Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to "test drive" at K20...

My new K20 comes in Wednesday from B&H. This is a real step up for me and I want to make sure I give it a good run through before the keep/return date.

I've worked my way through the K100 with the 43mm and Tamron 90 lenses and am comfortable with the Pentax system; but I think I want the increased resolution, improved VF and expanded two-dial control of the K20.

Now I want to do some benchmark testing using the K100 to see what the K20 gives me to justify the cost; and, if not enough, it goes back and I'll stick with the K100 and use the money for new lenses.

How would you "test drive" the K20? What do you wish you'd checked out (if anything) before buying? Any and all input is welcome,
Brian

02-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The very first is check if the AF is spot on!
There are usually reports of FF or BF (front focusing or back focusing).
Then I guess, do the night shots in "B" mode to see wether you get the stripes or hot pixels.
That is as far as I know of reading from the issues usually encountered with dslr's.
Congrats on your purchase.
I hope you got a good copy.
02-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go out and use the camera. If you like the pictures, then the camera is working.

I guess you could take some underexposed shots, or shots of brick walls, but why? If your normal shots don't look right, then dig further. Otherwise, why go looking to make yourself unhappy? You've got probably a 99% (or greater) chance that everything will be fine. The other 1% will mainly be a DOA camera, which should be pretty obvious.

I don't know why everyone is suddenly worried about the K20D. The camera has been out for a year and the only identified problem (some esoteric hot pixel problem that affected a very small minority of users) was fixed in firmware. When I (in a moment of weakness) tried to recreate the problem using the exact "recipe" published, I still couldn't make my camera fail.

Sorry for the rant, but I think people get too wound up worrying about things that are very very unlikely.

----Edit-----
Okay, sorry to sound like a grumpy old a$$. If I was dropping big money on a camera, I'd want to make sure it's okay as well. The way I do it is to go out and take a wide variety of pictures in many different situations (having fun in the meantime) and see if it performs like I expect. If not, then I'd move on to the more in-depth methods that test specific aspects of the camera.

I guess I was just reacting to the general theme I see creeping into the forum that the K20D is somehow a "flawed" camera, and I just disagree with that. It certainly has limitations like all cameras do, but I'd say it's the best of 4 different models of Pentax cameras I've owned and used. Plus, I think it's head and shoulders above any other brand at the same price. You'll have to spend much more (50% or more) to begin equaling the feature set that the K20D has. I think we (as a group) somehow forget that in our worries about this specific function, or that specific omission.

Anyway, Brian, I'm sure you'll love your K20D. I know I love mine, and I'm still amazed at what it can do, even after owning it for a year.

Last edited by rfortson; 02-15-2009 at 09:17 PM.