Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #1

Repair *istDs or Replace?

I have a *istDs for three years which I've been generally happy with. Over the last year or so the autoflash stopped working and then the last six months I've been getting fewer and fewer shots per battery charge to where I only get a few exposures before it won't power up. (After quite a bit of research, I'm convinced this is a problem with the camera and not the batteries).

I can send it out for repair but I'm guessing this will cost several hundred dollars. Does anyone have any idea what repairs cost?

The trade off is to apply this to a new or used model. I'm willing to move up to a more serious camera (even the k20d) if there is big leap in performance. This is analogous to putting money into the old car (or older technology) or buying a new one. Maybe I need help in rationalizing this .

02-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Forum Member

Personally I'd go for a new camera. The Ds is probably only worth about $200 or so in perfect working condition so you will probably pay as much for the repair as the camera is worth. The newer bodies also get you the shake reduction feature which to me is a much better trade off than having the old one repaired. You can probably find a used K100Ds for not much more than the repair cost, and new K2000s and K200Ds on ebay are pretty good in price right now. Again these will probably not be much more than the cost of the repair (esp the K2000). The down side to the K2000 to me is the loss of the top LCD.
02-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Read my post of today! I would send it to Pentax Service Department. They will call you with a quote. If you choose not to have it fixed, they will return the camera to you at no cost and they will pay the return shipping...

WeeWillie
02-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

At this point in the product life cycle of the DS, your best bet is certainly to upgrade, unless you get a miraculously low repair estimate from Pentax. Most likely shipping alone will be half what the camera is worth.

02-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i am having the same dilemma, except my DS is still under warranty. I was just thinking of just selling and getting a k10. Or sending in for repair of just some hot pixels...
02-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Inactive Account

If you want to stay with a DS. There is a good deal in the marketplace.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/51263-k10d-istd...00mm-more.html
02-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
WeeWillie, Thanks, I will investigate and send my ailing DS to Pentax for an estimate and hopefully warranty service. Did you need to provide proof when the camera was originally purchased?

I found a good price on a used K20D, which helps with rationalization and I agree with image stabilization and myriad of other features and improvements would be well worth the upgrade. If I'm able get the DS repaired economically I will either sell it, use as a backup, or give to one of my children (they'll have to come up with the lens ).

Thanks for all the good advice, I'm new to the forum and glad to find such an active and experienced community.