Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D vs. K10D

Hey everyone, I recently sold my K100D Super to upgrade to a higher end camera. I have researched everything there is to know about both cameras but I still am unsure on what to do. The primary reasons I want to upgrade is because I would like a brighter viewfinder, more megapixels, in body RAW editing, and the fact that both cameras are more comfortable to hold on to. Now after reading about all the problems with the K20D I am a little nervous about picking one up. Now money is no object because I can afford either one, but is the K20D worth it to take the risk? Anyway I just wanted to see what other people would do in my situation.

Thanks for any input,
Cory

02-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes! Definitly !
02-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

With any product, there will be lemons.
So long as the product is backed up by not just a large company but a "good" company, then there really is no need for any worries!
If you have any problems with your purchase then you can always return it or exchange it...that is what the warranty is for.
You will also gain more resale value in the end when you decide to re-sell it.
There are definitely more good reviews by users than those that has bad experiences with them.
CMOS sensor give great color accuracy and the finetuning of the lenses for AF definitely is a very big plus!
02-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Forum Member

I upgraded from a K100d to a K20d a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. High ISO image quality is very important to me, and for me that's the biggest advantage of the K20d over the K10d. I didn't consider the K10d as a replacement for my K100d because I didn't think I would be entirely happy with it at the higher end of the ISO scale, based on results I had seen. When I saw the first images from the K20d posted on the web, they wowed me, but I had to wait a while for the price to come down before I could afford to upgrade. I really like the look of the images produced by the K20d's sensor at higher ISOs, and I shoot at 1600 a lot. I haven't had any problems with the camera at all. As much as I liked my K100d I consider the K20d a quantum leap forward.

02-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys, but doesnt the K10D also have finetuning of lenses for AF.
02-14-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Thanks for the comments guys, but doesnt the K10D also have finetuning of lenses for AF.
yes and no. You can go to debug menu and set correction value, but that one is universal for all lenses. Apparently there is a way Pentax technicians can store data for up to 4 lenses but that option is unavailable (unfortunately) to users.
K20D has better ISO, better sensor, higher mpx, you can set AF correction for several (4 or 5 I think) lenses individualy. The only downside is that you can't shoot on JPEG in continuos mode until you'll fill the card, because buffer can't hold so many big files. On K10 with good card, you just hold the shutter release down, and the camera shoots until the card is full. But let's be hones, how often would you do that?
And don't worry about some bugs etc, when K10D came out there was at least as many as there is now with K20! The favourite was leaning viewfinder...
so if you have the cash, don't worry, just straighten your legs, take a deep breath and jump into the deep end with K20. You'll enjoy it...

BR

PS: don't be confused by my signature saying K100 and K10. I simply didn't have enough cash... I wish I had....
02-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No only the K20D. An other plus is the dead pixels removal...

02-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
Forum Member

You should just go for the k20d. Isn't there a rebate out also???
02-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again for all your input guys, its really appreciated. As for a rebate I think there is one available but I haven't been able to find it.
02-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

3 weeks ago, I sold my beloved K10D to fund for the purchase of a K20D. Now I am a happy K20D owner.
02-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey everyone, I recently sold my K100D Super to upgrade to a higher end camera. I have researched everything there is to know about both cameras but I still am unsure on what to do. The primary reasons I want to upgrade is because I would like a brighter viewfinder, more megapixels, in body RAW editing, and the fact that both cameras are more comfortable to hold on to. Now after reading about all the problems with the K20D I am a little nervous about picking one up. Now money is no object because I can afford either one, but is the K20D worth it to take the risk? Anyway I just wanted to see what other people would do in my situation.

Thanks for any input,
Cory
What K20D problems? The K20D is rock solid and is a more refined version of the K10D, even with the new sensor. Both cameras are great. If you want better high ISO performance or higher resolution, get the K20D. If you want to say a little, get the K10D.

Either way, there's no more risk in buying these cameras than in buying any other brand.
02-15-2009, 03:04 AM   #12

Just Like Ken I sold my much loved K10 a couple of weeks ago and bought a K20, brilliant though the K10 is, the K20 is a better camera.
02-15-2009, 05:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
What K20D problems? The K20D is rock solid and is a more refined version of the K10D, even with the new sensor. Both cameras are great. If you want better high ISO performance or higher resolution, get the K20D. If you want to say a little, get the K10D.

Either way, there's no more risk in buying these cameras than in buying any other brand.
Thanks for the advice, but the problems I have been reading about are black shots, lines in images, and the camera freezing up.
02-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I have a K10D and lust after a K20D. If it wasn't for a serious case of LBA right now, I would have my K20D now.
The K10D was a breakthrough, award winning design. It is a GREAT camera. The K20D is a refinement and slight step forward over the K10D and is also a great camera. The only problem I know of with the K20D is that the files are 1.5X the size and you might need to upgrade your computer storage capability. (I just bought a 1TB external drive from WD in contemplation of the upgrade.) That's it! All other problems I've heard about are either user error or repairable under warrantee (like any electronic gizmo, warantee solves most problems because they usually show up soon after initial use).
Down the road, the K20D will return a higher price when/if you ever decide to sell it.
Good luck in your choice,
Brian

Last edited by calicojack; 02-15-2009 at 06:49 AM. Reason: typo
02-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I've owned a K-10D for a couple of years, and have been quite satisfied with it for the most part. Nevertheless, I find myself wanting something with better high ISO performance and faster auto-focusing, particularly in the AF-C mode. Unlike a lot of others I'm not lusting for a full frame model. Having said that, what I can't understand is the number of people rushing out to buy a K-20 less than three weeks before this year's PMA convention. What if Pentax announces a K30 or a full-frame model, as unlikely as that would seem? It would be like buying a 2008 automobile just before the 2009 model was announced. It's easier to understand if someone has no camera at all, because the new model probably wouldn't be actually released for several months, but why would the owner of a K10 make such a move now? Even if they chose not to go for the newer model, you'd have to think that the price of the K20 would drop after the newer one was announced. What am I missing here?

CN