Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Opinions - Best grip ergonomics

Hi All.

I'm curious to see which (out of all of the Pentax DSLR's) everyone has found to be the most comfortable to use. Especially all day.

I am writing this as I have just gifted my *DS to my sister (she needed something fast enough to follow the kids - her P&S wasn't really cutting it ), and again noted how good;

a) That the grip fitted my (larger) hands. I find on my K200d that the tips of my fingers are pressed too firmly into the body and if it is hot they actually start to become uncomfortable. Even though the K200d is bigger, I can hold the *DS more still (the SR on the K200d more than negates this though...).

b) That the pentaprism on the *DS (which is of course is brighter) allowed for easier reading of information - even with the magnifying eyepiece of the K200d.

c) That the shutter on the *DS was waaay louder than the K200d.

That's my experience, but what does everyone else think?
Which has the best grip?
Which has the quietest shutter?
Which has the best viewfinder and info readout?

Last edited by Clarkey; 02-14-2009 at 06:16 PM.
02-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Out of all Pentax DSLRs, I prefer the grip of the *ist DL/DS.
02-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Of all the DSLRs I have tried I most prefer the K-m, I know it is small and some find it cramped but it seems to fit my hands and long thin fingers perfetly.
02-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Hi All.

I'm curious to see which (out of all of the Pentax DSLR's) everyone has found to be the most comfortable to use. Especially all day.

a) That the grip fitted my (larger) hands. I find on my K200d that the tips of my fingers are pressed too firmly into the body and if it is hot they actually start to become uncomfortable. Even though the K200d is bigger, I can hold the *DS more still (the SR on the K200d more than negates this though...).

b) That the pentaprism on the *DS (which is of course is brighter) allowed for easier reading of information - even with the magnifying eyepiece of the K200d.

c) That the shutter on the *DS was waaay louder than the K200d.

That's my experience, but what does everyone else think?
Which has the best grip?
Which has the quietest shutter?
Which has the best viewfinder and info readout?
I have large hands and long fingers and find the K200D w/grip to be very comfortable. In fact, I think it's my fav dslr that I've used so far. I was using various Canons and at work we have EOS 1Ds (which I find cumbersome in many ways). Before that I had a couple of Fujis and before that I was shooting film with Nikons since my sophmore year at college (almost 20 years!).
Though my hands are shaped like an MD-12 I find the ergonomics of the K200 to be very good.
I haven't compared directly, but the K200 shutter does seem loud to me.
The info readout of the K200 is fine for me, but the viewfinder is a little dim and difficult to view and focus at times.

hth

02-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I have big hands...I have to search out work gloves that are least XL...large don't cut it. I'm a big guy and I found when checking out cameras a couple of years ago the standard Canon was too small,,,,the Nikon and Pentax (ist) were better.

I eventually bought a K10D and the battery grip. I like the additional area the battery grip gives to my hand...it's perfect for me, while the K10D without grip is a tad small....I only get a few fingers of grip on it.

Best grip of all the old Rosewood grip, optional on the monumental Pentax 6 X 7. Now there was a grip, delightful to hold...if I could of afforded it...it would be marked sold.

Sensuous to look at...that warm, natural ....genuine exotic wood, shaped perfectly for the human hand. I wish Pentax made one for the K10D.
02-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Forum Member

I have the K20d with grip and it fits my rather wide hands well. Without the grip, I had at least one finger that was swinging in the breeze below the regular grip. I also like the feel that the grip gives the camera with heavier lenses. It just seems to balance better when shooting handheld shots. The extra grip length was the main reason for buying the grip. The extra battery, controls and storage for card and remote are nice, but it was the extra length that I needed most. (I was loosing that tiny remote a lot, too. )
02-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #7

I miss the most the grip from my DS...that was perfect!
Now I have KM, and somehow the grip is more like 350d/xt.... square not rounded...