Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Are you referring to the K20D?

There is some plastic on it but the rest is metal, isn't it?

Wow! I thought it was a magnesium body (like my MZ-S). I sure felt like metal but now on closer inspection I realize it is not!

So the Canon 50D (and its predecessors) is definitely more solid after all because it does have a magnesium body.

I'm not putting down my K20D but I am expressing surprise at this "discovery".
The K20 is listed as a plastic body with a metal substructure. This may, or may not, be more solid than a metal bodied camera.

02-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote

There are a whole lot of fan boys in this forum that can't/won't admit they are.

I am afraid that if you are seeking a DSLR for low light, no Pentax can compete with the Canon 40D or 50D.
Yeah, and there are some people who are disgruntled trolls who don't admit they are too. Look, I'm sorry you feel that pentax did you wrong and it does sound like an unfortunate situation that you decided to believe everything you heard from a marketing department/ customer service line that most people would have known to take their words w/ a grain of salt. But your constant characterizations that all pentax products are bad for one reason or another are annoying. Now I don't think calling you out makes me a fanboy, it's just to put your statements into context since you feel the need to go into every thread saying something bad about Pentax products.

To say that the K20d couldn't "compete" with a 40d or 50d in low light is nonsense. There are many examples on this forum that demonstrate that the k20, k200, k10, and k100d can provide great images in low light, even with high ISO. One feature that many people have found helpful in low light performance is image stabilization. On occasion, I've wanted to keep shutter speeds low, and the shake reduction feature greatly improves my chances of getting a sharp image.

Bottom line is that if you take the time to learn how to get the best out of a DSLR, you can get good images from all DSLR's on the market today in the vast majority of lighting conditions. What Pentax brings that are somewhat unique in the sub-1k price range is built in image stabilization, weather sealing (in the k10d, k20d, and k200d), good ergonomics, and a mounting system that allows you to use millions of lenses that have been made for pentax cameras over the years.
02-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Plastic body. With err, a steel chassis! Tough and durable. I know a few Canon owners that won't take their magnesium bodied cameras anywhere near a beach or salt water. Look up the reason why. I'll take the Poly carb, weather sealed steel chassis any day against any model.
Hi Peter.... I am shocked that you would make such an erroneous statement. Owners with Magnesium bodied cameras must beware of salt water? Are you serious?

If that were true, my Pentax MZ-S's would have long ago dissolved into powder. But actually, it still looks perfect despite its significant exposure to salt water.

I'm not privy to the actual manufacturing process for my MZ-S or the Canon 50D but I am certain that the body is actually an Aluminium-Magnesium alloy, rather than pure (and highly reactive ) Magnesium.
02-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

OT

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Yeah, and there are some people who are disgruntled trolls who don't admit they are too.
#1. You took my quote out of context. I was speaking about astrophotography type of low-light, long exposures. In that context, I am absolutely correct! It is extremely unlikely that anyone involved in astrophotography would say otherwise.

#2. Considering the number of threads where I have made useful contributions, I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word, Troll.

#3. I never called you out as a Fanboy. If you thought I was thinking specifically of you...um..well..

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
But your constant characterizations that all pentax products are bad for one reason or another are annoying.
#4. Not only is that a hugely inaccurate exaggeration of the truth. If you actually read my postings, you would notice that I write about many positive attributes of the Pentax camera's I own.

#5. Everyone in this forum is entitled to his or her opinions.

#6. Although, perhaps juvenile, my use of the word 'fanboy' was in response to an earlier poster. In was meant in jest... however, I should have known better than to incite certain members of this forum by repeating that word.

02-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #35
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot sometimes with a pro that has a well worn Canon 5D. He sees corrosion in a few spots from shooting a few wedding series at the beach. He also never thought the alloy would have any issue with salt spray or moisture. He's now switched to a Nikon D700 which has a poly -carbonate outer shell. I've seen the camera myself. Aluminum is no better around salt water either. I believe the camera is an Aluminum Magnesium alloy.

Again, I'll take a Poly carbonate body over a metal one any day. No dents or corrosion issues. Plus better impact resistance.
02-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I shoot sometimes with a pro that has a well worn Canon 5D. He sees corrosion in a few spots from shooting a few wedding series at the beach. He also never thought the alloy would have any issue with salt spray or moisture. He's now switched to a Nikon D700 which has a poly -carbonate outer shell. I've seen the camera myself. Aluminum is no better around salt water either. I believe the camera is an Aluminum Magnesium alloy.

Again, I'll take a Poly carbonate body over a metal one any day. No dents or corrosion issues. Plus better impact resistance.
I now concur with you!

Upon doing some further research, I have confirmed that both the K10D and the K20D are made with a fiber reinforced polycarbonate body (on a metal frame). And yes, polycarbonate is an extremely tough material! Another advantage to polycarbonate is its slightly better (than metal) shock absorption.

I am still surprised about the 5D body corrosion but perhaps my Pentax MZ-S is simply a more durable magnesium alloy body. Additionally, my MZ-S doesn't have a single dent nor is there any hint of corrosion (I estimate it has taken over 7K photos - so it is well used).
02-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #37
Veteran Member

You call 7,000 shots well used? I've got over 8,000 on my K10D and consider it hardly touched.

02-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #38
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Big difference between 7000 shots on a film camera and 8000 on a DSLR Jodokast. That's 292 rolls of 24 Exp film and just assuming a $10 cost per roll for cheap developing and a roll of film, That's $3000. That's a lot of frames.
02-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With regard to the corosion of a 5D or other magnesium bodied camera...

Cathodic protection of metal components on a boat, such as the hull, or drive apendages is usually through the use of MAGNESIUM, zinc or aluminium anodes. These are the metals that will corode faster then almost any other metal in a marine environment. By bolting a magnesium anode to your aluminium hull, you can protect the alumiunum from coroding.

I would expect you could do the same with a 5D or a D300 shell (paint and guts removed) and acheive similar results.

On the otherhand, the stuff you do not want to rust away tend to be made of plastic and stainless.

Now if they made a camera body of cast silicon-bronze, that would be cool. Heavy, but cool.