Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Found K10D for $400 should I get it or.....

I am new here and will be new to dslr. I use to be an amature photography many years ago and I have a old 35 ml Canon. I want to get back into it with a dslr. I was trying to decide between the K200 and K2000 and went to Ritz camera today to see if they had them in the store so I could check them out in person.

They didn't however they did have the K10D for $400 ($500 plus they were running a 20% off storewide sale).

So what should I do? Isn't that a really good deal?

Since this is new to me I want something easy to learn. I do have to say I like the idea of the regular batteries the K200 and K2000 have and some other features. But I also like the $150-200 I would save with going with the KD10 and I know it is a higher model than the others. The K20 is not an option as I am not ready to spend that much.

Thanks - Pam

02-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a great price for a new K10D with a USA warranty. If the regular batteries appeal to you, then perhaps they have K100D's available at an even better price if they're running a 20% off sale.
02-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You might want to let us know where you found it as well...
02-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am in Maryland they only had 2 and it was in store only thing. That is not to say other Ritz's in other areas don't have the same deal. I just looked at Ritz's online site and they don't even have the K10D listed. I am think this store just happens to have a couple left in stock. I looked online to get an idea and couldn't find for under $598. I think I might go back and get it tomorrow. The guy said he wasn't sure how much longer the 20% off would be good for and they only had 2.

02-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This forum is full of discussions about which of the camera bodies are better/best to use. The decision is yours as to what features you value most, and how much you're willing to spend on them.

By the looks of your message, I'd say money's tight, and this $400 deal on the K10D is excellent.

The K200D has a slightly better sensor according to some (I'd be pressed to see much difference), is a consumer dSLR with a modest (but all useful) number of features and performs well.

The K10D is an older generation enthusiast/'semi-pro' (whatever that means) model with more features and easy customisation of those features, particularly by virtue of the 2nd e-dial at the front, and extra buttons & dials on the camera body itself.

Best to have a look at the models themselves and test them out before you buy.
02-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Thumper473

Nadmom,
Welcome to the board. That is a great deal! I just recently purchased by K10D online for $399.95. To find it in a store for the price you have is a great deal. I cannot speak for the K200 but I love the K10D.

K10D with a Sigma 70-300mm DA Lens:

02-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This forum is full of discussions about which of the camera bodies are better/best to use. The decision is yours as to what features you value most, and how much you're willing to spend on them.

By the looks of your message, I'd say money's tight, and this $400 deal on the K10D is excellent.

The K200D has a slightly better sensor according to some (I'd be pressed to see much difference), is a consumer dSLR with a modest (but all useful) number of features and performs well.

The K10D is an older generation enthusiast/'semi-pro' (whatever that means) model with more features and easy customisation of those features, particularly by virtue of the 2nd e-dial at the front, and extra buttons & dials on the camera body itself.

Best to have a look at the models themselves and test them out before you buy.
A well approached suggestion.

While any number of members around the forum would jump at a $400 K10 and certainly encourage others to not miss the opportunity to own such a camera at that price, the original poster does have to live with his/her decision which camera to buy.
Nadmom, you should perhaps jump around the forum and read a few topics on the cameras that you are interesting in and by all means do your own research and then go to the camera store and get a feel for the cameras, ask more questions and then make a decision. I myself have very little knowledge and even less physical experience with the K200 or K2000 but we bought my K10 when they were twice what you might pay today and I do not regret for one moment owning on. I love it nearly as much as my first K1000 and that says a lot.