Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Thanks for the advice, but the problems I have been reading about are black shots, lines in images, and the camera freezing up.
OK, a handful of people with problems out of thousands of units sold. That's probably normal for *any* camera. You don't see reports of problems with the K!0D right now because hardly any K10D's are being sold any more.

02-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
I've owned a K-10D for a couple of years, and have been quite satisfied with it for the most part. Nevertheless, I find myself wanting something with better high ISO performance and faster auto-focusing, particularly in the AF-C mode. Unlike a lot of others I'm not lusting for a full frame model. Having said that, what I can't understand is the number of people rushing out to buy a K-20 less than three weeks before this year's PMA convention. What if Pentax announces a K30 or a full-frame model, as unlikely as that would seem? It would be like buying a 2008 automobile just before the 2009 model was announced. It's easier to understand if someone has no camera at all, because the new model probably wouldn't be actually released for several months, but why would the owner of a K10 make such a move now? Even if they chose not to go for the newer model, you'd have to think that the price of the K20 would drop after the newer one was announced. What am I missing here?

CN
The general consensus is that we'll see an upgrade to the K20D (K20D Super?) - maybe adding GPS, maybe some other feature, but it will not be anything like full-frame.

To the OP - a lot of the time, problems seem more prevalent when you cruise the forums, because that's where everyone goes to report them. I've owned two K20Ds, and have never seen problem 1.

That CMOS sensor gives you mind-blowing color renditions, white balance is much better, and in-camera JPEG processing is better than any other manufacturer, IMO. And high-ISO shooting - no comparison to the K10D, really.

Add to that the ability to gain critical sharpness with all your lenses by easily tweaking AF on a per-lens basis (camera 'remembers' that lens when you put it on again, so you only have to tweak it once,) and the K20D is a no-brainer.

02-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adding to Mark's list:

And, Live View...

And, a larger LCD monitor...

And, a pc jack if you ever are in a studio....

And, different speeds of continous shooting, including a mode that mimics the high-speed sequence of shots you've seen that tracks, say, the motion of a golf swing....
02-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Add to that the ability to gain critical sharpness with all your lenses by easily tweaking AF on a per-lens basis (camera 'remembers' that lens when you put it on again, so you only have to tweak it once,) and the K20D is a no-brainer.

Jay,
Just curious since you've been using the Tamron 70-200/2.8 (just got one myself and I love it!)- when I download to LightRoom it just labels that Tamron as "Unknown Lens". (This was mentioned in another post.) So if this lens doesn't "identify" itself, WOULD the K20D be able to "remember" it for the AF adjustment? (Not that mine needs any adjustment, but just wondering...)
Paul

02-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Jay,
Just curious since you've been using the Tamron 70-200/2.8 (just got one myself and I love it!)- when I download to LightRoom it just labels that Tamron as "Unknown Lens". (This was mentioned in another post.) So if this lens doesn't "identify" itself, WOULD the K20D be able to "remember" it for the AF adjustment? (Not that mine needs any adjustment, but just wondering...)
Paul

Yes, it remembers it - the necessary identifying string is still there in the raw EXIF, it's just that stuff like an unpatched Lightroom wouldn't know to tie that string to the description "Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 LD Di".

The camera pretty much doesn't care about the human-readable description - it just says "Oh, its good old lens 0xA145B78601! Nice to see you again, here's your +3 AF adjustment!"

I dont have Lightroom, but you should be able to download a patch or update that has the correct description string in it.

02-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

The general consensus is that we'll see an upgrade to the K20D (K20D Super?) - maybe adding GPS, maybe some other feature, but it will not be anything like full-frame.

To the OP - a lot of the time, problems seem more prevalent when you cruise the forums, because that's where everyone goes to report them. I've owned two K20Ds, and have never seen problem 1.

That CMOS sensor gives you mind-blowing color renditions, white balance is much better, and in-camera JPEG processing is better than any other manufacturer, IMO. And high-ISO shooting - no comparison to the K10D, really.

I certainly can't argue that the K20D is a no-brainer, but it certainly seems to me that waiting a couple of weeks to see what, if anything, Pentax is coming with next is also a no-brainer.

CN
02-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Hey everyone, I recently sold my K100D Super to upgrade to a higher end camera. I have researched everything there is to know about both cameras but I still am unsure on what to do. The primary reasons I want to upgrade is because I would like a brighter viewfinder, more megapixels, in body RAW editing, and the fact that both cameras are more comfortable to hold on to. Now after reading about all the problems with the K20D I am a little nervous about picking one up. Now money is no object because I can afford either one, but is the K20D worth it to take the risk? Anyway I just wanted to see what other people would do in my situation.

Thanks for any input,
Cory
Hello Cory,

Strictly in terms of additional (all important) pixels, more programmability and feature sets, higher ISO, the K20D is a 'better' camera.

But the K20 does have some problems such the vertical line issue. Too many people have reported this problem for it to be mere coincidence. I haven't been affected but I know one person (personally) and about another four through the forums.

The other issue (which affects me) is that the K20D CMOS sensor runs hotter than any other current DSLR. This means a lot of sensor noise, which is covered up by the K20D forcing a DFS (Dark Frame Subtraction), for any photo longer than 15 seconds (or *any* photo in BULB mode). Yes, every camera has it's issues but this is a huge glaring engineering mistake. This problem all but eliminates the K20D from long exposure work. Had I known this, I would not have purchased the K20D. Unfortunately, I purchased my K20D before this information was generally known.

You mentioned that 'money is no object'.... is there a particular reason why you are not looking at Canon or Nikon (the two leaders)?

The Pentax camera division of Hoya is losing money, they have cut R+D by an apparent 50% and some 8-10% of their workforce. The evidence of their problems are all spelled out in their latest financial report: http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/investor/2009_3Q_graph.pdf It especially bad, if you believe (as I do), that most reports exaggerate (or cover up) the real situation (SOX be damned!).

When compared to other manufactures (at least the top three), Pentax appears to be the only one that is failing in the camera business.

I am not saying that Pentax won't be around much longer... Hoya (the parent) has a lot of money, but it makes me wonder if it is worth it for Hoya to sink money into a division bleeding as it is. Cutting back on R+D is a sure sign that they might not think so... It's not like the Pentax products are already ahead of the game in terms of technology.

I will now get ready for a verbal lashing from the zealots of this group. Ouch.

But as Shakespeare once wrote, "Don't shoot the messenger!"
02-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
I certainly can't argue that the K20D is a no-brainer, but it certainly seems to me that waiting a couple of weeks to see what, if anything, Pentax is coming with next is also a no-brainer.

CN
Assuming you have the patience to wait that long

02-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Hello Cory,

Strictly in terms of additional (all important) pixels, more programmability and feature sets, higher ISO, the K20D is a 'better' camera.

But the K20 does have some problems such the vertical line issue. Too many people have reported this problem for it to be mere coincidence. I haven't been affected but I know one person (personally) and about another four through the forums.

The other issue (which affects me) is that the K20D CMOS sensor runs hotter than any other current DSLR. This means a lot of sensor noise, which is covered up by the K20D forcing a DFS (Dark Frame Subtraction), for any photo longer than 15 seconds (or *any* photo in BULB mode). Yes, every camera has it's issues but this is a huge glaring engineering mistake. This problem all but eliminates the K20D from long exposure work. Had I known this, I would not have purchased the K20D. Unfortunately, I purchased my K20D before this information was generally known.

You mentioned that 'money is no object'.... is there a particular reason why you are not looking at Canon or Nikon (the two leaders)?

The Pentax camera division of Hoya is losing money, they have cut R+D by an apparent 50% and some 8-10% of their workforce. The evidence of their problems are all spelled out in their latest financial report: http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/investor/2009_3Q_graph.pdf It especially bad, if you believe (as I do), that most reports exaggerate (or cover up) the real situation (SOX be damned!).

When compared to other manufactures (at least the top three), Pentax appears to be the only one that is failing in the camera business.

I am not saying that Pentax won't be around much longer... Hoya (the parent) has a lot of money, but it makes me wonder if it is worth it for Hoya to sink money into a division bleeding as it is. Cutting back on R+D is a sure sign that they might not think so... It's not like the Pentax products are already ahead of the game in terms of technology.

Posting this in a Pentax forum means you're either a troll, or just a bit immature.
(I'm betting on both.)
02-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Posting this in a Pentax forum means you're either a troll, or just a bit immature.
(I'm betting on both.)
Gee thanks for that useless remark.

Pot calling the Kettle Black?

In case you are not already aware, this is a forum for helpful advice.

Unfortunately, I may occasionally make statements you won't like but I can always back up what I write.
02-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello Cory,

the more posts I read from you makes me think you've got an axe to grind... too often emphasizing the negative, going out of your way to be negative, and just making overgeneralized statements.
02-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Don't worry be happy!

Hello!

I was exactly in the same situation as you.

I was worry for problems that I have been heard ect ect.

Then I found out too, that in the forum you only look people

that have problems and asking for solve them. (that's one key-function in one forum)

The happy k20d users are everywhere but you will not see them

look at this thread I started. It's one Thread where those happy k20d users write.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/50138-happy-k20d-users-post-here.html

I was worry as you, but then I bought a new k20d and I have never been having any problems ever with it. It works great!

Cheers

Emil
02-16-2009, 12:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Gee thanks for that useless remark.

Pot calling the Kettle Black?

In case you are not already aware, this is a forum for helpful advice.

Unfortunately, I may occasionally make statements you won't like but I can always back up what I write.
Originally Posted by pentaxmz
Hello Cory,

The Pentax camera division of Hoya is losing money, they have cut R+D by an apparent 50% and some 8-10% of their workforce. The evidence of their problems are all spelled out in their latest financial report: HOYA It especially bad, if you believe (as I do), that most reports exaggerate (or cover up) the real situation (SOX be damned!).

The question of the person was if we was to get the k10d or the k20d, not about the economical situacion of pentax/hoya.
Too off-topic!

All companies have a hard time now doing money, even Nikon and Canon.
It's not like that you are bringing up some super- news here.
The worlds bad economic situacion is today fact. Even for pentax. It does'nt make the k20d a bad camera.

A forum is a problem-solving place. That's why you read all the negative stuff here.

k20d is a very good camera. If you speak with any of the 99% happy owner. I did....Im one of them as well

//Emil
02-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
the more posts I read from you makes me think you've got an axe to grind... too often emphasizing the negative, going out of your way to be negative, and just making overgeneralized statements.
I never intended to hijack the OP's thread! Yes, I do have an axe and I want to grind it... but not on this thread. If you care to know... read the new thread I created.

Sorry to the OP... I hope, at least, that my postings about everything else were useful to you.

Last edited by pentaxmz; 02-16-2009 at 01:17 AM.
02-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Guys, it shouldn't matter either way, everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter what. And remember, it's always best to attack the idea, not the person.