Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Thoughts: SR + Video?

So we've seen video in the D90 and the 5D...but how would it work with SR?

Would there be any noticeable benefit? Could Pentax offer the worlds first HD-video recording SLR with SR/IS?

02-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Do you need to de-activate the VR/IS on Nikon and Canon lenses to use the video-recording mode?
02-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, I don't think you do - but I'm curious if IS/SR helps video recording at all.
02-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Forum Member

I don't know about the SLR part, but Panasonic's new TZ-5 ($260 street) compact digital does claim to offer optical shake reduction even while you're capturing HD video at 30fps. I haven't tried it, though.

02-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
K20d liveview simulates it...

If the K20d liveview is any indication, the SR of the K20d would be wonderful for stabilization of video. The only downside is it makes a little bit of noise which might get picked up by the audio.

Bart
02-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Is the general question "would shake reduction work for video"? If so, then here's a "hell yes" most definitely. My little Panasonic GS320 has optical image stabilization built-in and it make a world of difference.
02-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Belongs in this section of the forum more so than the news and rumors Hopefully you'll get more input here.

02-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thing is, though, I think Panasonic has long advocated and used in-lens stabilization in their offerings. I'm still waiting to see if a manufacturer using in-body stabilization can implement it. On a semi-related note, I believe the E-520 has a function to simulate IS when shooting via live view, but that may be more software-driven than the actual SSWF engine doing the trick.
02-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote

Would there be any noticeable benefit? Could Pentax offer the worlds first HD-video recording SLR with SR/IS?
Sony virtually pioneered video shake reduction in video cameras; as far as I can tell, image stabilization is/was a feature on every Sony video camera I have owned since 1995. My 1999 TRV-70 definitely has it. Depending on the subject, SR might be of some benefit. But post processing image stabilization is always going to be more effective.

It would make sense that SR would work on any DSLR with video capabilities but I don't have a Nikon to test.

Last edited by pentaxmz; 02-17-2009 at 06:36 PM.
02-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Thing is, though, I think Panasonic has long advocated and used in-lens stabilization in their offerings. I'm still waiting to see if a manufacturer using in-body stabilization can implement it. On a semi-related note, I believe the E-520 has a function to simulate IS when shooting via live view, but that may be more software-driven than the actual SSWF engine doing the trick.
Oh.. surprise, surprise... listen up folks, I am about to say something nice about Pentax. (too much?)

The more I learn about the differences between in-camera and in-lens stabilization, the more I am convinced that Pentax got this one right-on!

Like everyone is always saying, every lens will work! That is certainly one advantage.

In-lens stabilization means a heavier, more expensive lens. It means fewer lenses are going to be available. It means the lens is more prone to failure (debatable perhaps). It also means in-lens can produce image quality problems when the lens is steady on a tripod (some Canon lenses automatically shut off SR when they are mounted).

With the Pentax technology, SR will improve and all your lenses are invited for the ride. Canon, on the other hand, when the SR technology improves, you're still stuck with the old technology until you upgrade each lens.

I could go on... but Kudos to Pentax!

But SR isn't that important to me. I certainly didn't have it 10 years ago.

Keep in mind, like anti-lock brakes, SR may give you a false sense of security. SR can't fix everything and that shot you think is perfect because you had SR on, might disappoint. Better to take many shots, and hold the camera as steady as possible every time.

Last edited by pentaxmz; 02-17-2009 at 06:34 PM.
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote

It works fine. My 7 year old Sanyo miniDV camcorder has stabilization built into the body. It's been done.
02-18-2009, 06:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bart_hickman Quote
If the K20d liveview is any indication, the SR of the K20d would be wonderful for stabilization of video. The only downside is it makes a little bit of noise which might get picked up by the audio.

Bart
I didn't know the K20D had a microphone built in.... I guess I have to go back to the instruction manual.....
02-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Canon digital camcorder. SR (they call it image stabilization) is one of the advertised features. Not being an engineer, I don't know if the current SR would work if a future Pentax adds video but yes, SR is just as usefull in video as in still photography.