02-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20d Live View AF?

Quick question about K20D Live View,

while I can display the focus point and select it during LV mode,
can I use Auto Focus?
If yes, how do I do that?

So far I can only manually focus and zoom to confirm.

Thanks for the help,

02-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Quick question about K20D Live View,

while I can display the focus point and select it during LV mode,
can I use Auto Focus?
If yes, how do I do that?

So far I can only manually focus and zoom to confirm.

Thanks for the help,
In this current model of K20D, you must use manual focusing when in live view. The K20D needs to evaluate the scene through the pentaprism. Since the mirror must go up (and block the prism), focusing is not possible.

See here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/51371-k20d-live-view-limited.html for another discussion about this feature.
02-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't you press the AF button on the back???
02-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
You're right.
I tried to push the AF button on LV mode and it focused.

Thanks,

02-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
You're right.
I tried to push the AF button on LV mode and it focused.

Thanks,
But that flips the mirror back down.

It's not really useful unless you are shooting a steady scene.

But, sorry if I didn't mention this. I guess I erroneously assumed you had done that.
02-17-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's what I've done.
02-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
In this current model of K20D, you must use manual focusing when in live view. The K20D needs to evaluate the scene through the pentaprism. Since the mirror must go up (and block the prism), focusing is not possible.

See here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/51371-k20d-live-view-limited.html for another discussion about this feature.
No you don't. You press the AF button on the back of the camera and the camera will (eventually) autofocus.

02-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
No you don't. You press the AF button on the back of the camera and the camera will (eventually) autofocus.
But when you press the AF button, live view is temporarily turned off, the mirror goes down, it focuses, the mirror goes up, and live view is re-engaged.

That is hardly real-time focusing in live view and that is why I said, use manual focus because it's more practical if you are constantly shifting focus. One shot AF is otherwise not a big deal.
02-18-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well that's what most people tend to use LV for. Especially when they're trying to get a single shot of a scene that they can't get to through the viewfinder.
02-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote

Well, here's what you said in black and white, which is wrong as many pointed out. (emphasis added)

You can autofocus in live view, which was the OP's question. There was no qualitative discussion requested, though clarification on exactly how it works is useful. You're certainly not going to be using it for action shots, as just about every review posted points out. However, for odd angles, or tripod shots, it can be useful. Those are the few times I've used it.
02-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It's easy to get mixed up over one of most useless features on the K20D. To be honest, I've found using Live View to focus manually is more useful than using it w/ AF. But that's not saying much. Maybe it's great shooting macro???
02-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Hi HermanLee

Interestingly it was the particularly ham-fisted implementation of the live-view "feature" combined with the stupid dark frame subtraction issue that eventually put me off upgrading from the K10D to the K20D in the first place ! I take quite a lot of night city shots on my travels and regrettably the dark frame process on the K20D cannot be turned off, which was sadly the final deal-breaker for me. Let's hope that these irritating foibles are successfully addressed in the forthcoming model ?

Best regards,
Richard
02-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've found using Live View to focus manually is more useful than using it w/ AF.
As this is all about LiveView and focussing...
Many use the LiveView to achieve precise focus when focussing manually. It is therefore interesting to note that LiveView uses the working aperture, i.e., not fully open. Sometimes, it is worth to focus manually with zoomed LiveView, fully open, and then stop down to shoot w/o LV. Which unfortunately, makes the feature even more cumbersome to use. But hey, it is there at least
02-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi guys,

I've been playing around with LV mode these days and my conclusion so far is:
LV in DSLR is Great no matter how less sophisticated it is in K20D but I love it.

I compared this with my previous K100D where there is no LV at all.
It was so frustrating especially that the viewfinder on K100D is not as bright as K20D.

So now, if I want to take a snapshot with my K20D, I can use just one hand.
Yes, correct. One hand only, considering I'm using my prime lenses. I don't think I can hold one hand with FA* 80-200/2.8 attached yet

For manual focusing, here is how I see it.
With K100D, when I want to use MF, I can only rely on viewfinder which is not so bright either and in a dim lit room, it will be very challenging.
Now, with K20D, when I want to use MF and can't see clearly, I'll just turn the LV on and foila..there goes 2.7" Viewfinder.

Yes, the LV function is not as great as my Fuji F100fd that can detect 10 faces at once. But it's a great help for me who just upgraded from a camera with no LV at all.

So the conclusion is, it works both way with either focusing methods: Manual or Auto.
02-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
As this is all about LiveView and focussing...
Many use the LiveView to achieve precise focus when focussing manually. It is therefore interesting to note that LiveView uses the working aperture, i.e., not fully open. Sometimes, it is worth to focus manually with zoomed LiveView, fully open, and then stop down to shoot w/o LV. Which unfortunately, makes the feature even more cumbersome to use. But hey, it is there at least

Good point. I never thought about that.