Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I won't devalue Nikon or Canon for this or any other purpose. But I cannot see, why the K20 would fall short of the expectations a photojournalist will have. Quite to the contrary:
- it's got a fine set of small and lightweight high-end prime lenses
- we have some very fine zooms in the wide angle to medium telephoto area, which is surely the focal length sector, which counts most for photojournalism
- the cameras are build to last, very robust, dust and waterproof, when used with the according lens
- you can use them with or without the grip to more battery capacity or to use it as lightweight as possible

This is just a small list of in my eyes makes the K20 a near-perfect camera for photojournalism. I wouldn't recommend the K20 for commercial sports photography or only reluctantly for commercial wildlife (as the really long lenses are missing from the current Pentax portfolio) - but otherwise...

Ben
the k20D is an amazing camera
I have one and I love it!! I think the results I am getting are better then my friends high end canon Nikon
for studio its a fantastic camera and out primes are the best.
but Pentax is lacking good fast zooms and these are super important for photojournalism. plus if need to get one shot of a celebrity form miles away inside a huge crowd I would like my camera to shoot as many frames per seconds that it can. that can make all the differences.
i think that with the 60-250 and maybe a new faster camera Pentax can compete but at the moment its though.
just my opinion, I am not a pro thou and I am using my k20D for every thing and there are situation that I need to work extra harder BC or my gear. on other situation my life are way easier.

02-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member
rfortson's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
the k20D is an amazing camera
I have one and I love it!! I think the results I am getting are better then my friends high end canon Nikon
for studio its a fantastic camera and out primes are the best.
but Pentax is lacking good fast zooms and these are super important for photojournalism. plus if need to get one shot of a celebrity form miles away inside a huge crowd I would like my camera to shoot as many frames per seconds that it can. that can make all the differences.
i think that with the 60-250 and maybe a new faster camera Pentax can compete but at the moment its though.
just my opinion, I am not a pro thou and I am using my k20D for every thing and there are situation that I need to work extra harder BC or my gear. on other situation my life are way easier.
Well, let's see where they are lacking.

You can get the following:

DA*16-50 f/2.8 weathersealed
DA*50-135 f/2.8 weathersealed
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
Sigma 100-300 f/4

That should cover pretty much any PJ assignment. I'm sure there are more, but this is just from memory. So, what's missing from the PJ's bag? Notice I didn't include any of the pancake primes that make great compact kits.

The only reason I'd not consider Pentax may be the lack of a professional service network, though the US now has that as well.
02-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #18
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 16
Buy it now.

If budget is a concern, bear in mind that the K20D replacement, when it eventually comes out, will probably enter the market in the $1,500+ price range. Why pay full price for a great camera, when the current (also excellent) model is discounted so much?

I also agree with everyone else that you are not likely yo find it much cheaper in the near term.
02-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 787
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Well, let's see where they are lacking.

You can get the following:

DA*16-50 f/2.8 weathersealed
DA*50-135 f/2.8 weathersealed
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
Sigma 100-300 f/4

That should cover pretty much any PJ assignment. I'm sure there are more, but this is just from memory. So, what's missing from the PJ's bag? Notice I didn't include any of the pancake primes that make great compact kits.

The only reason I'd not consider Pentax may be the lack of a professional service network, though the US now has that as well.
add :

sigma 50-150 f2.8 HSM II - one heck of a good, fast lens!

02-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member
Reportage's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 739
will you share your lenses or expect him to get his own lenses?

if he needs to get his own lens then best to let him choose what camera system he wants.
02-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Well, let's see where they are lacking.

You can get the following:

DA*16-50 f/2.8 weathersealed
DA*50-135 f/2.8 weathersealed
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
Sigma 100-300 f/4

That should cover pretty much any PJ assignment. I'm sure there are more, but this is just from memory. So, what's missing from the PJ's bag? Notice I didn't include any of the pancake primes that make great compact kits.

The only reason I'd not consider Pentax may be the lack of a professional service network, though the US now has that as well.

you guys are right if you take in to account 3rd party glass you can fill the gaps.
personally I like to use Pentax glass if I can and I do wish for better pro zoom line from Pentax.
I did not get Pentax for the low price I got Pentax for the glass and the fact that the 31mm was/is one of the best "normal" lenses for crop cameras. and it can also work on my film cameras.
I do think that Pentax have some amazing lenses. obviously... I bought Pentax.
I just wish for better zoom line
and if I were a sport photographer or a photojournalist I would wish for those extra 2-3 frames per second that can give you an edge.
by all means the K20D is an amazing camera i would buy it again today. its my love.
02-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mount Shasta
Posts: 185
I am a photo journalist who chose the K10D and will be getting the K20 soon. I have used the Canons and Nikons in our office and chose Pentax for a variety of reasons.
1. Stabilization. A must have. Field work ain't a studio and the money saved on lenses by having stabilization in camera is huge.
2. The extraordinary control Pentax gives with the two wheels and various modes they control. Canon and Nikon are not even close.
3. Excellent third party lenses.
4. Pentax DSLRs are a great value. Of course, for thousands of dollars more you can get more camera, but for the money Pentax can't be beat.
As for sports, I have never relied on a lot of fast frames. If you understand the sport, and you should to cover it, you often prefocus on where the probable action might occur and shoot.
For starter lenses, I recommend the Tamron 18-250, an underrated gem that also functions in low light very well and a Pentax 50 1.4 prime, an outstanding value, for low light. Beyond that, he will choose what works for him as his experience increases.
Where the K20 has it all over the K10D is high ISO. I perceive major improvements that place it on a par with far more expensive cameras. Don't believe the hype around inferior high ISO on the K20D. The Pentax approach allows the photographer to choose how high ISO is handled with control over detail.
Last but not least, my advice for aspiring photo journalists to get good pictures is to know your camera and TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES when covering a story.
02-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #23
Site Supporter
pentaxmz's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 659
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
no not at all

you can probably build a house with a tea spoon but an hummer would be better
and you can probably add sugar to your tea with an hummer but a tea spoon would be that best

technacly for photojournalism you will need other tools then Pentax have or your competition will get better shots. I shoot Pentax and only Pentax! fits my style. if I would become a pro photojournalist that must get a shot most of the time from far away on objects that are moving fast I would probably choose a different brand for the job.

does not mean that you can not get those shots with Pentax but your chances are lower.

and by no mean I am dissing Pentax

Oh man, when I read your comment about photojournalism.... I just thought that you were going to get the lashing of your life for that.

It's pretty bad when members have to be afraid of speaking their minds in this forum.

02-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #24
Site Supporter
pentaxmz's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 659
QuoteOriginally posted by tarsus Quote
I am a photo journalist who chose the K10D and will be getting the K20 soon. I have used the Canons and Nikons in our office and chose Pentax for a variety of reasons.
1. Stabilization. A must have. Field work ain't a studio and the money saved on lenses by having stabilization in camera is huge.
2. The extraordinary control Pentax gives with the two wheels and various modes they control. Canon and Nikon are not even close.
3. Excellent third party lenses.
4. Pentax DSLRs are a great value. Of course, for thousands of dollars more you can get more camera, but for the money Pentax can't be beat.
As for sports, I have never relied on a lot of fast frames. If you understand the sport, and you should to cover it, you often prefocus on where the probable action might occur and shoot.
For starter lenses, I recommend the Tamron 18-250, an underrated gem that also functions in low light very well and a Pentax 50 1.4 prime, an outstanding value, for low light. Beyond that, he will choose what works for him as his experience increases.
Where the K20 has it all over the K10D is high ISO. I perceive major improvements that place it on a par with far more expensive cameras. Don't believe the hype around inferior high ISO on the K20D. The Pentax approach allows the photographer to choose how high ISO is handled with control over detail.
Last but not least, my advice for aspiring photo journalists to get good pictures is to know your camera and TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES when covering a story.
I am guessing that you're an independent and on a budget. Nothing wrong with your choice of camera but many of the journalist (well actually camera people that accompany the journalist) that know do not choose Pentax because of slower focusing and less frames per second.

Again... that is not to say that Pentax won't do the job too.
02-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #25
Site Supporter
pentaxmz's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 659
QuoteOriginally posted by Shaws1 Quote
Hello all and thanks for the replies. I know my son likes Pentax as he has taken over use of my K100D and has gotten some very good shots, good enough to sell in an art gallery. I'm not really too concerned about the K20D replacement being much better than the K20 as I know the K20 is a great camera, especially for the current selling price. I'm more concerned about budget at this time as I had originally planned on a K200D but I think the advantages of the K20 are too great to pass up. I'm just trying to get a feel if the prices will move lower. I also need to purchase a few lens and a Tenba photo backpack.

Thanks
It certainly makes sense to stick with Pentax for lens compatibility. I am not privy to your budget, but if you're already considering the K20D, at its current price... then obviously you haven't a problem buying it now.

As to whether or not its price will further drop, the answer is yes it will.

When?

Anytime between now and a year from now.

If your son could make use of the camera now, then by all means buy it while it is on sale.

Just my humble opinion.
02-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Wait or K-m now.

A better replacement camera should come this summer as disclosed by Pentax senior official in Photokina:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Interview with Senior Pentax Official at Photokina

And the K-m has been performed better than the K20D in various aspects and particularly for a more acceptable indoor AF performance:

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: AF Speed Difference of K-m Vs K20D

Btw, why not just consider the K-m. Its cheaper and more suitable for beginners.

QuoteOriginally posted by Shaws1 Quote
Hello,

I have decided to buy my son a K20D for his High School graduation present which is in May. He will be attending college in the fall majoring in Communications/journalism/photojournalism. He is really enjoying photography and uses my K100D instead of the Sony H2 I bought him several years ago.

The question is do I pull the trigger now to take advantage of the $100 instant rebate that expires on 2/22 and the three year extended warranty or wait until after Pentax releases the K20D replacement (assuming this actually happens)and hope for an additional price drop on the K20?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
02-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member
xjjohnno's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Melbourne Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,115
Deep inside you really know what you want to do, go on and buy it before your currency takes another tumble and the K20d doubles in price.
As to whether your son wants a Pentax, well you know it will have a good home if he doesn't want it.
02-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
but Pentax is lacking good fast zooms and these are super important for photojournalism. plus if need to get one shot of a celebrity form miles away inside a huge crowd I would like my camera to shoot as many frames per seconds that it can. that can make all the differences.
i think that with the 60-250 and maybe a new faster camera Pentax can compete but at the moment its though.
just my opinion, I am not a pro thou and I am using my k20D for every thing and there are situation that I need to work extra harder BC or my gear. on other situation my life are way easier.
I see what you mean. But the Paparazzi-approach wasn't what I understood to be photojournalism... I was talking about reportage and then the old Robert Capra wisdom is valid: if your photos are not good enough, you where not close enough (not the correct wording, but the gist of it...) Photojournalists usually do not work with really long teles, as the image quality degrades to much due to atmospheric disturbances. Also, inside towns, your subjects are usually too near for using lenses above the 200-300mm range max.

In real photojournalism, y<ou want the final viewer to get involved with the image and the situation you photograph and this can be achieved by going as close to the subject as possible and use a wide angle lens.

Ben
02-17-2009, 03:52 AM   #29
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gnesta, Sweden
Posts: 373
Happy k20d user

Yesterday I shoot hockey with a 16-45 4f lens and it did a good job.

If you really want to learn and study photography you can't beginn with mind about the gear you use.

Pentax are a slower camera then nikon and canon, but that's not mean it's slow. only that it is not the fastest.

The k20d is enough for everyones need.It really is! He will be happy with it.

Buy now, becasue Of some strange reson, cameras always turn very expensive when a uppgrade hit the market. (just look at D200 and Pentax k10d, here in sweden they cost now almost the same as the uppgrade)

Congrat him, and im sure he can never get a better present than this!

Cheers
02-17-2009, 04:06 AM   #30
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 12
Additional thoughts

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
...More important, does your son want a Pentax?
Additionally, how does the K-20 fit his hands? If the body is identical in size/shape to your K-200, you have no worries there.

When he used your camera, he took advantage of what existed. But when he gets his own, the more so since he will be using it quasi-professionally, lots of smaller details come under consideration (need to, that is). Why not forget the cultural penchant for "a surprise" and let him into the decision-making loop? Oh, yes, if he will have to go out to get that assignment somewhat without regard to the weather, you might want the lenses to be sealed as well as the body.

You will be getting him a dedicated flash and a decent tripod, won't you? As a hobbyist, he could elect not to shoot; but on assignment, things get more demanding of him. Still not as bad as for a newspaper or some other organization, but still, some pressure on him.

Just some thoughts.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k20d, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I buy Pentax Kx or wait for PMA 2010? DavoMrMac Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 02-11-2010 03:15 PM
Wait, what? (Swedes buy silver! K200D for super price in this thread) Erik Pentax News and Rumors 31 02-26-2009 05:23 PM
wanna buy a lens, shud i wait? aamir515 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 11-08-2008 10:46 PM
Wait or buy? anthropas Photographic Technique 25 07-18-2007 02:31 AM
DS owner, buy k10d or wait little bit longer ? feronovak Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 05-05-2007 06:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top