Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #1

K20D deleting pictures

I have a K100D and recently bought the K20D. When I use the K100D I can take out the SD card and insert it again in the camera without it deleting the pictures I have taken. However on the K20D I have not found this possible to do. Is there a way for me to do this?

02-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let me make sure I understand - you have a card with pictures on it in the K20D, you take the card out (and do what with it?) and then when you put it back into the K20D, the pictures aren't there?

Sounds like your card may be scrambled. Do you mix cards among cameras? This can cause the numbering (at least) to get mixed up, or worse. Also, make sure to format the card in the camera, not in the computer.

Other than that, your K20D should not delete the pictures. You should be able to remove and reinsert the card as much as you like without any harm to the pixs on the card.
02-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In fact, I have yanked out the card on my K20D while it was doing a dark frame subtraction after a long exposure, put it back in and it just resumed the DFS. The exposure was fine. Losing images just by taking the card out and putting it back in should not be happening.
02-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ok, I figured out what I was doing wrong and can now take the card out and put back in without deleting. But do have another question. The reason I take the card out in the first place is because I have an HP printer that can be used as a stand alone printer and like to put the SD cards in to make changes and print. If I take the card from the K20 and put it in the printer and then put back in the camera, I'm assuming that it will not reformat the card again so as to mess anything up.

02-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by canyontraveler Quote
Ok, I figured out what I was doing wrong and can now take the card out and put back in without deleting. But do have another question. The reason I take the card out in the first place is because I have an HP printer that can be used as a stand alone printer and like to put the SD cards in to make changes and print. If I take the card from the K20 and put it in the printer and then put back in the camera, I'm assuming that it will not reformat the card again so as to mess anything up.
No it won't re-format the card and the K20 will not delete any files, unless you use the menue to do so willingly. You can pop the card in and out as often as you want and all the existing files will be on there and not be overwritten. The K20 simply adds new folders with every new shoot and places the new images in there until the card is full and you have to decide what to do.

Ben