Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Yes, thanks for the ISO tip, I set my camera to use the dial that wasn't in use in Tv and Av mode! I've been using the OK button and front dial before, but will not use it as often now.
Thanks again!

02-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use M mode pretty much exclusively. I dislike having the camera change things on me, as I find I'm usually at least as good at making those changes as the camera, and when I turn out to be wrong, I prefer having only myself to blame.
02-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Av and manual as I have a few M lenses and Taks. I find TAV quite usefull outside on partly cloudy days shooting sports.
02-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
What is the advantage of using TAv mode (I think it is TAv) where you set the aperture and the shutter speed and the camera sets the ISO. It seems to me if you are playing with the ISO in Av mode it would be to get a certain shutter speed.

Just curious if there is something I am missing. If it is just its convenient thats cool
I find TAv very convenient when I am shooting tele so I want to make sure I have short enough a shutter to make the photo sharp, and I also want to control the DOF. With good lighting, and using the K20, I can let the camera sort out the ISO without risking poor photos.

In similar situation I find it useful if I wanr motion blur and also want to control the DOF.

I have only recentle started to use this setting, but I love it. I have not yet dared on the K10 though, as the ISO span I would dare using is much smaller, especially in dim lighting.

02-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #35
Inactive Account

I use Av the majority of the time and manual when not under any time constraints.

I have to say this subject has come up several times before and this is the first time I saw the reference to using the front wheel to change ISO. I think that is super and immediately set my K10 that way. Goes to prove to me that no matter how many times a subject is brought up, there may be a new gem of knowledge that escaped me in the past.
02-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #36
Forum Member

Av

Always...
02-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #37
Veteran Member

For those of you that will use TAv to keep the shutter from bottoming out - I use Av with the front dial set to +/- instead of ISO and have the camera ISO set to a custom auto. The camera will not let the shutter bottom out below what it considers too much for the SR to compensate. Once the shutter speed reaches what the camera considers the limit, it will vary the ISO. A FA 50 1.4 will not go below 1/60 and a Tamron 28-200 set at 100 will not go below 1/80 without the camera adjusting the ISO first. I know there's a distinct need for keeping the shutter faster, hence the need for TAv, but for most things this setup has worked great for me.

-Brian

02-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #38
Pentaxian

50% of the time, M mode
50% of the time, Av mode.
02-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #39

Manual or Av entirely, as I have no AF lenses for PK fit.
02-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #40

I use Hyper-Program the most, then probably TAv (or as I refer to it, twisted manual),
TAv is good for shooting snowboarding, action sports where conditions change often and quickly. I set to a desired aperture, then a suitable shutter speed to freeze the action. If clouds dim the light or a rider drops into the shadows, the camera adjust the ISO and I keep shooting.

I love Hyper-Program, I'm in Av or Sv with the roll of a wheel. And once done, green button back to program.

Swweeeet!
02-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Av mode though for casual snapshots I usually set it to P.
02-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #42

Av mode - 50%
Tv mode - 10%
M mode - 30%
X mode - 10% (whenever I use an external flash)

I'm guessing I will soon use Sv mode in certain situations.

-Isaac
02-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Farside Quote
Manual or Av entirely, as I have no AF lenses for PK fit.
Welcome over, Dave
02-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #44
Veteran Member

P but lately M. I temper my desire for a second digital body by using my manual lenses and playing with off camera flashes more and more so the manual setting is getting the workout for the passed month or more.
I'm not gonna say that I have never had the camera in the green mode but I have used it on that crazy green box setting a little more than I have used the keep the shutter open as long as you want B setting.

Hyper program for me.
02-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #45
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

This seems like the Av club I'm a rarity I guess.

M for flash shooting and other selected situations, macros, K lenses or just total control.
P quite a bit of the rest. I simply like having both Av and Tv without having to change the mode dial. Tav when things are moving faster. I think Hyper Program is a brilliant mode that people avoid because the "P" is misconstrued as some sort of Program mode.
Av with my Taks but the front dial is blank. Being a P user, it's too easy to change ISO out of habit and I hate shooting over 400 if I can avoid it.