Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first m42 lens and having problems

I must be doing something wrong. This is my first non-auto lens (no A setting), it is a Volna-9, a russian 1:2 macro 50mm f2.8 lens.

My camera is K10D. I attached the lens to the camera with an adapter. In custom menu I made sure to allow to use a lens with no A settings. In Av and M mode the lens is stopping down to meter to give a shutter speed (I assume the F--is normal). But, my focus point is way off with this lens. I am using the flash. What could be at fault ?, is it the lens or the adapter ?

Also, initially I could not get the lens to do stop down metering at all. Even the SR would not work and when I mounted the lens to the body, would not even ask for the focal length (to tune the SR), and the camera would not stop down. But suddenly all that started to work fine now after mounting it back and forth a few times. This hick-up is making me think it is the adapter at fault with the focusiing issue I am having. (could the flash affect it ????, don't think so)
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, with stop down metering, how exactly do I meter ? I set the aperture ring at f2.8 and press the green button to find the suitable shutter speed, then to change the aperture to what i want to shoot at, I move the aperture ring and then manually adjust the camera shutter speed to the appropriate shutter speed to keep the exposure the same as what was given at f2.8 with the green button, right?
But, I don't know what to do with the focus error?, Help!

02-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got it figured out, needed +350 AF adjust with the debug...

02-18-2009, 09:08 PM   #3

Are you saying you have green focus confirmation but the image comes out out of focus? I'm not sure why you would need to add a debug focus adjustment for a manual lens unless there is something seriously out of whack between your viewfinder and sensor.

Also, the easiest way to get shake assist prompt for the lens length is to switch the SR to on, then power your camera on and then off.

For aperture, I don't know about this particular lens, but it may have an auto or manual setting. Make sure this is set to manual, (as you adjust the aperture, the lens stops down)

my process for stop down metering: set to open aperture, adjust the focus ring for focus, stop down the lens hit the green button (or whatever combo you have configured) then take the shot. If it has an auto / manual switch, you can use the switch to go back and forth between wide open and stopped down.

HTH
-southy

Last edited by southy; 02-18-2009 at 09:15 PM.
02-19-2009, 05:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The simplest way to meter is to do it in Av mode.

1. Focus
2. Set Aperture
3. Shoot

02-19-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah the green confirmation and the view through the viewfinder was spot on. With AF lenses the viewfinder (diopter control) and green confirmations were also spot on. Even with my MF auto lenses with the AE setting, the viewfinder and green confirmation were spot on with manual focusing. So, I think my viewfinder (dipoter control) is fine.

So, when focusing with my M42 non-AE/A lens I am relying on the green confirmation and what I see through the viewfinder.

However, firstly I did drop my camera one time and the green confirmation and the viewfinder were totally off, and I had to move the diopter control way to the right to get it back. I was worried that I got the focusing mechanism all screwed up, but as the diopter control fixed it, I just assumed the lever got knocked out of place. Secondly, most of my lenses need AF adjustments between +110 to +160, this needed +350.

I am going on vacation now, I got the lens last night..I only had little time to test it, but it is fine now. But, i do have to get to the bottom of what exactly is wrong here. If AF adjustment doesn't alter the focus point for MF lenses, then I need to think this through again.