Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Left eyed, right handed

02-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #32
Pentaxian

I'm right eyed dominant but my left eye is always on the look out for the rest of the scene outside of the viewfinder
01-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I voted "left eye", of course.

I haven't read the enire thread but one certian thing I can tell you is:
being a leftie makes the use of the AF button very cumbersome, plus the fact that the thumb (right) is laso in the way.
This is particularly bothersome when using the K7 because of its smaller lateral size (horizontal).
My ten-cents.
JP
01-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm too blind to see what eye i'm using.

01-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jak442 Quote
I'm kinda surprised too. I'm RH but left eye also.
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
"Approximately two-thirds of the population is right-eye dominant" -> Ocular dominance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Funny how the chart reflects this but almost only left-eye dominant people replied to this thread
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
Left eyed, right handed

As pointed out it's whichever eye is dominant.

Right handed people with left eye dominance normally find that is unusual
so likely to be the ones who'd reply to this thread and point it out.

Actually so would left handed with right eye dominance -
but since left handed people are so conditioned to thinking left handedness is kind of unusual -
the right eye dominance is just taken as "normal"

The easiest way to determine which eye is dominant is to keep both eyes open and point at something - without moving one's finger - close one eye and see if the finger is still pointing at the object - if it is then it's the open eye that's dominant.

Right, right ......
(not a comment
but my handedness and eye dominance)
01-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #36

my mom tried to use both! thought it was funny (at the same time)
she was confused.
i laughed.
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Lang Quote
my mom tried to use both! thought it was funny (at the same time)
she was confused.
i laughed.
Ah, but she'd be correct
if it were Live View
or any other p&s digicam without an optical viewfinder.....
01-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Left eye for me and I wear glasses which really seems to get in the way. Maybe I'm looking too close to the viewfinder?

I'm in dire need of lasik though...

01-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Left eye for me and I wear glasses which really seems to get in the way. Maybe I'm looking too close to the viewfinder?

I'm in dire need of lasik though...
I can agree 100% with you!
Glasses get smudgy, the rear screen gets smudgy, and there is not enough room between my nose (I never thought it was that big until I acquired the K7 and used the AF button) and that AF button.
Besides, glasses won't allow you to really use the 100% view of the viewfinder.

Hey, I though about having a laser job but, truthfully, I am a bit reluctant ... scared.

JP
01-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #40

Left eye - right handed.
Also can't seem to close my right eye independently and still stay comfortable
01-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #41
Forum Member

Left eye to viewfinder with right eye in peripheral mode. 'Have 20/20 vision. Handedness is ambidextrous; write & shoot pool left handed - - most everything else right handed - - paint with both.

This left-eye thing is a recent revelation for me that I picked up from Joe McNally. I had always struggled "seeing" the image in the viewfinder with my right eye because I'd have to squint my left eye to do so. Per Joe's teachings, I moved my left eye to the VF and it felt crazy natural. Didn't have to squint right eye and can keep righty open to watch the periphery. My shooting improved drastically and immediately. Very cool!

Plus, viewfinding left-eyed, I can hold the camera more securely against my left shoulder in a boxer's stance for better stabilization at slower shutter speeds. Very slick!

According to subsequent research after said "aha!" moment, there is no correlation between handedness & eyedness. Interesting stuff.

Last edited by veezchick; 01-21-2010 at 11:31 PM.
01-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I can agree 100% with you!
Glasses get smudgy, the rear screen gets smudgy, and there is not enough room between my nose (I never thought it was that big until I acquired the K7 and used the AF button) and that AF button.
Besides, glasses won't allow you to really use the 100% view of the viewfinder.

Hey, I though about having a laser job but, truthfully, I am a bit reluctant ... scared.

JP
Yup, same here! Glasses get smudgy, but I don't know from what!?! Skin, perspiration, body heat? And then my nose hits the LCD screen because I try to get closer to the viewfinder, which in turn causes more smudging. There's several doctors in my city who offer a full refund if you don't get 20/20 vision after undergoing lasik, but of course that's a moot point if you end up blind
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #43
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Yup, same here! Glasses get smudgy, but I don't know from what!?! Skin, perspiration, body heat? And then my nose hits the LCD screen because I try to get closer to the viewfinder, which in turn causes more smudging. There's several doctors in my city who offer a full refund if you don't get 20/20 vision after undergoing lasik, but of course that's a moot point if you end up blind
This full refund thing made me laugh, sorry!
Yeah ... the photographer got Lazik done in both eyes; the surgical procedure was successful but there was one side effect: blindness! But, hey! they have refunded the photographer!

JP
01-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This full refund thing made me laugh, sorry!
Yeah ... the photographer got Lazik done in both eyes; the surgical procedure was successful but there was one side effect: blindness! But, hey! they have refunded the photographer!

JP
Check into an alternate procedure where the opthalmologist inserts a lens behind the cornea using a very small incision. The operation is similar to the cataract surgery, except they leave in the original lens and just add the correction. I am not sure if they can put astigmatism corrections in the lens. To go back to the original, they make a tiny incision and remove the artificial lens.
01-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Right eye, right handed. I can't even close my right eye without closing my left. Only the other way around.