Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

Quick metering question on K10D

I'm trying to use a K-mount manual lens from the 80s on my K10D. I read the tutorials and followed all the instructions (aperture ring, manual focus, manuel mode, green button for metering) but I have a question about the actual metering bar. Is it suppose to show up (so I'll know if it is too much or too little light) or does metering with the older lenses just means that the camera is able to find what it thinks is the right shutter speed after I set the aperture? Thanks

02-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pressing the Green Button will set the shutter speed for the selected aperture automatically. However, it's not always accurate. For example, I just got a shutter speed of 1/25 @ f/2.8. Dropping it to f/22 gave me 1/5.

If you would still like to have the meter display, in your Custom Settings menu, change your Preview Method from Digital to Optical. Then when you hold the Preview switch, the meter display will appear. But it's no more accurate than the Green Button.
02-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Pressing the Green Button will set the shutter speed for the selected aperture automatically. However, it's not always accurate. For example, I just got a shutter speed of 1/25 @ f/2.8. Dropping it to f/22 gave me 1/5.

If you would still like to have the meter display, in your Custom Settings menu, change your Preview Method from Digital to Optical. Then when you hold the Preview switch, the meter display will appear. But it's no more accurate than the Green Button.
I always thought it is, but I might be wrong here... see I don't use my manual lenses very often...
BR
02-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's still metering just the same, so hitting the Green Button gives the same exposure as centering the meter. But if you don't have any issues with metering with K or M lenses, then you probably wouldn't see it.

02-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's still metering just the same, so hitting the Green Button gives the same exposure as centering the meter. But if you don't have any issues with metering with K or M lenses, then you probably wouldn't see it.
It's been suggested that some issues with the Green button metering could be due to timing issues - the meter reading not occurring when the aperture is fully stopped stopped down. Or that the lens doesn't *stay* stopped down long enough for a truly accurate reading. I have no idea if there is any truth to that or ot, but it seems at least plausible.
02-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'll give you the possibility. I was just going off the behaviour I was witnessing as I double checked myself before posting. No matter which method I used, I got the same results. The only variation was of 1/3 stop up and down as the meter couldn't make up it's mind, but it did that for both methods.
02-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster

Which button is the preview switch? Thanks
02-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Under and around the shutter button. OFF> ON> Preview.

02-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Under and around the shutter button. OFF> ON> Preview.
Awesome thanks! I get the bar now.