Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #16

poked my head into the marketplace and this is available for a good price as well , though I know waiting a few extra days to play with your toy is difficult
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/50020-smc-penta...-shipping.html

02-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I think it's down to the Pentax and the Canon for the final draw.
consider the fact that canon doesn't have in-body image stabilization, you have to buy more expensive lenses with integrated stabilization, and not every lens is available in stabilized flavour, while every single lens mounted on pentax SR camera is automagically stabilized.
02-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Consider the K200d

I was in exactly the same boat last year. Wanted a new DSLR, but had to convince the mrs. about the expense. I saw the K100, K100 super, and K110 all selling around $400 - $500 with the kit lens. I considered whether I'd be happier with a $800+ K200, but didn't relish putting out an extra couple of C notes. The 200 gives you 10.1 MP, plus weather sealing. Then I saw Amazon had a new K200 for $677 with lens, plus PENTAX was offering a $100 rebate. No brainer, I got the K200 (and my rebate) for $577 and am so glad I did. I love it. Taken it horse back riding, birding in sub zero temps, and it always performs flawlessly.

Another thing about Pentax vs. Canon. Both are excellent cameras with excellent lenses (except I think I read that the Canon Rebel xTi has a crappy kit lens). BUT, if you're on a budget like me, Pentax wins. All lenses back to 1973 can be used, and they're all Shake-Reduction if you get the 100 super or newer because of the camera's built in SR. Plus, if you don't have any Pentax lenses, you can find them used at very affordable prices. If you want lenses for a new Canon, your old ones may not work, and you have to shell out a lot of $$ for SR lenses.

You may sa-a-a-y that you're not going to buy many lenses. But this DSLR photo disease is very contagious and don't be suprised if you start eyeing bigger and faster lenses, as well as flashes, tri-pods, etc. You want good glass. Cheapo 3rd party lenses can ruin some potentially great shots. Pentax glass is affordable and notoriously high quality.

Look for deals on Amazon or elsewhere, and pray that Pentax will have a rebate for the K200 or K2000 sometime soon.
02-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I bought my K100D Non-Super New for $320 body only after $50 rebate, shipped a yr and a half ago. I chose Pentax because it was by far the least expensive body around, especially with the onboard SR.

However, If I were buying new I'm not sure Pentax would win. I'm not sure it's the value leader as far and away as it once was.

You can buy a new Canon EF 50mm F1.8 AF lens for less than $100 NEW. The least expensive Pentax 50mm AF lens is faster, and probably better but is TWICE as much.

You can buy a NEW Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Autofocus Lens for less than $350!

So, I won't tell you not to look hard at Canon or Nikon.

Regards,
Mike

02-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Looking at our finances and the state of the economy and job security I'm starting to lean toward the *ist DL after talkin to the wife. It has all the features I was originally looking for when starting my quest. Yes, it won't have SR but it has everything else I think I need. The reason I'm going to an SLR is so that I can have manual focus and zoom and less shutter lag. And compared to something like the Nikon D40 it's a steal.
02-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
You can buy a new Canon EF 50mm F1.8 AF lens for less than $100 NEW. The least expensive Pentax 50mm AF lens is faster, and probably better but is TWICE as much.

You can buy a NEW Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Autofocus Lens for less than $350!
True, but you picked pretty much the most obvious focal lengths where Canon is cheaper, and you also made it an unfair comparison by comparing Canon's 50/1.8 against Pentax's 50/1.4. If you compared Canon's 50/1.4, you'd find it *more* expensive.

Overall, you'll find some lenses more expensive in Canon than Pentax, and some the other way around. And some lenses Canon provides for which there is no Pentax equivalent, and some where the reverse is true. Overall, it would be a wash, except for one big thing: stabilization. Building a *stabilized* collection in Canon will cost dearly, and of course for many lenses it just isn't available. Also consider that with Pentax it is often possible to build a *very* cheap collection by using old MF lenses.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 02-16-2009 at 08:12 PM.
02-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #22

You just need to get into the game...and the DL is a solid start.

Good decision based on your immediate needs, the economy, etc. You can always upgrade the body in the future if you find this hobby worth seriously pursuing

SR is in fact an incredible invention, but I remember seeing a photo or two taken before SR existed, and they looked pretty good

I started with the K1000 since it was the least expensive camera in the shop...back in the day...and I certainly miss "the day."

02-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #23
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CalendarGuy Quote
You just need to get into the game...and the DL is a solid start.

Good decision based on your immediate needs, the economy, etc. You can always upgrade the body in the future if you find this hobby worth seriously pursuing

SR is in fact an incredible invention, but I remember seeing a photo or two taken before SR existed, and they looked pretty good

I started with the K1000 since it was the least expensive camera in the shop...back in the day...and I certainly miss "the day."
The K1000 was high tech for me. My last good cameras were a Yashica rangefinder and TLR, doing cibachrome in the bathroom. This will probably be hog heaven.
02-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #24

Sorry for assuming that you are new to photography in general...my bad!

TLRs...Don't get me started!

02-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #25
Banned

Original Poster
Not new to photography but haven't been 'serious' since the early 80's. No offense taken, heck I can't remember anything from the 80's including how to take photos.
02-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #26
Forum Member

Too late?

Dude!

Let me know if this interests you or not.

A guy in my area is selling his K10D set up:
pentax k10d camera
battery charger
remote switch
pentax battery grip d-bg2
pentax 50mm 1.4 lens
pentax 18-55mm lens 3.5-5.6
pentax 50-200mm lens 1.4-5.6
pentax 77mm lens 1.8
pentax flash af 540 fgz

for $1000.

Now, I could use some of those lenses, but not the camera, charger, battery grip, 18-55 lens (have it), or the flash.

My thought is, if you'd like the camera, grip, charger, 18-55 lens, and flash - we could split the cost 50-50. So you'd get one heckuva camera set-up for only $500! And I'd get some nice lenses etc for a decent price.

If this interests you, we could arrange something. Let me know. Send me a message or reply through this thread.
02-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Amazon has the newer version of the 18-55 kit lens for 99.95. In some tests I have seen it is an improvement over the first version. Maybe you can buy the body from Ritz, and get the lens from Amazon, also check B&H and Adorama for the II version of the kit lens. Here is the Amazon link.....
Amazon.com: Pentax DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II Lens for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
02-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #28
Banned

Original Poster
I got up this morning and after sleeping on it decided to go with the *ist DL. They showed to be out of stock. Checked again a few hours later and they were back. So I pulled the trigger on the DL. It looks like I can sell my P&S for about 100 bucks on eBay. So for less than 200 out of pocket I'm in DSLR land. Not bad.

Thanks for all of the help. I'm sure I'll be hanging out here a bit more.
02-17-2009, 02:03 PM   #29
Inactive Account

I got a K100 two years ago and it's a great camera. One of the reasons why I went out and got a k100 was because you can use standard batteries in it.
02-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #30

Hi, did you take a look at ONECALL website...they have K100d Super for sale for $300 + fedex shipping. I think it might suit your needs...regards