Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K20D--Buy now or wait

Hello,

I have decided to buy my son a K20D for his High School graduation present which is in May. He will be attending college in the fall majoring in Communications/journalism/photojournalism. He is really enjoying photography and uses my K100D instead of the Sony H2 I bought him several years ago.

The question is do I pull the trigger now to take advantage of the $100 instant rebate that expires on 2/22 and the three year extended warranty or wait until after Pentax releases the K20D replacement (assuming this actually happens)and hope for an additional price drop on the K20?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

02-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would hold out as long as you can. More important does your son want a Pentax.,
02-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Impossible to answer this. The K20D is a great camera now. I just bought one since the offers were too good. There is always a better camera over the horizon.
02-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My opinion is that the k20d is a great buy for the price and the price will be unlikely to fall a lot more. But the issue has to do with what's over the horizon... there's a chance that a new camera will be announced - this is far from certain - I have no info whether a new cam is imminent nor can I speculate what changes this camera might have. But new models tend to command higher prices, so buying when a product is near it's lows in a price cycle always makes for a good value proposition. While I'm excited about what improvements Pentax makes on it's next generation camera, I know that I'm very pleased with the K20d and it's improvements over the previous generation camera which I also have. I know that I could use this camera for many, many years and be pleased with the results...

Congrats to your son on graduation! And thumbs up to you for considering such a great gift!

02-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
Thumper473

$100 rebate on an already nicely priced camera that has been out there for a while, debugged and is as highly regarded as the K20 vs waiting for a rumored new camera with the inevitable new model bugs, new model price and probably just a moderate gain in megapixel plus a few new bells and whistles?

I would buy the K20 now.
02-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

to be very very honest
for photojournalism I would have though time choosing Pentax
I would need the faster frames per second
and more tele zooms that Pentax have to offer right now
its unfortunate but pentax gear is not the best for the job
02-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
to be very very honest
"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."

02-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."

no not at all

you can probably build a house with a tea spoon but an hummer would be better
and you can probably add sugar to your tea with an hummer but a tea spoon would be that best

technacly for photojournalism you will need other tools then Pentax have or your competition will get better shots. I shoot Pentax and only Pentax! fits my style. if I would become a pro photojournalist that must get a shot most of the time from far away on objects that are moving fast I would probably choose a different brand for the job.

does not mean that you can not get those shots with Pentax but your chances are lower.

and by no mean I am dissing Pentax
02-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
K20D-Buy now or wait

Hello all and thanks for the replies. I know my son likes Pentax as he has taken over use of my K100D and has gotten some very good shots, good enough to sell in an art gallery. I'm not really too concerned about the K20D replacement being much better than the K20 as I know the K20 is a great camera, especially for the current selling price. I'm more concerned about budget at this time as I had originally planned on a K200D but I think the advantages of the K20 are too great to pass up. I'm just trying to get a feel if the prices will move lower. I also need to purchase a few lens and a Tenba photo backpack.

Thanks
02-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
BPT
Veteran Member

I honestly dont think the prices will go much lower then they are now. Right now body only runs around $700-800, It might go as low as $600-700 at some point in the future but who knows when. Look at the price of the K10D, it still is pretty high in comparison.
02-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
Thumper473

Shaws1,
Please excuse my manners or lack thereof. I failed to welcome you to the forum. Welcome to the forum!

I hear you about budget. Almost done putting my son through an institute of higher learning myself. That's why I bought a K10D instead of a K200 or K20. Know what? Turns out I got a really great camera at a really great price! Folks here were just about 50/50 on which one to buy but all of them were correct in that no matter which model I chose I would not be disappointed! I got mine off of Cameta Camera on Amazon.com for $399.99 for the body, free shipping and no sales tax. You might want to check them out:

Cameta Camera @ Amazon.com: Pentax - Digital SLRs / Digital Cameras

Good luck and keep us posted.

Eric
02-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Forum Member

you can probably build a house with a tea spoon but an hummer would be better
and you can probably add sugar to your tea with an hummer but a tea spoon would be that best
I'm sad that you think that a Pentax would be considered a tea spoon compared to it's competition (hummers).

IMHO, better cameras make better crutches. Having a better camera doesn't make someone a better photographer. He's going to school to get better at photography, not to keep up with the Jones'es.

I vote for K20D now.
02-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
to be very very honest
I won't devalue Nikon or Canon for this or any other purpose. But I cannot see, why the K20 would fall short of the expectations a photojournalist will have. Quite to the contrary:
- it's got a fine set of small and lightweight high-end prime lenses
- we have some very fine zooms in the wide angle to medium telephoto area, which is surely the focal length sector, which counts most for photojournalism
- the cameras are build to last, very robust, dust and waterproof, when used with the according lens
- you can use them with or without the grip to more battery capacity or to use it as lightweight as possible

This is just a small list of in my eyes makes the K20 a near-perfect camera for photojournalism. I wouldn't recommend the K20 for commercial sports photography or only reluctantly for commercial wildlife (as the really long lenses are missing from the current Pentax portfolio) - but otherwise...

Ben
02-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #14

K20D gets my vote

Buy the K20D now. I can give you two good reasons - 1) its a solid performer 2) 3 year warranty is a great thing to have.
02-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
More important does your son want a Pentax.,

That is a very important question there! I am not sure how many times I have been discriminated for using pentax gear...