 64.

Free RAW editor. Free RAW corrector. Free RAW converter.

02-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter

And then there is the great little free tool called IrfanView

I can't believe that I had forgotten about IrfanView. The latest version will view and display thumbnails of both PEF and DNG RAW files. This is next best thing to having a thumbnail CODEC in Vista 64.

It is still faster to load up IrfanView than Lightroom but the Pentax Photo Browser is pretty fast too!
02-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I can't believe that I had forgotten about IrfanView. The latest version will view and display thumbnails of both PEF and DNG RAW files. This is next best thing to having a thumbnail CODEC in Vista 64.

It is still faster to load up IrfanView than Lightroom but the Pentax Photo Browser is pretty fast too!
I knew about the non-free DNG codec for Vista x64. Infranview along with Pentax PB as well as all other applications that do not depend on Windows Imaging Components will work without any codec installed. Personally I do not consider Infranview a replacement for not supplying a free codec.
05-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

found this page in a search..
works like a charm