Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes the AVs and the TAVs have it so far.
I have used the User mode a few times when I want to go quickly to some preset contrast and saturation shots.
But, yeah... what I said a minute ago.

02-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't really spent my quality time with all the possibilities, but I'm finding I'm often leaving it in P and USER mode (both making heavy use of the hyperprogrammeyness, mostly just to get different ISOs

Next, a lot of Av and M.
02-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use Av in Hyper-Program the most. I guess I could turn the mode dial to Av only, but then I feel comfort in knowing that I can flick straight to Sv right there and then.

Although lately, I've been shooting a lot more in M.
02-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #49
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
For those of you that will use TAv to keep the shutter from bottoming out - I use Av with the front dial set to +/- instead of ISO and have the camera ISO set to a custom auto. The camera will not let the shutter bottom out below what it considers too much for the SR to compensate. Once the shutter speed reaches what the camera considers the limit, it will vary the ISO. A FA 50 1.4 will not go below 1/60 and a Tamron 28-200 set at 100 will not go below 1/80 without the camera adjusting the ISO first. I know there's a distinct need for keeping the shutter faster, hence the need for TAv, but for most things this setup has worked great for me.

-Brian
Hmm that sounds like something that I would like to try. By +/- you mean exposure adjustments? What do you mean by your ISO being custom auto? where do you set that?

02-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Hmm that sounds like something that I would like to try. By +/- you mean exposure adjustments? What do you mean by your ISO being custom auto? where do you set that?
Go where you would normally set your ISO and go up to the top to AUTO. You adjust the range you want the camera to use with the front and rear dials. Like 100 - 640 or 200 - 800 - whatever floats your boat. I use exp comp (+/-) on the front dial and Av on the rear. The camera will adjust the shutter to a certain point before it will start adjusting the ISO, but it won't let the shutter get to an unreasonable value until it has maxed out the ISO. Like I said, this is what works for me.
02-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #51
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Go where you would normally set your ISO and go up to the top to AUTO. You adjust the range you want the camera to use with the front and rear dials. Like 100 - 640 or 200 - 800 - whatever floats your boat. I use exp comp (+/-) on the front dial and Av on the rear. The camera will adjust the shutter to a certain point before it will start adjusting the ISO, but it won't let the shutter get to an unreasonable value until it has maxed out the ISO. Like I said, this is what works for me.

I gave it a try and I think it does the job! As I adjust the exposure down with the front dial, the shutter speeds up and vice versa. Does that sound right?
02-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I gave it a try and I think it does the job! As I adjust the exposure down with the front dial, the shutter speeds up and vice versa. Does that sound right?
Yeah that's right, but as things get a little darker and you go + the shutter will eventually stay the same and the camera will adjust the ISO.

02-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #53
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah that's right, but as things get a little darker and you go + the shutter will eventually stay the same and the camera will adjust the ISO.
Awesome, that is exactly what i was looking for...thanks for the tip!
02-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Welcome over, Dave
Cheers, Ryan.