Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
No, this time that is not true. The 50D does have weather sealing. Upon visual inspection, just as much as the K20D. To what extent they compare in real-wet conditions, let me just say I wouldn't want to test either camera.
Don't have time to dig further right now, but not according to this:

QuoteQuote:
The construction and materials percolate down from the previous EOS x0D cameras, with a two piece magnesium shell making up much of the front and rear of the camera. This time, however, Canon says it has improved the manufacturing tolerances, to ensure closer shut-lines and a greater degree of protection against the elements.
Canon EOS 50D Review: 4. Body & Design: Digital Photography Review

02-21-2009, 06:07 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery
The K10D weather sealing works

I find it rather humorous how many K20D owners are 'bragging' about the weather sealing, but seriously, who in their right mind is going to test their camera? I'm sure not! I suppose it is nice to think about and compare... but...

One thing I understand about working in harsh (and/or ridiculously juicy) conditions... whether it is sand, water, or [damn it] grapefruit juice, even a small amount it will find its way in and damage your equipment!
I am in my right mind, that is why I switched from my Nikon D50 to the Pentax K10D. The majority of my photography is outdoors and I have been caught out in the rain multiple times and have never feared hurting my K10D. I spent over 1.5 hours in the rain hiking in Colorado with a Sigma 24-60 DG 2.8 mounted. I made sure to keep the camera pointed lens down. When I got back to the camp site there was Zero water in the lens and the camera has functioned flawlessly ever since. During the times the rain let up I was still snapping pictures. Yes, I do feel I made a mistake by not taking any kind of protection for the camera and lens while on that hike, but it turned out not to matter. BTW, the plastic shopping bags that are so popular at places like Wal Mart make great camera rain suites in a pinch. Cut a hole in the bottom of the bag slightly smaller than the lens dia. Slide the opening over the sun shade mount and snap on the sun shade to hold it in place. Make sure the the camera is in the bag. When you want to shoot a picture the only part of the camera and lens exposed is the front glass and the view finder. This trick really only works well with internally focusing lenses. I have used it on others but you have to keep adjusting the bag. Yes, on the hike mentioned above I forgot to take the Wal Mart bag along.

Will my K10D succomb to water damage someday? Maybe. But with over 25000 shutter actuations, I am not too worried yet. I got my money's worth.

Last edited by CharlieO; 02-22-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: listed wrong shutter actuations was 55000 sb 25000
02-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #48
RaduA

Neither 50D or 5D M2 have "weather resistance" the way K10/20/200 have. Even Canon claims *some* w.s. or *improved vs the previous generation* w.s. but this is all.

Radu
02-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I find it rather humorous how many K20D owners are 'bragging' about the weather sealing, but seriously, who in their right mind is going to test their camera? I'm sure not! I suppose it is nice to think about and compare... but...

One thing I understand about working in harsh (and/or ridiculously juicy) conditions... whether it is sand, water, or [damn it] grapefruit juice, even a small amount it will find its way in and damage your equipment!
Simply because some of us actually have "bragging" rights unlike yourself, for you to make such a statement:ugh:

Dylan

02-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #50
Forum Member

My immediate family have Canons XTI, XSI but I chose the P-K200D. In my opinion looking at both 8x10 and web base pics the Pentax matches both Canons JPG or Raw abilities. I choose Pentax just because it seems stronger and more water resistant. In my opinion a good photographer with any of these cameras is better than a bad photographer with any camera. One thing I notice is I’m shooting with my manual lenses more in all conditions, slow or fast moving subjects and the Canon users are upgrading to more technical lenses ( anti shake lenses, lower f stop ex:. ) We have swapped cameras for the day and we are equally happy to switch back again at the end of the day. I have also noticed by the end of the day they take twice or three times as many pics as I do but have the same amount of keepers in are family competitions.
This may be a narrow minded point of view but by the end of the day we can set around laughing at each others pics and giving them a ranking of 1-10 of are top 7 keepers and tally up to see who wins the $15.
02-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #51

I have already been out in the rain and rain/snow mix several times with my K10D, wiping it with my wet glove every few minutes, and no problem. This was with the kit lens. I held my hand over the lens as well as I was able while shooting, since it is not weather sealed. The weather sealing on these bodies really is not a gimmick.
02-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Help the struggling economy ... just buy cameras and lenses from every manufacturer.

Seriously, I currently own cameras and lenses from Pentax, Nikon, and Olympus ... and I own third party lenses for each.

Every family of cameras/lenses has strengths and weaknesses. If you can't find everything you want/need from one then buy several. It works for me.