Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2007, 05:11 AM   #1

Help.

OK here's the deal - there are two main issues here. First and most importantly of all, I was cleaning the mirror/inside of viewfinder with one of those cloths you get with a pair of spectacles and, well, I have somehow managed to scratch the thing that is between the mirror and the viewfinder glass - it is like some sort of filter that has the brackets you see when you look through the viewfinder normally. Now, it is only scratched in one corner and it does not affect the pictures taken but it is obvious and very very annoying. Do you know where I could get a replacement, short of sending it off to pentax, since it's simply a case of press a little button, out pops the old, clip in the new.

Secondly, dust seems to have somehow made its way into the screen on the rear of the camera. Now, I thought the K10D was meant to have '72 dust and moisture seals'. Dow can I get that cleaned?

03-31-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax has alternative replacement focusing screens-the piece you scratched-on the list of available accessories (about$40.00US/B&HPhotoVideo.com). They are in very short supply at the moment--get on the 'notify when available' list at the vendor. As to the actual installation, find somebody who knows what they are doing to install the thing.

Your second question is too vague. It sounds like you got crud under the protective plastic over the LCD on the back exterior of the camera. You could also mean that you got crud under the AA filter covering the CCD. Either or both are authorized service only type items. If the camera came to you new, this is probably covered under warranty (probably-if you put it in a pile of swirling sand and gunk, then it's your fault).

Some advice: find some web info on sensor and chamber cleaning of dSLRs; that eyeglass cloth is for eyeglasses! Blow, brush, swab with the right tools--not rub vigorously with a cheap rag!
03-31-2007, 06:39 AM   #3

The folks at Katzeye optics make replacement screens. Although these screens cost a fair bit more, there are versions with split prisms, which have really helped me with manual focus.

Katz Eye Focusing Screen for the Pentax K10D @ KatzEyeOptics.com

Like John said, handle the screen gingerly. When I cleaned mine, all I did was run it under distilled water and then carefully dry it with a hairdryer, all the while holding it by its tab with tweezers- I never physically touched it (yes, my fingers got pretty tired).

John

Last edited by button; 03-31-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: used wrong name- sorry John
03-31-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by button Quote
The folks at Katzeye optics make replacement screens. Although these screens cost a fair bit more, there are versions with split prisms, which have really helped me with manual focus.
Split prisms are brilliant. Mum's old Canon T70 (FD mount) had one.

03-31-2007, 06:55 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your help. Where can I get these screens in the UK? With regards to the dust it is between the protective cover of the LCD screen and the screen itself. I think I might go to my local Jessops and ask them to just take off the back cover and clean it out.