Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #1

SLR Lens Question

I will be going to disney world in September. And I am wondering I have a pentax ist slr camera with 3 lenses which of the lenses you would bring? I have the 18-55(came with camera), tamron 28-80, and an tamron 70-300. I don't mind bringing them all but I want to know your recommendations for each park. I am also going to be bringing my small digital (credit card size)

Descriptions of lenses:
18-55:
Ideal for beginners, the DA 18-55 provides a focal length covering a wide to moderate wide-angle range. Like all PENTAX lenses, the smc P-DA 18-55mm F4-5.6 zoom lens is treated with PENTAX's acclaimed smc coating for maximum light transmission, sharp definition, and high contrast while minimizing flare and ghost imaging.

AF28-80:
A standard zoom lens from a wide 28mm to a medium telephoto range of 80mm. The use of aspherical elements in the front group reduces the number of elements required, and the use of strong engineering plastic in the barrel makes the body a light 237g. Consequently, it is easy to carry.

AF70-300:
Tamron now offers a lightweight, compact, high-image-quality telephoto zoom lens with macro capability of 1:2 that can be used with digital cameras. This new lens is a Di type lens using an optical system with improved multi-coating designed to function with digital SLR cameras as well as film cameras.

With this 70-300mm telephoto zoom lens, flipping a macro switch in the focal length range of 180mm to 300mm obtains a maximum magnification ratio of 1:2 at a minimum focus distance as short as 37.4", enabling close-up shots of flowers, insects, and other objects that normally require the use of a specially designed macro lens. Moreover, this is a zoom lens that casually offers the distant capture and foreshortening effect pleasures of the 300mm ultra-telephoto world.

Thanks,
Brandie

03-29-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mnchknbrat1982 Quote
I will be going to disney world in September. And I am wondering I have a pentax ist slr camera with 3 lenses which of the lenses you would bring? I have the 18-55(came with camera), tamron 28-80, and an tamron 70-300. I don't mind bringing them all but I want to know your recommendations for each park.....
Brandie,

I don't think it's the world's greatest venue for serious photography. You might find that your compact digital camera does just fine.

But if you do want to take your digital SLR and if you can only bring one lens, I'd recommend either the Pentax 18-55 or the Tamron 28-80. I personally would go with the 28-80. To be honest, if it were me, I'd take my Tamron 28-200. There will be a few shots were a longer zoom will be handy. But most of the shots you're likely to take at Disney World are, I think, going to be closer up - too close for the 70-300. If you have children with you, they may want to have their photo taken with Mickey Mouse or one of the other Disney stars, and you'll probably be pretty close at the time.

Will
03-30-2007, 04:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How wide will the small point & shoot camera go? If it gives a wider field of view than the 28-80 does at 28mm, then I would consider taking the 28-80, as it will give you a considerable bit of extra telephoto coverage over the kit lens, and doing anything wider with the small camera.

Whether the 70-300 will come in handy or not really depends on what/how you like to shoot. If you mostly shoot things and people relatively close to you, you may find it to be just one more thing to lug around all day.
03-30-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

18-55mm. The 28-80 doesn't go wide enough. If you need some more reach with the 18-55, you can always crop a bit (or move closer), but you might not be able to move backwards with the 28-80 to get more in the frame.
Honestly, not sure why you have the 28-80, as it doesn't really offer much more than the kit lens. The difference between 55 and 80 isn't nearly as great as between 18 and 28.

The ONLY way I would recommend giving up the wide angle is if you are buying a high end f/2.8 zoom such as the 28-75mm (like the Tamron 28-75mm which I love!). A consumer 28-70/80 just doesn't make sense (to me, at least!)