Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 07:16 AM   #1

K20D live view limited

I just upgraded to the K20D, I played around the live view feature, and it's very limited in feature and performance. Focus time in live view is very slow. It doesn't display any info when using live view. When zoom-in in live view, I can't really know the picture is properly focus or not because the picture become very grainy. It's live view is worst than my old P&S camera. Looks like the Live View feature in K20D need alot of improvement compare to other brand. Even i don't use it much, but i still wise it's better. Is there any trick or tips to use live view in K20D?

02-17-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
I just upgraded to the K20D, I played around the live view feature, and it's very limited in feature and performance. Focus time in live view is very slow. It doesn't display any info when using live view. When zoom-in in live view, I can't really know the picture is properly focus or not because the picture become very grainy. It's live view is worst than my old P&S camera. Looks like the Live View feature in K20D need alot of improvement compare to other brand. Even i don't use it much, but i still wise it's better. Is there any trick or tips to use live view in K20D?
Hello. Congrats for the upgrade.

I have change the live-view button to a deaph of field button, so I don't use live view.
There is a good reson why pentax k20d have a big bright viewfinder. To use it

I though just like you at first, but I have start to understand that live view is not so important.

It's no real trick to make it better....

in what situacion do you need the live view?
02-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by winglik Quote
Have you compared the live view to the other brands? I'm not sure there's much difference in SLR live view. I believe Olympus probably has the best live view implementation, and it's been that way for a few years now.

To be honest, the live view is like cup holders in the back seat of my car....nice, I guess, but I wouldn't base my decision (either way) on them.

Once you figure out the live view, it does have a few uses, but I can count the times I've used it on both hands, and I've owned the K20D for a year.
02-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Autofocus in LiveView on the Xsi is S-L-O-W....I figure it takes about five seconds to lock with my Sigma 30mm f/1.4, whereas the normal AF is instantaneous. LiveView on DLSRs can NOT be compared to a P&S (except perhaps Olympus)

02-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
in what situacion do you need the live view?
If not for Live View I would most certainly NOT have been able to take this macro shot. The tiny frog was in a pond and if I had to use the viewfinder I'd be wet and dirty and the frog would have been startled and moved away.

Live View is a useful feature and its use is limited only by one's imagination or by one's pre-conceived ideas.
In this case it helped me get the shot...

K20D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro
02-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

To the op, make no mistake, the Pentax K20D live view is a joke! However, I am sure this is simply something they can fix in a firmware upgrade. Will they?

With all due respect, to the other contributors, of this thread. Some of you seem to miss the point of this feature, and how far live view has advanced on other DSLRs. Live view is useful in still life work, astrophotography, or any other area where there is an importance for a live histogram, zooming for precision focusing, etc... You can't do any of this with the K20D! Please don't argue that you can zoom the view on the K20D... uh... not really... pixilated zoom doesn't count.

I dare not mention which cameras have superior live view but let's just say that for some (especially pros), live view is an important new technology.

Finally, and to be fair, you must consider that live view requires the mirror to be locked in the up position. I pretty certain that normal focusing can no longer take place. Some others are using smarter algorithms to improve focusing in live view, but it's not something I would complain about on the K20D. Besides, live view is better suited to manual focusing.

If you have a complaint, let Pentax know about it. This is the only way I know how to send in a complaint:
http://pentax.quicksupportlink.com/callform/pages/callform.asp?origin_us=true
02-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
If not for Live View I would most certainly NOT have been able to take this macro shot. The tiny frog was in a pond and if I had to use the viewfinder I'd be wet and dirty and the frog would have been startled and moved away.

Live View is a useful feature and its use is limited only by one's imagination or by one's pre-conceived ideas.
And... oh yes, Macrophotography... when you can't look into your view finder to capture the photo you want.

Beautiful photo BTW!

02-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I actually do find it useful--but mostly for macro / close-up work, and always using manual focus (I didn't think AF worked at all in live-view!)

When zooming in with live view (using the rear dial) you can definitely see when something goes in an out of focus. It's pixellated yes, but a certain sharp pattern emerges when you've hit focus, like the old micro-prisms on split image focusing screens. Also good in situations where there's low light.

To tell you the truth I'd heard it wasn't the greatest and didn't use it for a month after I got the K20. After using it though, I really like it. I know it could be better, but it's better than nothing, for me anyway.

Obviously not for everybody though!
02-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
To the op, make no mistake, the Pentax K20D live view is a joke! However, I am sure this is simply something they can fix in a firmware upgrade. Will they?

With all due respect, to the other contributors, of this thread. Some of you seem to miss the point of this feature, and how far live view has advanced on other DSLRs. Live view is useful in still life work, astrophotography, or any other area where there is an importance for a live histogram, zooming for precision focusing, etc... You can't do any of this with the K20D! Please don't argue that you can zoom the view on the K20D... uh... not really... pixilated zoom doesn't count.

I dare not mention which cameras have superior live view but let's just say that for some (especially pros), live view is an important new technology.

Finally, and to be fair, you must consider that live view requires the mirror to be locked in the up position. I pretty certain that normal focusing can no longer take place. Some others are using smarter algorithms to improve focusing in live view, but it's not something I would complain about on the K20D. Besides, live view is better suited to manual focusing.

If you have a complaint, let Pentax know about it. This is the only way I know how to send in a complaint:
Now you're just getting tiresome...
02-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #10

Original Poster
I tried the Canon EOS Rebel XS Live view in B&H, compare to Pentax, it was much better. It has continuous(live) focus in live view, no need to wait. Canon has the option to show shooting info and histogram. Also when using the magnification zoom in, the picture remain clear, gives better focus on macro. I hope the firmware update will improve the Live view feature because it do come handy when shooting Macro and astro photography.

Last edited by winglik; 02-17-2009 at 11:08 AM.
02-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote

What you have written here is completely unwarranted and condescending to say the least.
This is the first time Pentax has incorporated this feature in any of it's DSLRs whereas Olympus, the brand that you dare not mention, pioneered LV and have had the benefit of building and fine tuning this feature in a few models already. It's Pentax's first effort, it's not perfect but it works well enough, so I'd cut them some slack.

LV implementation in DSLRs, even for Olympus is not always picture perfect. Issues of sensor heat buildup, noise and power consumption do crop up. People I know who have the Oly E-3, Canon 40D/50D have encountered camera shut down due to the sensor overheating, so no camera brand is as good as what their marketing literature portray.

Having said that, to me, LV offers a useful compositional function, to be able to frame shots without the need to look through the viewfinder, no more, no less. How you run with it is entirely up to the individual, so to say it is a joke is really uncalled for.

If you want live histogram and other corollary features that is available in other brands, then perhaps the Pentax K20D is not for you, given your grave disappointment and persistent complaints about it. If you can't get over all the supposed flaws of the K20D, then spare yourself all that angst and switch to another different brand that can offer a better feature set or have a ready made solution to your kind of photography.

Last edited by creampuff; 02-17-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: grammar
02-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

with my P&S I love taking a wide shot from the ground using the live view. (like this sample)
with my K20d its harder I have to lie down on the ground. but to me it was live view Vs big view finder and I would go with big view finder any day.

when I will get a wide lens I will be prepared to go down on my knees
Attached Images

02-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #13
Inactive Account

indeed very nice shot. and i could not agree more - live view is quite a practical feature. the other question is its implementation on different cameras. for example oly e410 has a very nicely working live view - fast, precise.
What i really would like is more manufacturers (well actually only Pentax) to go for a swivel display (similar to sony A300). damn i remember what nice angles i was able to do with my old canon s1 without getting my lazy ass on the ground
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

What you have written here is completely unwarranted and condescending to say the least.
This is the first time Pentax has incorporated this feature in any of it's DSLRs whereas Olympus, the brand that you dare not mention, pioneered LV and have had the benefit of building and fine tuning this feature in a few models already. It's Pentax's first effort, it's not perfect but it works well enough, so I'd cut them some slack.

LV implementation in DSLRs, even for Olympus is not always picture perfect. Issues of sensor heat buildup, noise and power consumption do crop up. People I know who have the Oly E-3, Canon 40D/50D have encountered camera shut down due to the sensor overheating, so no camera brand is as good as what their marketing literature portray.

Having said that, to me, LV offers a useful compositional function, to be able to frame shots without the need to look through the viewfinder, no more, no less. How you run with it is entirely up to the individual, so to say it is a joke is really uncalled for.

If you want live histogram and other corollary features that is available in other brands, then perhaps the Pentax K20D is not for you, given your grave disappointment and persistent complaints about it. If you can't get over all the supposed flaws of the K20D, then spare yourself all that angst and switch to another different brand that can offer a better feature set or have a ready made solution to your kind of photography.
very true....

just cause other companies have better live view implementations, it does not mean pentax will have one that is just as good on their first go...

some other people here might be thinking "but why doesnt pentax do it the same way?" - well.. they cant, it'd be called patent infringment (most, if not all, companies patent their live view implementations), unless of course they want to pay royalties, which would mean the customer also has to pay for it

canon seems to have thought up of something interesting - a semi transparent mirror which means light goes through to the viewfinder and live-view sensor at the same time... should be interesting to see if they put the implementation into cameras any time soon and if it works out well
02-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Really? I did say 'with all due respect'

This is ridiculous, I am just correcting some gross misconceptions. Whether or not I like my K20D is irrelevant to the point of this thread. It seems that some people won't be happy unless I only praise its virtues. It does have some.... I did buy this camera too!

This is the first time Pentax has incorporated this feature in any of it's DSLRs whereas Olympus, the brand that you dare not mention,
Nope! I have never worked with Olympus equipment. I would only refer to what I know first hand.

It's Pentax's first effort, it's not perfect but it works well enough, so I'd cut them some slack.
Are you serious? Personally, I would think it is wise to look at your competition, that is, if its important to complete with them. The LV was simply an after-thought that I wish they would have addressed in the 1.01 firmware update. I know that many K20D owners have complained about this.

Canon 40D/50D have encountered camera shut down due to the sensor overheating, so no camera brand is as good as what their marketing literature portray.
Come-on, really? Who? I know more than 20 people with the 40D's or better, and *none* have experienced what you describe. The 40D had some heating issues, but I believe most of that was due to hacking the camera to capture video.

If any camera is bound to over heat, I would think it would be more likely on the K20D in live view because the Samsung sensor does run hot. This is not speculation, but rather a direct quote from a Pentax representative.

How you run with it is entirely up to the individual, so to say it is a joke is really uncalled for.
Am I not entitled to my opinion? Is it not in the best interest to all K20D owners that some of us care enough to ask Pentax to improve the firmware?