Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #1

Double/Multiple Exposures

Anyone know how i can get a double exposure of me sitting in two different chairs, ie as if i had a twin sitting next to me. I tried this once and found that both versions of me were see through. How can i get a full imprint of myself in double exposure mode?

I'm using a K20D.

02-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyDop Quote
Anyone know how i can get a double exposure of me sitting in two different chairs, ie as if i had a twin sitting next to me. I tried this once and found that both versions of me were see through. How can i get a full imprint of myself in double exposure mode?

I'm using a K20D.
Two ways with the K20D.

1. Use photoshop (or any other graphic editor) :-)

2. Use the multiple exposure feature on the K20D.

I am lazy so I will copy a page from the manual.

Keep in mind, the multiple exposure method will give you a ghosting effect (objects behind you will appear through you). If you really want a clean image, it is best to take two photos and Photoshop the rest.
Attached Images

02-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
I did that, with myself sitting in two different chairs. The problem is that I am see-through. How can i make myself 100% solid?
02-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyDop Quote
I did that, with myself sitting in two different chairs. The problem is that I am see-through. How can i make myself 100% solid?
That is what I already told you.

The only way around that is to go with my first recommendation.

02-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A multiple exposure will always leave you looking see through.

I have done this with a film camera by locking the shutter open on bulb with a black card covering the lens. This is done on a tripod.

Have a friend hold the card, and you sit in chair one. Your friend moves the card aside exposing 1/2 the lens, and 1/2 of the sensor. Then youe assistant covers the lens.

You move to the other chair. Repeat the 1/2 exposure of the lens, and recover. release bulb setting.

Try this until you like the exposure you are getting. Something like a 2 sec exposure (per side)should do it.
02-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

I have done this with a film camera by locking the shutter open on bulb with a black card covering the lens. This is done on a tripod.

Have a friend hold the card, and you sit in chair one. Your friend moves the card aside exposing 1/2 the lens, and 1/2 of the sensor. Then youe assistant covers the lens.

You move to the other chair. Repeat the 1/2 exposure of the lens, and recover. release bulb setting.

Try this until you like the exposure you are getting. Something like a 2 sec exposure (per side)should do it.
Great idea!

I had forgotten about this trick, which was ideal back in the days before Photoshop.
02-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

Cokin has a practical mask that covers half the lens which can then be moved to the other half with enough precision not to cause a black line or double exposed (too bright) line in the middle of the picture. This used to be the old way of doing this before ps. If the camera have double exposure possibilities you don't need to use b setting, just expose as normal, but twice, covering half the picture each time.