Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 04:09 AM   #31
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 12
Possible error in apprehension

QuoteOriginally posted by Cicak Quote
If budget is a concern, bear in mind that the K20D replacement, when it eventually comes out, will probably enter the market in the $1,500+ price range. Why pay full price for a great camera, when the current (also excellent) model is discounted so much?

I also agree with everyone else that you are not likely yo find it much cheaper in the near term.
The way I took it in, he asked about yet better deals on the K-20 after the K-30 hit the shelves.

02-17-2009, 05:41 AM   #32
Forum Member
Luciferase's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 86
QuoteOriginally posted by Shaws1 Quote
He is really enjoying photography and uses my K100D instead of the Sony H2 I bought him several years ago.
I think you should give him your k100 and buy yourself a k200 or better for him, buy him a k200 and a lens of his choice.

I mean, he doesn't use a camera for living now, does he? Wait until he does and then he'll buy a camera with more functions with his hard earn money!

Making things easy for him is good, but thinking for him is better!
02-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #33
Veteran Member
rfortson's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,129
Well, my advice would be to buy the K20D because it's such a great deal, and that's typically what I'd do.

However, last year at this time, I bought the K20D as soon as it came out and paid a premium for it. And I've loved it ever since, so I guess I didn't "walk the walk".

If you get the K20D, you won't be disappointed. If you get the K30D, I'm sure you'll be ecstatic, as it will be (by definition) an upgrade to a great camera. Either way, you win!
02-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #34
Veteran Member
GoldenWreckedAngle's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 341
Boy, you are going to get a lot of opinions, but if this was my son I would get him a factory refurbished camera, with warranty, from one of the industry standard brands. He will have a lot better chance of finding gear to borrow or rent and he will be building his long term gear collection around a fairly stable long range platform with true professional models that he is likely to encounter when he has earned his wings.

It's not a matter of whether the K20D can hang with "the big boys" or not. It can, for now, but what is he going to do when he is on an assignment that demands a high end, full frame professional body, or a faster frame rate, or TTL compatible radio remotes, etc.? He is entering an industry that is fueled by, and geared toward the big two.

At this stage in his career a K20D is far more than he probably needs, but this isn't the stage he is aiming for.


Last edited by GoldenWreckedAngle; 02-17-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: because I'm not a "proffesional" speller
02-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #35
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
what is he going to do when he is on an assignment that demands a high end, full frame professional body, or a faster frame rate, or TTL compatible radio remotes, etc.?
It's hard to make guessing decisions based on "what if".
I guess if you want to play it safe, get him a Nikon D90 and if he's working for a company, they'll probably have Canon or Nikon lenses/flashes he can borrow. But then what if he works for a company that standardized on Canon?
We can't foresee the future...take a best guess and go for it... Just don't to a 100% mortgage w/ no income verification
02-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #36
Veteran Member
GoldenWreckedAngle's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 341
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
It's hard to make guessing decisions based on "what if".
I guess if you want to play it safe, get him a Nikon D90 and if he's working for a company, they'll probably have Canon or Nikon lenses/flashes he can borrow. But then what if he works for a company that standardized on Canon?
We can't foresee the future...take a best guess and go for it... Just don't to a 100% mortgage w/ no income verification
Agreed, but the point is that I don't know of a single journalistic publication in America using Pentax cameras. It's worth noting that I've never been in any of them but I don't even think any of the Pros highlighted on Pentaxian.com are in journalism. The K20D is a true beauty but she's not booking many dates for "the big dance."
02-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #37
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
Agreed, but the point is that I don't know of a single journalistic publication in America using Pentax cameras. It's worth noting that I've never been in any of them but I don't even think any of the Pros highlighted on Pentaxian.com are in journalism. The K20D is a true beauty but she's not booking many dates for "the big dance."
I am, for instance...

Ben
02-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #38
Site Supporter
pentaxmz's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 659
Just do it!

However, consider this... you son is interested in Photography. That is great because there are a lot worse things he could be interested in. Obviously, you are a good role model for your son.

Please don't take this as rude but... stop asking us know-it-alls and just go and buy him a camera already! Furthermore, price be damned! So what if you save a few or lose a few dollars. It's your son, not the next door neighbor's son!

Make it a big deal, you know... a camera case, batteries, filters, and other accessories. Perhaps a book or two - be sure to write an inspiring message in the book. If you're on a budget, give him a lessor model but still do the rest.

I guaranty that your son will *always* remember the moment when you give him this gift!

Now go do it now before he discovers rock and roll, sex, and drugs.

Okay, that was just my humble opinion!

02-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #39
jay
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Posts: 65
You can't wait for the K30D to come out. Even if it's announced in the next week or so, it's not like it's going to come out for several months. And everything that we're seeing suggests an incremental upgrade anyway. Prices for the K20D will stay fairly steady -- though used prices will drop a tad (not much though) when the K30D is *released* (note that I didn't say "announced")

Your son would do well with a K10D/K20D and my personal favorite for a standard zoom, the Tammy 17-50mm f/2.8. B&H has the lens for $399 right now, and it's a great combination.

For photojournalism, the K20D's ISO 6400 is going to help out a lot -- but fast, wide glass is important.

But also look seriously at the smaller bodies. I work at my college newspaper, and although our photo editor has a 1D Mk III, a 5D mk II, a treasure chest of L-series Canon glass (up to 400/2.8!), he LOVES his little *ist DS2 I got him for a birthday/graduation present last year as a (rather expensive) gag gift.

I ran into him doing some street photography with his girlfriend a few months ago, and he was shooting on the *ist DS -- with three shiny new pancake lenses he bought for it :-)

And hopefully you'll be able to buy him a Pentax-branded Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens for the holiday season next year :-)


EDIT: And what's all this bullshit about Pentax not being suitable for journalism use? Most college newspapers have Canon/Nikon pool gear. When I'd shoot, I'd have my Pentax and my fast primes in one hand, and one of our newspaper's 1D Mk II's with L zooms in the other hand. I had just as many Pentax shots printed as I did from the pool gear.

...And I have one story floating around in my head of one of the fraternity houses catching on fire at night, during a rain storm. I showed up with my K10D and shot away while all the other newspaper photogs were trying to wrap their gear in plastic bags and stuff.

Coupled with a wireless flash (that can be triggered without some extra bulky trigger (a la Canon), I brought back some of the best pictures we ran, and converted at least two staff photogs to Pentax.

Our photo editor joked about selling off the Canon pool gear and replacing it all with Pentax stuff.

So, enough nonsense, please :-)

Last edited by jay; 02-17-2009 at 02:11 PM.
02-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #40
Veteran Member
GoldenWreckedAngle's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 341
QuoteOriginally posted by jay Quote
EDIT: And what's all this bullshit about Pentax not being suitable for journalism use? ...
I didn't say it wasn't suitable, I said it wasn't supported.

QuoteOriginally posted by jay Quote
Our photo editor joked about selling off the Canon pool gear and replacing it all with Pentax stuff.
There ya go... We all love a good camera, and we all love a good joke.
02-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #41
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 6
Original Poster
K20D-Buy Now

Just wanted to thank all of you for your opinions and suggestions. I did discuss this gift with my son--he knew a camera would be coming for graduation--but we discussed the K200D which he thought was too expensive a gift and he wanted to contribute some money towards the purchase. I told him not to worry about it, he earned it.

Anyhow, last night I had placed the K20 along with an extra battery, card and 18-55 lens in my cart at BH Photo and was planning to use the 6 month no pay feature. I planned on ordering it this morning and went to check the cart and no more K20. I called BH and they confirmed they are out of stock with no new shipment in for at least a week or so, after the $100 instant rebate expires.

So, a panic call to my wife at work, some on line shopping, some more out of stock, but we finally ended up ordering from Buydig.Com at a fair price, $729., free shipping. Also ordered a Pentax 18-55 lens, extra battery and a Sandisk 8GB Extreme lll HC card all for under $900. Still blew the budget and I still have to buy the Tenba photo/PC backpack.

I plan on giving him my Pentax 50-200 and Tamron 70-300mm telephoto/macro. Along with the 18--55, at least he will have some "ok" lens to get started. We will add some better lens before he starts college this fall.

As some of you have said, who knows what will happen with the price and new model introductions and I didn't want to wait too long. I also noticed some vendors increasing prices on both the K200 and K20. Time will tell but I'm not going to worry about, too many other things to worry about like paying tuition!

Again, thanks to everyone.
02-19-2009, 02:13 PM   #42
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,211
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
That is a very important question there! I am not sure how many times I have been discriminated for using pentax gear...
Apparently he likes Pentax!

QuoteQuote:
He is really enjoying photography and uses my K100D instead of the Sony H2 I bought him several years ago.
02-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #43
Site Supporter
vagrant10's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: portland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,362
Wow... I'd love to be around when your son opens his gift! Make sure your batteries are charged in your camera and grab some of those pictures! Of course we'd love to see your son's reaction if you post those pictures here. What a lucky guy!

If/when you're ready to get some other lenses, the marketplace on this website has been very fruitful for me. You get to know certain people who post comments and pictures and when they decide to sell some of their glass, you will have a pretty good sense of who these people are and how they treat their gear. I've bought several things from the marketplace without incident and saved a chunk of change over new gear.

Well hope your son captures some great images that you can hang in your house with pride! Congrats to both of you!
02-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #44
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by Shaws1 Quote
Just wanted to thank all of you for your opinions and suggestions. I did discuss this gift with my son--he knew a camera would be coming for graduation--but we discussed the K200D which he thought was too expensive a gift and he wanted to contribute some money towards the purchase. I told him not to worry about it, he earned it.

Anyhow, last night I had placed the K20 along with an extra battery, card and 18-55 lens in my cart at BH Photo and was planning to use the 6 month no pay feature. I planned on ordering it this morning and went to check the cart and no more K20. I called BH and they confirmed they are out of stock with no new shipment in for at least a week or so, after the $100 instant rebate expires.

So, a panic call to my wife at work, some on line shopping, some more out of stock, but we finally ended up ordering from Buydig.Com at a fair price, $729., free shipping. Also ordered a Pentax 18-55 lens, extra battery and a Sandisk 8GB Extreme lll HC card all for under $900. Still blew the budget and I still have to buy the Tenba photo/PC backpack.

I plan on giving him my Pentax 50-200 and Tamron 70-300mm telephoto/macro. Along with the 18--55, at least he will have some "ok" lens to get started. We will add some better lens before he starts college this fall.

As some of you have said, who knows what will happen with the price and new model introductions and I didn't want to wait too long. I also noticed some vendors increasing prices on both the K200 and K20. Time will tell but I'm not going to worry about, too many other things to worry about like paying tuition!

Again, thanks to everyone.
This has been a nice story, and I'm glad you shared. A gift like this is something I'm sure he'll appreciate. Make sure you point him at this forum!

Also, think about suggesting some older MF lenses - M 50 1.7 comes to mind - once he masters MF, he'll have a superb, extremely sharp low-light lens for $45 or so.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k20d, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I buy Pentax Kx or wait for PMA 2010? DavoMrMac Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 02-11-2010 03:15 PM
Wait, what? (Swedes buy silver! K200D for super price in this thread) Erik Pentax News and Rumors 31 02-26-2009 05:23 PM
wanna buy a lens, shud i wait? aamir515 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 11-08-2008 10:46 PM
Wait or buy? anthropas Photographic Technique 25 07-18-2007 02:31 AM
DS owner, buy k10d or wait little bit longer ? feronovak Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 05-05-2007 06:38 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top