Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #1

I need some information about Pentax K100D, view finder and LCD.

Hi
Thank you for reading my post.
Can you please answer my questions regarding K100D?

-Does it view finder provide a histogram when we are taking pictures?

-Does LCD shows what we are going to shoot?

PS, I do not have a Pentax K100D and i am still researching. I have a benq E-600 for now.

Thanks

03-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Once a photo is taken, it can show a histogram on the LCD.

The LCD can show the image after it is taken.
03-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #3
Forum Member

The K100D is a dSLR - important part is the "R" = Reflex. That means an optical viewfinder.

To get a preshot histogram or live view on the LCD one needs to get the mirror out of the way. So far a couple of manufacturers are offering this option (Olympus and Panasonic) but not Pentax.

To get a preshot histogram in the viewfinder one not only has to get the mirror out of the way but also replace the optical viewfinder with an electronic viewfinder (EVF).

I'm hoping that we see an exchangeable lens, APS sensor camera with a high resolution EVF before too long. Live histograms are a great thing to have.

(In addition to the other EVF advantages.)
03-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The exposure meter will tell you, through the viewfinder while you are composing your shot, if it thinks your exposure is "correct."

And if that's not good enough for you, it's quite easy to take a test shot, look at the histogram on the LCD, and adjust exposure if necessary.

Will

03-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by legolas Quote
Hi
Thank you for reading my post.
Can you please answer my questions regarding K100D?

-Does it view finder provide a histogram when we are taking pictures?

-Does LCD shows what we are going to shoot?

PS, I do not have a Pentax K100D and i am still researching. I have a benq E-600 for now.

Thanks
I am sure that once you start taking shots looking through the view finder, especially a nice bright one like the pentax camera's do, that you will wonder why you ever needed the digital sceen for that purpose in the past.
my local photography store that I deal with (the sales person) told me he might invest in a new olympus DSLR for its "live" LCD screen. I told him that I wouldn't even consider it as an option that would have any value to me.

My wife has/had a point and shoot and she never ever misses the live view LCD option.

cheers

randy
03-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I often use the digital DOF preview feature on the on/off switch, which you can set up to display a histogram (as well as a test image) on the LCD. It doesn't save to the memory card, so there's no waiting while the file is busy writing. If the light is really bright and/or variable I like to look at the histogram to make sure the highlights aren't blown, and that the dynamic range makes the image at least salvageable in PP.
03-30-2007, 10:45 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I often use the digital DOF preview feature on the on/off switch, which you can set up to display a histogram (as well as a test image) on the LCD. It doesn't save to the memory card, so there's no waiting while the file is busy writing. If the light is really bright and/or variable I like to look at the histogram to make sure the highlights aren't blown, and that the dynamic range makes the image at least salvageable in PP.
I totally agree. as long as you have a second to fiddle with the exposure, flipping the preview lever and checking the histogram, then adjusting the exposure is easy.

I have had a harder time trying to trick my point n shoot into doing what I want. If the camera doesnt have manual exposure control, or the operater doesnt have time to adjust exposure, who cares if the lcd is live or not?

either you have time to fix exposure or you have to live with what you get. I would never give up the optical viewfinder. in fact I want bigger, 100% coverage, greater magnification and a split prism screen for manual focus.
03-31-2007, 01:57 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Wallace Quote

(In addition to the other EVF advantages.)
And what might they be, Lag, low resolution, blinding back light, power consumption, in ability to manual focus, CCD heat generation etc. Doesn't seem like the advantages in anyway make up for the massive disadvantages.

03-31-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cideway Quote
And what might they be, Lag, low resolution, blinding back light, power consumption, in ability to manual focus, CCD heat generation etc. Doesn't seem like the advantages in anyway make up for the massive disadvantages.
Advantages:

100% frame display, accurate DOF display, ability to magnify a portion of the frame for accurate focus, ability to use the camera without having it pressed to ones face, and probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

Live histogram has already been mentioned. Haven't had a camera that provides it? Then you don't know what you're dismissing.

Not included:

Low resolution (I specified a high resolution EVF), blinding back light (I assume you're talking about shooting from the LCD and don't know what an EVF is), "in ability" to manual focus (remember "high resolution EVF"), CCD heat generation (minuscule - there is very, very little heat generated by the CCD), and lag (that's just a matter of increasing processing speed).

Power consumption is increased a bit with EVF/LCD/liveview. It might mean recharging ones camera every four days rather than every six.
03-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
Forum Member

My word... Does the K10 really need recharging every few days? I can get 1500 shots out of a set of CRV-3. I wish Pentax hadn't switched to a proprietary battery personally. It's the one thing I'm not looking forward to when I upgrade.
03-31-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
OK, now let's imagine a camera with a "smarter" shutter button and a live histogram. (If you have trouble imaging a high resolution EVF then try imaging a "heads up" display superimposed on the OVF view.)

Half press the shutter button and up pops the histogram. Distribution too far right/left? Just apply a bit of left/right pressure to the shutter button.

If you're in Aperture mode the aperture will close/open. If you're in Shutter mode the shutter speed will decrease/increase.

Taking a test shot, saved or not, just doesn't work in lots of situations. Time is of the essence....
03-31-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

if the camera makers want people who have gotten used to the nice swiveling lcd screen on the current breed of high end compacts to be happy they are going to have to give the matter of being able to frame and compose the shot in the rear lcd screen some serious thought..

shake reduction and the ability to compose an image on the rear lcd even on a dslr will be needed soon.. "dslr cameras dont do that" wont work for much longer.. they will have to if they want to survive as a tool for the masses..

trog
04-04-2007, 07:17 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Advantages:

"100% frame display, accurate DOF display, ability to magnify a portion of the frame for accurate focus, ability to use the camera without having it pressed to ones face, and probably some other stuff I've forgotten."

Okay, having used a camera with 100% coverage VF, the difference between 95% and 100% is negligible. Having used EVF on the Canon XL-1 video camera the ability to judge if an image is in focus is nearly impossible let alone judging your depth of field. and having the camera pressed to your face is the most stable position to have it, unless you have a waist level finder, and having used them i still prefer the squashed face method.

"Live histogram has already been mentioned. Haven't had a camera that provides it? Then you don't know what you're dismissing."

Actually i have used a camera with live histogram, found it got in the way, so turned it off.

Not included:

Low resolution (I specified a high resolution EVF), blinding back light (I assume you're talking about shooting from the LCD and don't know what an EVF is), "in ability" to manual focus (remember "high resolution EVF"), CCD heat generation (minuscule - there is very, very little heat generated by the CCD), and lag (that's just a matter of increasing processing speed).

Measure the resolution of an optical VF, and then find a EVF that can match it.

Yes i have used an EVF, they emit light, you look in one at night and then look else where and you are blinded. See previous comments about Optical VF resolution. While the CCD is on, it generates heat, heat causes noise, noise creates blotchy images, CCDs are an electronic device, while they are on they generate heat, and the fact that there is no cooling inside cameras, there is no where for the heat to go. Lag, there is no lag with a OFV, there will always be lag with an EVF, it may reach a point where it is imperceptible but it is still there.

"Power consumption is increased a bit with EVF/LCD/liveview. It might mean recharging ones camera every four days rather than every six."

The funny thing is, my OVF uses no power, i can leave it on all day and all night and it will never deplete that battery, how long would you be able to leave the LCD on the K10D for.