Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #1

K20 Live View Problem

Hi everyone. This is my first post, so here goes.

I recently purchased a K20D and learning the ropes of the camera. I’ve noticed an odd (to me) occurrence when I review taken photos in live view (both JPEG and RAW photos). After a brief moment – less than a second – the images seem to shift to sharper ones, but excessively so. The shifted image then appears too sharp with some distortions, but I can’t find a way to fix it.

I’ve tried finding it in the manual, and have scanned the many other posts here, but to no avail. The answer could be right before my eyes, but I can’t find it. Please help or tell me where the answer is.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited by five7chord; 02-14-2009 at 05:45 PM.
02-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to p. 154 in your K20D manual. There you will read about the Image Processing methods that are available to you. You can fine tune hue, saturation, contrast, sharpness and others. These will be applied only to jpeg files, not RAW. Since the preview on your LCD is the embedded jpeg, what you are seeing is the image processing settings being applied to the jpeg. Sounds like your shaprness settings have been bumped up too high. To get to them, hit the Function button then hit the OK button and the settings adjustment screen will appear.

I would recommend zeroing all the settings to start and then adjusting to taste later once you have had a go around with the natural look. If you are shooting RAW, these settings have no bearing on the final image, only the LCD jpeg.

Jack
02-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You can also see that effect on some image viewing programmes when looking at thumbnails, Adobe bridge for example. It shows a fuzzy preview, then refines it somhow to show a detailed one. No "problem" though.
02-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
All Helpers

Thanks. guys, for your time on my question. It seems that this activity is normal -it's just not addressed anywhere that I've looked.

Tom

02-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've noticed the same thing but not on live preview, but on viewing images on camera's screen. First the photo shows then a split second later, it sharpens itself a lot. I guess this is the time it takes de camera to fully "open" each file ans when rapidly browsing, it offer you only very low resolution thumbnails.

I find this not only logical but also convenient, since the camera will not waste proccessor speed trying to fully open every picture when viewing on screen.