Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New K100D Super?

I'm looking at buying my first DSLR and have a limited budget of 500 bucks. I found a 100D Super at our local ritz for 350.00 + 100 bucks for the kit lense, I think it is the 18-55. The K200D is just a bit out of my price range, it's hard enough to justify it to the missus at 500 bucks.

I'm also looking at the Nikon D40, Olympus E-420 and Canon Rebel XS. I've handled all of them except the olympus and the K100 just felt better in my hands. I also like the top mounted LCD and ability to do a DOF preview on the K100D. I'm also a fan of standard batteries. Is this a decent deal or would I be better off with one of the other cameras.

And yes this is my first post and I realize that the responses may be a bit biased here.

Thanks.

Edit: How about the *ist DL for 263 from wolf, would that be a good deal for a starter?

Last edited by VaughnA; 02-16-2009 at 10:50 AM.
02-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I found a 100D Super at our local ritz for 350.00 + 100 bucks for the kit lense, I think it is the 18-55.
The Pentax K100D is a really good dSLR.
The Super has minor, but worthwhile, improvments.

$350 for the body only seems a fair price, but combined with the kit 18-55 lens may just be on the expensive side (but that's a hard call, since it is hard to find a new K100D Super these days).

However if you can talk them into selling you the combination at $400 -
then it'd be a good price.

I still use the K100D - particularly like the performance at higher ISO sensitivities - ISO1600 is acceptable for my usage and there is one step better at ISO3200 - for "emergency" use.
Like and actually use the "kit" zoom lenses - 18-55 and 50-200.

shot on K100D -

rest of album
02-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
I doubt that Ritz would bargain on the price. If I bought just the body could I get a better lens for about the same money? I would consider a fixed lens if the price was right.
02-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #4

you can usually find a new 18-55mm kit lens on ebay for $50 new, or on the forums for around that price if you dont want to hassle with ebay.
-southy

02-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I doubt that Ritz would bargain on the price. If I bought just the body could I get a better lens for about the same money? I would consider a fixed lens if the price was right.
It's always worthwhile asking "nicely" if a combined price could be lower.

Remember
(1) they are probably trying shift the K100D Super as it is discontinued
...and you are a potential "serious" buyer.
(2) try it - you have nothing to lose by asking....

Personally I like the 18-55 kit zoom lens - there isn't much that can match its versatility and quality -
and the versatile aspect is important to me -
eg: shooting available light where I had to use the "emergency" ISO3200 -
one could argue I could have used the f/1.4 50mm prime -
BUT there was no way I could have got the wide angle full stage shots with that lens........

album - all shots at ISO3200
02-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Got a link? I think that's too low for a new one. If you're right I'll buy one. Heck, I'll buy 2.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by southy Quote
you can usually find a new 18-55mm kit lens on ebay for $50 new...
02-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
Got a link? I think that's too low for a new one. If you're right I'll buy one. Heck, I'll buy 2.

Regards,
Mike

That is at our local ritz store. They also have the K100 (not super) for 449 as a kit. The super is 349 and they have the lens on sale separately for 99.00. But I'd go for the super for the same price of course.

02-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
Ole
Administrator

That is at our local ritz store. They also have the K100 (not super) for 449 as a kit. The super is 349 and they have the lens on sale separately for 99.00. But I'd go for the super for the same price of course.
You want the Super because it supports the new Pentax SDM lenses which the K100 "no Super" doesn't. For that same reason you do not want the *istDL.
02-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #9

If you're patient, you should be able to get a 200D for well under $400 on eBay from Prodigital2000. The kit lens can be found in several places for $49 new.

The *istDL from Wolf would be an excellent place to start as the SDM functionality may not be an issue for you in the near future. There are many members that never seem to touch new lenses, and exclusively use the old manual glass.
02-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #10

Sorry about the misinformation about the kit lenses, it must have been on sale when I bought my 100d refurb off of sellout.woot.com, around christmas time they were on buydig and ebay for $50 buy it now. Prices seem to have gone back up. I see them regularly on the forums for $60-$70 though, which is still a savings over ritz. Put a wanted ad in the forums and see what pops up.

If you are on a fairly strict budget, I can say you will be happy with the kit for now. It is a worthwile investment if not for figuring out if you long for a greater reach, or want something faster or wider. I can't imagine you having a difficult time reselling when it is time to upgrade, and at that point you will have a better idea on what to spend the big bucks on.
02-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CalendarGuy Quote
If you're patient, you should be able to get a 200D for well under $400 on eBay from Prodigital2000. The kit lens can be found in several places for $49 new.

The *istDL from Wolf would be an excellent place to start as the SDM functionality may not be an issue for you in the near future. There are many members that never seem to touch new lenses, and exclusively use the old manual glass.
I'm not planning on buying many lenses except for maybe a fixed focal length to save some space. Although I'm planning on doing more photography in the future I'm thinking that the *ist might be enough to hold me for a good while and save some bucks. I could get a couple of eBay lenses for that 180 bucks. And since I'll be taking it on mountain bike trips etc I won't have to worry about breaking a 500.00 body.
02-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
You want the Super because it supports the new Pentax SDM lenses which the K100 "no Super" doesn't. For that same reason you do not want the *istDL.
you'll really appreciate shake reduction/image stabilization in K100D super, that's another reason you don't want *istDL.
02-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm not planning on buying many lenses except for maybe a fixed focal length to save some space. Although I'm planning on doing more photography in the future I'm thinking that the *ist might be enough to hold me for a good while and save some bucks.
Buying a Pentax without SR is like buying a Prius with the electric motor removed.
02-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Forum Member

for the price you have a great dlsr with the k100d super.
and the 18-55 kit lens is one of my favorite all around lens.
this lens in more than just good.
If memories serve me well I got my k100d (sot super) kit for 850$.
and I cant use ultra sonic motor lense but the super can.

marc.
02-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the useful information. I think I'm going to eliminate the *ist from my list. And thanks to your comments the K100D Super is in the list. It's hard not going for the latest and greatest from other manufacturers but the Pentax just felt better. I think it's down to the Pentax and the Canon for the final draw.