Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2007, 08:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
D owner says.......

QuoteOriginally posted by thongnd Quote
Hi, I have just buy a new *istD with lens FAJ 28-80. But I very disappoited with it quality picture evenif compare with pics. of *istDS that I saw in Dpreview, or other forum. I alway take a pic. with RAW format.
I bough It because I read in forums, most of members talk it quality is the same with *istDS to k100D. But in actualy, it quality pic.s are very bad, evenif compare with Canon 530 that I used to have before. Pics. of *istD is not bright it is leaden, litle dark and blur ,
Have Any one can give some advice about that? About lens or sensor ( I checked it, and found it had about 10 hot pixel, but I am not in US so I dont know about warranty service of Pentax because I bought it in US). What should I do?
Thank you so much!!!
The camera has a learning curve that can be steep for some. A few things to keep in mind.
1)AA filter over the sensor is stronger than most. This causes softer looking images , but they respond real well to sharpening. The camera also responds well to high quality lenses. FAJ that you have is not in this catagory. It is probably soft, especially at wide open...... find a cheap, goodl prime lens (I suggest a Pentax 50mm f1.7. Trust me, you will see the difference between your zoom and upper scale lenses).
2) Exposure meter is "dumb" and want to render things as a neutral grey.
As an example, this is a white wall....and an idea how various meters are calibrated. Your D could be calibrated to produce a histogram peak at around 90. Try a white wall shot to learn what your camera wants...then you can make a decision based on what you want.

Meter also can be influenced by bright highlights.
3)Native contrast in the D is "flat" and needs to be tweaked. There are no "picture" modes to do this but is very easy adjust in RAW. In jpg you can play w/ the sat and sharp settings.
Technical example of the "stretch the histogram"...

The camera is capable of excellent photography.
Just some starting point from another D owner.

03-31-2007, 12:05 PM   #17
roy
Inactive Account

there is absolutely nothing wrong with this image. you need to learn how to do your raw conversions and just a tad of sharpening.

Last edited by roy; 06-02-2007 at 09:22 AM.
03-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Check this Gallery

@davemdsn : your pic is very sharp and full colour. It very impressive if compare with my, I take near 700pics, but no any reach the same with yours. May be the cause is my lens FAJ 28-80. Thank you so much!
@*isteve : I will try to follow with your guide. Thank you so much! You are very kind.
By the way, Do you know any place, we can see pics collections of *istD, I very curious, and would like to have more change for learn from its.
Thank you so much!
All the shots in the following gallery were taken with the *istD and many with the 16-45 and processed from RAW in Capture 1 Pro (which has a brighter default exposure than photolab).

Behind Venice Photo Gallery by Steve Jacob at pbase.com

Note, most monitor Gammas are adjusted for comportable text viewing and are also too dark for photos - try downloading a free gamma tool and adjusting your screen.
03-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #19

Original Poster
Thank you *isteve, Jeffkrol, Roy, ....
I am trying to learn more about pics. processing!
If any one have any comments, please help me!
Thank a lot!

03-31-2007, 06:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Thank you *isteve, Jeffkrol, Roy, ....
I am trying to learn more about pics. processing!
If any one have any comments, please help me!
Thank a lot!
But with newer Pentax DSLRs, you can do less processing and yet get better pics! :-)
04-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

At purchase, thought that my *istD was a little "off" also. After some experimentation (including an initial trip into Pentax service to have it checked and confirmation that everything was within factory settings), found a couple of adjustments made a workable improvement.

First, on the "Main Menu" screen, set the selection for Saturation, Sharpness and Contrast to the highest point (green dot to the right). Secondly, selected the "Custom Function" option and changed the "Program Line" option to "Depth".

Outside shooting in the traditonal fashion (sun over the shoulder) found that matrix metering and auto-focus worked very well. For dubious lighting conditions found the need to switch to spot metering and focus worked best.

Also have questioned the impact filters (haze, UV, warming) have on the image quality. Usually the answered reply is the filters will have no negative bearing on the produced image but, it is my perception images taken without filters seem a little brighter right out of the camera.

All that being said, find you still need to do a little work in PhotoShop to finish the image and give it a little punch.

Al
04-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
You talked about blurry picture, that could just be a problem of use, just like the underexposure. Do some test, with the camera on tripod and check the histograms, try to overexpose up to the point the curve fall on the horizontal line just before the right end. Then, bring the raw into your raw converter and correct the exposure for a pleasing results to your eyes.
Also, focus manually, to check for incorrect autofocus.

This is from miy *istD and Pentax-A 24mm

Beautiful photo!
04-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I post some pics was taken by my *istD, Lens Pentax FAJ 28-80mm, RAW format, and convert by Pentax browser. Please comment me. It was not clear and unfresh colours and seem fogs.
I'm not sure about the subject of your first picture (the one taken inside) but the three outside pictures of buildings look okay to me. One is clearly underexposed for the shadows. The other two may be underexposed too.

But I suspect that there's another problem here. Raw images often look a flat and lifeless to photographers who come to Raw after experience with in-camera JPEG conversion. I would try a couple of things.

1. Shoot a few images using the camera's highest-quality JPEG format. See what you think of them. If the camera is producing satisfactory JPEG images, then it's likely that the problem with your Raw images is simply that you are not processing them correctly.

2. Go back to the images you took and try increasing the tonal range (say, with the tone curve in Lightroom) or at least the basic contrast.

Will