Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #1

Pentax K200D Dust

Hello, I purchased a K200D 3 weeks ago and have been very pleased so far but I have managed to get dust or something on it somewhere and have been unsuccessful in removing it.
I believe it to be inside of the penta-mirror.
It does not show up in the pictures but it is in the viewfinder and has become extremely annoying. I have tried blowing the focusing screen out with a small puffer thingy, even been so desperate as to wipe it with a cloth.
Sometimes pointing the puffer in between the crevis between the primary mirror and the focusing screen will move the dust around but not remove it. Moving the diopter to the other side makes it blurry but reveals more dust which appears to be frozen in mid-air.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, Tracker.

02-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You'll have to have it cleaned...it's not something you can easily do yourself without a ton of parts being removed from the camera.
02-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
Forum Member

By the description you've given, the dust seem to be sitting on the other side of the focus screen.
Blowing from the mirror side is unlikely to remove them.
If the dust is very annoying and you must remove it, you could dessmble the focus screen, follow link instruction
--PENTAX K10D/K20D Focusing Screen Installation Instruction--
But I remind you that it may not fix your problem but could worsten it depending on your experience and tools you have.

NEVER use any fluid (water/ lens cleaning/ ethanol/ isopropanol/ etc) on the focus screen, use only a blower!

When ever you stick things inside the core of the camer, just be very careful.

Good luck.
02-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tracker Quote
Hello, I purchased a K200D 3 weeks ago and have been very pleased so far but I have managed to get dust or something on it somewhere and have been unsuccessful in removing it.
I believe it to be inside of the penta-mirror.
It does not show up in the pictures but it is in the viewfinder and has become extremely annoying. I have tried blowing the focusing screen out with a small puffer thingy, even been so desperate as to wipe it with a cloth.
Sometimes pointing the puffer in between the crevis between the primary mirror and the focusing screen will move the dust around but not remove it. Moving the diopter to the other side makes it blurry but reveals more dust which appears to be frozen in mid-air.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, Tracker.
I had the problem on a daily basis with my GX10. The spot you see is on the focus screen, not above or below it (on the mirror, or in the penta-prism). But as the other poster said probably on the top of the screen, They are very delicate and I ruined two (at $45 each) trying to clean them. I would get a spot on them and it would not come off, with the tools I had then. My AB focus screen brush did get them clean when blowing did not work. I say did because my warranty replacement GX10 never gets it like that anymore, I cant figure that one out.

Anyways you need to remove and clean the very delicate focus screen. Use only special swabs or brushes that are made to do that. You can find some at Visible Dust. Don't blow too much with a blower, you only blow dust around, and make things worse. Believe me, done it been there, blowing works on the CCD but nothing else, really makes more dust in other places. But dust is still only visible on the focus screen not above it, or below it (like on the mirror).

There is a video on you-tube on replacing the K10D focus screen. If the dust is stuck to it real good, or its scratched you will have to replace it. Not a big deal, just some more money.