Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #1

K100D Power Problems

My K100D has started having serious battery problems. It's worked fine for over a year; I've taken it on trips and been able to shoot all day on a single set of batteries. But now, I'm lucky if I get 25 shots from a fresh set of rechargeables.

The camera even shows "battery depleted" on brand new fresh 2700 rechargeables taken from another device that was working fine with them. I took a freshly charged set that I had just put into my AF360FGZ flash unit, which flashed just fine with them, into my camera, and it still says "battery depleted" after one or two pictures.

Is my baby sick? Can it be repaired for a reasonable amount of money, or is this perhaps God's way of telling me to ignore my wife and upgrade to a K20D instead?

02-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Batteries get old and tired with use although just a year's worth of use sounds somewhat quick. I switched to one-time use Lithium batteries for my *istD to circumvent the issue.
02-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
This is happening with brand new batteries.
02-15-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Well, sounds as if a trip to Pentax in Colorado is called for then.

02-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What kind of battery were you using?

There have been several threads on K1x0Ds being more sensitive to battery voltage than other models. Search for "K100D EneLoop" and you will find two pages of hits.

I tried a few brands of NiMh which were very frustrating. Fresh out of the charger they would show battery low after a few shots. A battery that the K100D called dead would work in my Fuji Point and Shoot for quite awhile.

I switched to Sanyo Eneloops per advice on this forum and the problem was solved. 2000 EneLoops last longer than 2700 regular NiMh because the voltage doesn't droop as much. One fellow even posted measurements of what voltage the K1x0D cuts out at compared to tother cameras. Also, EneLoops have a longer shelf life (less self-discharge).

I try and carry a second set of batteries wherever I go. If I do forget, there are always Alkaline batteries in my car for emergencies. I do not buy cameras that do not except AA cells.
02-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Easy way to troubleshoot it is to load up with lithium's.
If it works, then you have battery/ charger problems, if not, then off to Pentax
for repair.

Cheers, Mike.
02-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fnarf Quote
This is happening with brand new batteries.
what brand batteries are these?
02-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
All kinds. I've got Sanyo, Sony, Energizer, and Lenmar ones right here, some 2500, some 2700 mAh. Some are brand new, some a year old (but still only 20 or 30 charge cycles). They're all working batteries -- they show more than half power on a tester, they power my flash, they power a flashlight. But in the camera they barely register at all, and show depleted almost immediately.

02-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Have you read this?

Have you read this before?

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: When 1100mAh Li-ion RCR-V3s Outperform 2500mAh+ NiMH AAs ..

My K100D has started having serious battery problems. It's worked fine for over a year; I've taken it on trips and been able to shoot all day on a single set of batteries. But now, I'm lucky if I get 25 shots from a fresh set of rechargeables.

The camera even shows "battery depleted" on brand new fresh 2700 rechargeables taken from another device that was working fine with them. I took a freshly charged set that I had just put into my AF360FGZ flash unit, which flashed just fine with them, into my camera, and it still says "battery depleted" after one or two pictures.

Is my baby sick? Can it be repaired for a reasonable amount of money, or is this perhaps God's way of telling me to ignore my wife and upgrade to a K20D instead?
02-17-2009, 04:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

...they show more than half power on a tester, they power my flash, they power a flashlight. But in the camera they barely register at all, and show depleted almost immediately.
Have you tried with batteries/accumulators that show full power on a tester?

It is no wonder that other devices still work with cells which do not have sufficient voltage for the camera anymore.

Try new and fully charged Sanyo Eneloops. If the camera still refuses to work properly with them then I guess its voltage sensing circuit needs recalibration. Should be cheaper to fix than an upgrade to a K20D, but I don't want to spoil your excuse.
02-17-2009, 04:38 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
My K100 displayed similar problems a while ago - does it work for a few frames, then you need to turn it off, then its OK for a few frames more? Eventually my shutter would freeze .

I'd agree with earlier posters and suggest buying some lithiums (you can use them for emergencies and sensor cleaning later), and if its still a problem then it needs repair. I was told the electronics were the problem with my camera - luckily mine was still under warranty and has worked perfectly for 15,000 frames since then. Good luck
02-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #12

Original Poster
I've ordered some Eneloops. We'll see if that makes a difference. What worries me is that when the camera was new a set of brand new fully-charged 2500-2700 batteries would last FOREVER -- I took the camera on a trip and was firing off 500 shots a day, dawn to dusk. Now, those same batteries, and new ones fresh out of the package, last for half and hour, tops, usually much less than that. I think it is something to do with voltage detection as you say. I'm going to try some more experiments before giving in, I guess.

Where's the best place to buy Lithiums?
02-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I've been using Energizer 2500 mah batteries in my k100d for over two years and don't seem to get any trouble. You can now get more powerful batteries rated at 2700mah. I take between five to ten photos most weekends. But I sometimes find that the colder weather kills the life on my batteries. But I always keep a spare set in my bag.
02-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #14

I have exactly the same problem

My K100D worked fine for more than a year. I could take some hundred shots on one charge. Now I'm lucky to get 20 off freshly charged set or I may even get "battery depleted" message with batteries right from the charger. I think my LA Crosse BC700 charger is to blame cause the problem started approximately when my old cheap charger broke... I think that La Crosse charges Ni-MH batteries higher than 1.2V and it makes the camera "think" that I have depleted alkaline instead of overcharged NiMH but I have no scientific data to prove it. I can discharge the batteries in the charger and it shows that they have about 2200 - 2500mAh capacity ... Oh, and i forgot to mention that alkaline work ok.
02-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I've ordered some Eneloops. We'll see if that makes a difference. What worries me is that when the camera was new a set of brand new fully-charged 2500-2700 batteries would last FOREVER -- I took the camera on a trip and was firing off 500 shots a day, dawn to dusk. Now, those same batteries, and new ones fresh out of the package, last for half and hour, tops, usually much less than that. I think it is something to do with voltage detection as you say. I'm going to try some more experiments before giving in, I guess.

Where's the best place to buy Lithiums?
I get mine from Lowe's, little cheaper than Best buy or BJ`s.

Cheers, Mike.