Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone wanna play dropkick with my K100DS...

Sorry i just need to vent this and also know if there is any fix for this (ie Firmware[i doubt] before i send it off again tomorrow

My beef is with CR K NOT Pentax...

Yaay got my camera back for the folk at CR Kenedy after nearly a month...hey it turns on...yaaay it works....(after a few photo,chimps to the LCD)Oh Hot pixels.......I HATE YOU...

So now i have more hot pixels than a Hasselblad at an Nude shoot

So what if i got my camera back...i knew somthing like this was going to happen. Whenever you get something repaired. it's never the same again...So tomorrow i have to get my butt over to CR K and throw my camera to them, along with a diragram on HOW TO FIX A CAMERA...

Adding salt to my alreaddy gushing wound CR K in Melb ( where apparently Repairs take place) told me that it's a simple smudge on the CCD from cleaning (at there end) and i can avoid it by taking overexposed photos...WHY THE CRAZY WOULD I WANT TO DO THAT. it's not an heat related CCD issue. It just appeared when i left CR K office in Sydney

So once again i'm out of a cammera. (drinks in a dark corner)

Here's a photo of the 'Smudge'.....

I remember an old add campaign of pentax "make no mistake" HAHAHA god one CR K

Anyone wanna play dropkick with my camera....

Last edited by Ben Hunt; 02-17-2009 at 12:11 AM.
02-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Hunt Quote
Sorry i just need to vent this and also know if there is any fix for this (ie Firmware[i doubt] before i send it off again tomorrow

Here's a photo of the 'Smudge'.....

I remember an old add campaign of pentax "make no mistake" HAHAHA

Anyone wanna play dropkick with my camera....
Not withstanding your unnecessary language but I understand you must be frustrated. I am NOT the moderator but I would suggest you calm the language b/c I am not sure that is tolerated here. I suggest you edit what you wrote before others [with authority] read your message.

Your problem is neither a smudge nor is it hot pixels. This is an electronics error... very likely in the sensor connection or a fault in the sensor itself.

The recommendation you were given is absolute nonsense. The problem cannot be fixed by over exposing and even if it were true, it's still nonsense.

Question: Did you 'play' with the sensor? Is this what the sales people are claiming? 'Playing' with the sensor... such as touching it, etc.. is usually bad news and untrained individual can easily damage the sensor.

Good luck.
02-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry yea i am a bit irate and have fixed what you have requested... I Never have touched the Sensor with my finger if that is what you are asking...I only touch the sensor when it's my last resort when cleaning, use normaly a blower to dislodge specs but something more stubborn then i would touch it, I do know how to clean it, and this only happened as soon as i first reveiwed the photos i took today. the last batch of photos i took just prior to sending my camera off to repair were fine and i was shooting in 400+ ISO and did not notice any issues.

I knew it was something with the sensor, far to uniform to be anything else. Just got off the phone again with CR K and they still tell me (after looking a photos i sent via e-mail about this issue) that it could be a smudge...right... As far as the overexposed issue, his reason of thinking is, it will be washed out by highlights, therfore you wont see these lines...and to think i gave them my camera.. (sobs in the corner like a little baby)

I sorry about all this, i really shouldn't of said anything but i thought someone out there may have a solution.

Have a good one!
02-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Not withstanding your unnecessary language but I understand you must be frustrated. I am NOT the moderator but I would suggest you calm the language b/c I am not sure that is tolerated here. I suggest you edit what you wrote before others [with authority] read your message.

Your problem is neither a smudge nor is it hot pixels. This is an electronics error... very likely in the sensor connection or a fault in the sensor itself.

The recommendation you were given is absolute nonsense. The problem cannot be fixed by over exposing and even if it were true, it's still nonsense.

Question: Did you 'play' with the sensor? Is this what the sales people are claiming? 'Playing' with the sensor... such as touching it, etc.. is usually bad news and untrained individual can easily damage the sensor.

Good luck.
i forgot to mention in the reply aswell, i just found out that they replaced the main board of the camera, the one with the Engine on it. would of that caused the issue?

have a good one!

02-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

i forgot to mention in the reply aswell, i just found out that they replaced the main board of the camera, the one with the Engine on it. would of that caused the issue?

have a good one!
Absolutely!

Wait a sec... are you claiming that the camera was fine until you sent it to the shop? And when you received it back, your photos now have these lines?

Why was it sent into the shop?

Anyhow, if I understand the series of events correctly... they must have messed it up when replacing the imaging circuit.
02-17-2009, 12:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
Absolutely!

Wait a sec... are you claiming that the camera was fine until you sent it to the shop? And when you received it back, your photos now have these lines?

Anyhow, if I understand the series of events correctly... they must have messed it up when replacing the imaging circuit.
The USB Port dislodged from the board which it's livable with but that seemed to have caused to camera aswell to not turn on, all that would happen would be the Start up Sensor shake then would turn off ( wasn't a battery or power issue)
02-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Absolutely!

it would of been a 4 min Job to solder on the USB, easier and cheaper too than replacing the guts of the thing, in heinsight i should of bought a fine soldering tip and done it myslef...but i'm not sure that would of fixed the shutdown issue

Have a good one!

02-17-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
Forum Member

sorry to see your cam in such situation, my suggestion (for their indifferent staff ) is (in case your cam is still under warraty) if you can make it completly dead, you will get a new one
02-17-2009, 01:12 AM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's something more serious than a 'smudge' that's wrong with this cam.
CRK need a change if Pentax is to get a better reputation in Australia.
I think your cam should be replaced IMHO...
02-17-2009, 05:31 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There's something more serious than a 'smudge' that's wrong with this cam.
CRK need a change if Pentax is to get a better reputation in Australia.
I think your cam should be replaced IMHO...
You know i though about that but knowing CR K and there work with previous producs, not going even bother plus i love my K100dS and i want to keep it for a verry long time plus one day i want to get a 20d to go with my 100ds

CR K customer care..aint non.

2 hours, 32 screws and 5 removed panes later, my baby's good as new... opened her up and fix it up, all good now, looks like they cant plug things in properly, found out SR was unplugged too,

have a good one!
02-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done - you're more game than I would be taking the cam apart.
Enjoy it!
02-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know i though about that but knowing CR K and there work with previous producs, not going even bother plus i love my K100dS and i want to keep it for a verry long time plus one day i want to get a 20d to go with my 100ds

2 hours, 32 screws and 5 removed panes later, my baby's good as new... opened her up and fix it up, all good now, looks like they cant plug things in properly, found out SR was unplugged too,
Glad you resolved the problem!

BTW, could you give a slightly more detailed precis of what you did - eg which components weren't plugged in, which cables etc? Perhaps referring to the *istD or K20d might be of help as there are no K100DS etc parts diagrams out there.

I found this image of a K100D partly disassembled, an *istD (modded for IR) and another IR mod which might be of help......

Cheers
02-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
Glad you resolved the problem!
might be of help as there are no K100DS etc parts diagrams out there.
That is, until someone steals a service manual, scans it, and shares with the rest of us.

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
www7.xitek.com/forum/200711/4489/448922/448922_1194580122.jpg
That site doesn't support direct linking so I modified your link. Copy and paste it to see this photo.

I would LOVE to remove the IR filter from my K20D to take IR photos! Almost any photo is art in the IR spectrum. I did a lot of 35mm film work in IR and it was so very expensive!

I got a chuckle from one of your links where the author said, "be aware of high voltage areas inside the camera. it can kill you and maybe your camera, too. "

Yes, you might kill the camera but you're not going to kill yourself. Obviously he is referring to the camera's flash capacitor (not flux capacitor ). It's a nasty little jolt of about 20000 volts but the emphasis should be on little.
02-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

have a good one!
Ben,

I think you need to take picture and show us how you fix it.

My old K100D gave exactly the same problem like yours.
I sent it back and forth to Pentax USA for 3 times and still they can't fix it.
They replaced the sensor too (at least that's what is written on repair form) on 2nd visit.
Finally at the last repair (3rd), they gave up and send me a Brand New one.

But, I still curious on how you fixed it.
I've seen some other complaints like this with their K100D / Super.

Great job! I think you can start your own Pentax Service Center