Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pattern Moire? Help

I took some photos yesterday and upon uploading them to flickr noticed a regular square pattern in the foliage, bark most areas. I'm not sure if this is my fault or something else. I'm looking for some help.
Here is the link to the flickr page
Mt Diablo Snow - a set on Flickr

If you run the slide show I think it shows it pretty well.

kevin

02-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a lot of pictures, and it isn't clear exactly where to look. Couldn't you just post one crop that shows it clearly?

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 02-15-2009 at 10:20 PM.
02-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hmmm. Hi Marc. Thanks for your response. Although I'm noticing that when I crop the shot the effect goes away. hmmm. maybe my pp software doing something funky with it? confused but maybe it is software and not camera or me
02-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
Although I'm noticing that when I crop the shot the effect goes away. hmmm. maybe my pp software doing something funky with it?
Merely cropping makes it go away? That seems unlikely. *Resizing* the image definitely makes a lot of effects go away or be less noticeable, which is the whole reason people ask to see crops - so the image is *not* resized and yet still fits on the screen.

02-16-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
I took some photos yesterday and upon uploading them to flickr noticed a regular square pattern in the foliage, bark most areas. I'm not sure if this is my fault or something else. I'm looking for some help.
Here is the link to the flickr page
Mt Diablo Snow - a set on Flickr

If you run the slide show I think it shows it pretty well.

kevin
Even thugh your link shows nothing here, I can say there are two kinks of moire effects.

First one is produced in camera, when certain patterns are pictured and the "cadence" of such patterns closely matches the cadence of the sensor's pixels. This WAS usual with 1 to 3 megapix cameras with very sharp glass, shooting things like fabrics, tight screens (mosquito nets) and such. This type of moire pattern is actually in the pictures and will not go away by resizing unless you are creating thumbnails, in which such pattern is so greatly reduced in resolution that it turns into a blob.

The other is produced in your computer screen, when the actual pattern pictured is showed at a certain resolution, that closely matched your screens resolution. This moire pattern goes away if picture is resized or by simply enlarging or reducing in screen. You can tell if this is your case when the moire pattern "changes" its appeareance when you enlarge or reduce picture in screen.

I believe this is your case. Such moire pattern may well be not showing on everyone's screen. You simply, by accident, resized your picture in which a photographed pattern closely matched your screen's resolution.

A simple test to discard this, is to actually print the picture (high quality) by lab or inkjet with photo paper. I am almost shure the moire pattern will not show on the print.