Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Camera Shutter Life database link

I found an interesting database for the camera shutter. I think it could be used as a post-market reliability survey for the whole camera rather than just the shutter mechanical.

Camera Shutter Life Database

according to this (which is only as reliable as the reported frequency and values) the K10D should have a 79% chance of being alive after 100,000 cycles, after that the prediction is poor because of lack of reported data (currently N is 147 for K10D, versus 384 for N* D80), so take this chart with a grain of salt.

I'd encourage you all to report your camera shutter counts (alive or dead), it would be nice to have better reliability statistic on Pentax camera.

02-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless things have changed since the film days camera manufactures do not make the shutters themselves but get them from sub-suppliers like Seiko and Copal. The shutters are not camera brand specific, but there are probably different tiers of shutter quality/life expectancy. I was going to speculate that the more expensive the camera the higher tier of quality of the shutter, but then I saw this:

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
Direct link to this page: canon_eos1dsmkiii

Average number of actuations after which shutter is still alive: no data
Average number of actuations after which shutter died: 3,650.0

Yes, I noticed, this piece of "statistics" is based on a sample of one!
02-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

actually how much does it cost to change the shutter?

unless the cost is astronomical, i dont mind simply replacing the shutter mechanism.
02-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Yes, I noticed, this piece of "statistics" is based on a sample of one!
So it actually means that for most people, the 5d simply never dies? It's probably just not old enough yet =)

My K100d is at around 19000 and still going.

It find it rather weird to have people report when their camera is still alive though... A person can enter multiple times along their camera life just to add to the numbers of camera being alive. Wouldn't it make more sense if we just report when it actually is dead so we can have an accurate prediction on when the camera dies??

02-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Replacing a shutter in Romania (asked at the Pentax service) costs around 100 Euro.
02-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
So it actually means that for most people, the 5d simply never dies? It's probably just not old enough yet =)

My K100d is at around 19000 and still going.

It find it rather weird to have people report when their camera is still alive though... A person can enter multiple times along their camera life just to add to the numbers of camera being alive. Wouldn't it make more sense if we just report when it actually is dead so we can have an accurate prediction on when the camera dies??
I think Kaplan Meier curve takes into account of live & death rate. the "live" report improves reduce type II error rate, and the "death" report improve the prediction of type I error rate. (if anyone of you are statistical geek, please chime in or correct me). The statistician has smartly asked for an ID, such as email address, to reduce the risk of double counting the same sample.

So... yes, it does matter that you report both live & death rate for statistical analysis of life expectancy of a device.

Regarding the shutter mechanism, it probably the most likely to fail before anything else (of course, unless it's an induced electrical failure, such as dust that can short out circuitry) ... it's simply one of many possible metric to tell the consumer regarding design reliability of the camera, but it's a metric that's easily categorized.

Last edited by truonganh; 02-19-2009 at 10:19 AM.
02-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by truonganh Quote
I found an interesting database for the camera shutter. I think it could be used as a post-market reliability survey for the whole camera rather than just the shutter mechanical.

Camera Shutter Life Database

according to this (which is only as reliable as the reported frequency and values) the K10D should have a 79% chance of being alive after 100,000 cycles, after that the prediction is poor because of lack of reported data (currently N is 147 for K10D, versus 384 for N* D80), so take this chart with a grain of salt.

I'd encourage you all to report your camera shutter counts (alive or dead), it would be nice to have better reliability statistic on Pentax camera.
In my humble opinion, and after so many years, using so many different cameras, and considering that digital cameras have a shorter life expectancy (due to obsolescence), none of us really have to worry about our Pentax DSLR shutters.

I suspect your SD memory card slot will wear out before the shutter does. As I calculated in another post, the slot will probably last 10 years before wearing out, assuming you remove the memory card 5x per day for the next 10 years.

Of course, I say this assuming there is no inherent manufacturers defect and one takes proper care of their equipment. Depending on the amount of exposure to smoke (cigarettes are not just harmful to the human body), dust, excessive humidity, rapid hot/cold temperature changes, shock, etc... your mileage will vary.
02-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I forgot to set notification on this thread. I wonder if this can be automated in the options.

09-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The K10D was rated for 100,000 activations. (As is the case with most semi-pro cams, as I understand it.)
A camera like the D3, is set to 150.000 actuations.

I recall a thread at DPr with people owning the *Ist D, and having gone beyond the 100 K.

QuoteOriginally posted by picatalin Quote
Replacing a shutter in Romania (asked at the Pentax service) costs around 100 Euro.
thanks for the info

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I forgot to set notification on this thread. I wonder if this can be automated in the options.
I've got notification set on automatically