Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Firmware help for K100 D

Hey, I've just registered to this forum so hello.
But I really seriously need help. I'm about to fly off to new york in the next 2 weeks, less actually for a photography trip. I'm trying to download the latest firmware for my Pentax K100 D however i'm so scared i'll muck it up. I have read through the instructions and everything but my first question is: although the download says for ' Microsoft WindowsMe/2000/XP Version software' can it still work on vista?
I have already got the firmware onto my computer and have read the READ ME FILE. However the FWDC156.BIN file is saved as a VLC Media file.
Is it supposed to do that? Is it because of vista? have i done it right? Does that even matter? i'm yet to move it onto my memory card as i'm worried something will go wrong.
I'm probably being over paranoid and to be honest i'm not that great with computers so i would really appreciate the help.

thanks.

02-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
eclipsed450

QuoteOriginally posted by Kibry121 Quote
Hey, I've just registered to this forum so hello.
But I really seriously need help. I'm about to fly off to new york in the next 2 weeks, less actually for a photography trip. I'm trying to download the latest firmware for my Pentax K100 D however i'm so scared i'll muck it up. I have read through the instructions and everything but my first question is: although the download says for ' Microsoft WindowsMe/2000/XP Version software' can it still work on vista?
I have already got the firmware onto my computer and have read the READ ME FILE. However the FWDC156.BIN file is saved as a VLC Media file.
Is it supposed to do that? Is it because of vista? have i done it right? Does that even matter? i'm yet to move it onto my memory card as i'm worried something will go wrong.
I'm probably being over paranoid and to be honest i'm not that great with computers so i would really appreciate the help.

thanks.
question is, do you need the firmware upgrade?? personally, i wouldn't risk it prior to going on a trip where you need your camera...
02-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eclipsed450 Quote
question is, do you need the firmware upgrade?? personally, i wouldn't risk it prior to going on a trip where you need your camera...

Thats the thing, the only reason why I considered to get the upgrade because I wanted to order two SanDisk Extreme III SDHC 4GB Cards , and I have to get the upgrade to use the SDHC cards right? But then again, should i just wait until after the trip and just get an 8GB SD card now or something?
02-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I did the upgrade out of the box on mine a couple of months ago, no hitch. Format the card in the camera, that makes sure it's not some funky Vista file system. Download the file and then run it, it's a self-extracting archive. You'll get a file named FWDC156B.BIN, just copy it to the card with file explorer. The camera is designed to look for the proper file name when you turn it on with the menu button held down and then proceeds to install the update. Make sure you have fresh batteries; though it only takes a minute or two to do the update, losing power during it will definitely hose your camera.

I followed the directions here: Sellout.Woot: The Community: The Community: Woots: Pentax K100D 6.1MP Digital SLR Body

The 2GB limit is an old one from FAT16, presumably the update allows the camera to work with FAT32 which IIRC has a 2TB limit. Hmmm.... 2TB, that's 683,000 pictures.

02-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PFFJazzMan Quote
I did the upgrade out of the box on mine a couple of months ago, no hitch. Format the card in the camera, that makes sure it's not some funky Vista file system. Download the file and then run it, it's a self-extracting archive. You'll get a file named FWDC156B.BIN, just copy it to the card with file explorer. The camera is designed to look for the proper file name when you turn it on with the menu button held down and then proceeds to install the update. Make sure you have fresh batteries; though it only takes a minute or two to do the update, losing power during it will definitely hose your camera.

I followed the directions here: Sellout.Woot: The Community: The Community: Woots: Pentax K100D 6.1MP Digital SLR Body

The 2GB limit is an old one from FAT16, presumably the update allows the camera to work with FAT32 which IIRC has a 2TB limit. Hmmm.... 2TB, that's 683,000 pictures.
Ahh I see, thanks but the FWDC156B.BIN is saved as a VLC media file? Does that matter =S. Thats when I get confused...
02-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
eclipsed450

Ahh I see, thanks but the FWDC156B.BIN is saved as a VLC media file? Does that matter =S. Thats when I get confused...
is that just the program it's associated with for opening?

control panel > folder options > view tab > uncheck 'hide file extensions for known file types'

is the file still called FWDC156B.BIN?
02-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eclipsed450 Quote
is that just the program it's associated with for opening?

control panel > folder options > view tab > uncheck 'hide file extensions for known file types'

is the file still called FWDC156B.BIN?
yeah yeah it is still called FWDC156B.BIN but it comes up automatically with VLC media file. So does that mean it doesn't mean anything? I've unchecked the box but it still is put in that type.

02-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
eclipsed450

yeah yeah it is still called FWDC156B.BIN but it comes up automatically with VLC media file. So does that mean it doesn't mean anything? I've unchecked the box but it still is put in that type.
as long as the file is still FWDC156B.BIN then you should be fine...with that box checked, there could have been another extension that you were unaware of, but if it's unchecked, then that's the full filename and extension...
02-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your .BIN file is associated with VLC (an awesome free video player, for those who are unaware) because you chose VLC as the default program for .BIN files when you installed it. That's the default choice during installation b/c some .BIN files are video files. But you don't want VLC to open this file b/c it's an archive and not a video.

The easiest way of correcting this is probably to just uninstall VLC and then reinstall it, taking care to deselect .BIN files from the list of files that VLC will associate itself as the default program. Actually, it makes the most sense to update your firmware in between uninstalling and reinstalling VLC.

Or you can try following the instructions on this page which might solve your problem.
02-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
Your .BIN file is associated with VLC (an awesome free video player, for those who are unaware) because you chose VLC as the default program for .BIN files when you installed it. That's the default choice during installation b/c some .BIN files are video files. But you don't want VLC to open this file b/c it's an archive and not a video.

The easiest way of correcting this is probably to just uninstall VLC and then reinstall it, taking care to deselect .BIN files from the list of files that VLC will associate itself as the default program. Actually, it makes the most sense to update your firmware in between uninstalling and reinstalling VLC.

Or you can try following the instructions on this page which might solve your problem.
I've just updated my camera! It worked -, I just read this after I did it :S, if there was some file error surely my camera would not respond to the file on my memory card? as long as my display shows 'VER1.02' it's all good?
02-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've just updated my camera! It worked -, I just read this after I did it :S, if there was some file error surely my camera would not respond to the file on my memory card? as long as my display shows 'VER1.02' it's all good?

It's all good.

There is no practical reason to reinstall VLC. Had you double-clicked the BIN file it would have tried to open VLC, but that is not part of the routine.
02-19-2009, 05:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Good job on updating the f/w. I was really hesitant to do mine, but it turned out to be a piece of cake, as you now know. I found out I needed to update when I was visiting my grandson and filled up the only card I had (2gb). Ran to the store and bought a 4gb, and camera wouldn't recognize it. Finally dawned on me that I needed to upgrade the f/w. Enjoy your trip.