Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I just received my *ist DL from Ritz. I'm impressed with the look and feel. They said some could be display models but mine appeared to be unopened. Everything was still in the bags and untouched. I can't play with it here at work but I'm ready to give it a go when I get home. A lot of camera for 263 bucks.

02-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I just received my *ist DL from Ritz. I'm impressed
A lot of camera for 263 bucks.
You are not kidding - considering there are p&s digicams more than that.

Congratulations with your great purchase - hope you enjoy it -
the *ist DL is a very capable dSLR.

The only hint for now is the batteries to use -
Pentax dSLRs are notoriously fussy with AA batteries.

Regular/Alkalines batteries are not recommended - they are only useful for checking out the camera.

Rechargeable is the way to go for many people. Don't be seduced by higher capacity NiMH rechargeables as they have a real tendency to develop high rates of self-discharge or lose their capacity - so that when you return to the camera after any period of non-use the batteries are flat....

A much better solution, as recommended by many here, is to use eneloops - which are the newer LSD (Low Self-Discharge) NiMH rechargeable batteries -
the Duracell Pre-Charged when made in Japan with white top surrounding the +ve button are confirmed re-badged eneloops.
Get a reasonably smart charger - one that will automatically detects when the batteries reach full charge.

Lithium batteries can also be used - like the Energizer e2 lithium AAs or lithium CR-V3 - but these are Non-rechargeable and cost quite a bit more than regular batteries - in fact at most stores Energizer e2 lithiums are almost as expensive as eneloops/Durcell Pre-Charged.

from page 27 of the *ist DL manual -
02-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #33
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the tip but I already have a load of AA Nimh batteries. But out of habit I charge them before I head out. And they are usually topped off weekly because I use them for bike lights etc. I may replace them with Eneloops next time I buy batteries but I'll probably use these for a while.

So far I really like the camera. I'm getting used to using a real camera again. I keep hitting the AE-L button because when I want to zoom that is where the zoom buttons were on my old P&S. But I'm already getting used to that and the general controls.

The only problem that I have is that it appears that the CD with the photo browser is bad. I'm trying to install on my mac and the installation never seems to start. I'm going to grab the installer from the web and see if that works better.

So far I'm very impressed. And a coworker is buying my 2 year old P&S for my asking price. I'm into a SLR with lens for 170 bucks out of pocket. Sweet!