Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Right eye vs. Left eye
Right eye 14362.17%
Left eye 8737.83%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #61
Inactive Account

Right eye (slightly less shot than my left).

01-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
> Manwithcamera: Your avatar shows someone using their right eye! Better get that fixed :-)
If you look carefully at the avatar, he took a picture of himself in the mirror - look where the shutter release is taking place.
01-31-2010, 07:13 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Aah... thought someone took the pic OF him...

:-)
04-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #64
Inactive Account

left eyed, left handed, right footed (soccer/football). not something id thought about until recently.
Always have been since i picked my first camera up.
Also which way do people rotate for portait orientation? i go clockwise, shutter button down. Just curious

04-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #65

Left eye all the time...

You can actually determine which eye is your dominant one by holding your hands out in front of you and making a half dollar sized hole. Slowly bring your hands to your face and you will naturally bring them to one eye or another. Going to the other eye will feel strange and you'll have a harder time focusing on them.

I learned this during our firearms training course in my LEO Academy. It helped me determine which eye to use while shooting
04-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_barker_9 Quote
left eyed, left handed, right footed (soccer/football). not something id thought about until recently.
Always have been since i picked my first camera up.
Also which way do people rotate for portait orientation? i go clockwise, shutter button down. Just curious
I usually rotate counter clockwise, but have done clockwise. It seems to be a function of the camera body I am using rather than anything else. I have a vague memory of reading that clockwise allows the arm to be braced, and is theoretically less shaky. I've never gone to the trouble of testing to see.
04-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Right eye. But it used to be my left 'til I weaned myself over to my right eye when I was still shooting 35mm & wanted to advance the film while still looking thru the viewfinder.

04-18-2011, 03:30 AM   #68
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
it's interesting very few people use both eyes(not at the same time of course) like me

off topic-that picture is made during a walkaround of the plane. It's part of my work
Ricoh Gx-100 24mm wide compact was the camera. Definitely smaller than my K200 to carry around everyday in my bag.
www.flickr.com/photos/sopiandri

Well, I am right handed, but left eye dominant. I mostly shoot right eye, but sometimes switch to left eye. When shooting in the studio, I try to shoot right eye through viewfinder and left eye open to make sure the strobes fired (especially when using the studio's gear since the pack overheats and shuts down if fired too fast).
04-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I usually rotate counter clockwise, but have done clockwise. It seems to be a function of the camera body I am using rather than anything else. I have a vague memory of reading that clockwise allows the arm to be braced, and is theoretically less shaky. I've never gone to the trouble of testing to see.
This actually varies somewhat with the person and camera body: I like a well-placed vertical grip button, but nearly always used to go shutter-button down for verticals if there isn't one. It's steadier to go shutter button up with, say, my MZ-5, though, cause of where the shutter's placed. Steady has to go all the way down, firm and soft, (Like wing chun or from the hara in Japanese sword) but you can still foul a shot if you don't release the shutter smoothly. It's the kind of thing you can feel, though: some will be better off draping a hand across the top of a camera than scrunching up with elbows 'braced.'

Best to feel it out, though: cameras differ and so do people and hands. Where which eye can come in can be about the whole body's balance, depending on the machine and stance and all.
04-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Right eye. It has much better vision than my left.
04-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
This actually varies somewhat with the person and camera body: I like a well-placed vertical grip button, but nearly always used to go shutter-button down for verticals if there isn't one. It's steadier to go shutter button up with, say, my MZ-5, though, cause of where the shutter's placed. Steady has to go all the way down, firm and soft, (Like wing chun or from the hara in Japanese sword) but you can still foul a shot if you don't release the shutter smoothly. It's the kind of thing you can feel, though: some will be better off draping a hand across the top of a camera than scrunching up with elbows 'braced.'

Best to feel it out, though: cameras differ and so do people and hands. Where which eye can come in can be about the whole body's balance, depending on the machine and stance and all.
Well put magic lady. With the K10 with grip and hand strap, I go up and counter clockwise. With my KX (not K-X) I used to thumb the shutter button which put most of the camera steady function in my right hand, leaving the left free for focusing. The release that I tend to do is perhaps weird, but it works for me. I release with the first knuckle when I want the smoothest release possible hand held, with the finger tip on the camera body. It seems to be the smoothest release I can come up with.
04-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Well put magic lady. With the K10 with grip and hand strap, I go up and counter clockwise. With my KX (not K-X) I used to thumb the shutter button which put most of the camera steady function in my right hand, leaving the left free for focusing. The release that I tend to do is perhaps weird, but it works for me. I release with the first knuckle when I want the smoothest release possible hand held, with the finger tip on the camera body. It seems to be the smoothest release I can come up with.
Yeah, though it's good to learn some techniques, the tendency is for a lot of people to stop there, and end up trying to turn about the most sophisticated image (not to mention head) stabilizing system on this green Earth.... the human body and brain, into a lousy tripod. We're bipedal binocular-visioned tool-using *sight-hunters:* just walking around, it takes a lot to keep your head level, relatively-straight, and do the rest in processing on the fly: and that means we can be *very good at being walking Steadycams indeed* if we pay attention.

Which means, if your finger's crooked to poke the shutter button, that's probably not as smooth as a press with the pad: while pointing cameras with elbows flying isn't too stable, straining to 'brace' yourself usually just means you're making *smaller, faster,* shakes.

Where eye vs hand comes in with a lot of things like this, is that if you're using your off eye, then the camera's not quite designed for it, so you need to shift things around a ways. There's usually some stable points there, too, but it can be a bit cramped. (I think the left-eyed much appreciate the demise of the old-fashioned wind lever in this regard. )
04-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #73

well since i am practically blind in my left eye, right eye it is!
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #74
REM
Forum Member

I am right handed and right eye dominant (per my experience shooting firearms). When I first got my DSLR, i used my right eye for viewing the viewfinder. That has now shifted to using my left eye for landscape orientation an either my left or right for portrait orientation( depending how low the camera is relative to ground and available light). It's all about fitting the nose at the right angle for comfort and blocking unnecessary light to get a clear picture in the viewfinder.
04-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #75

Photos: Gallery
i used to shoot with my right, but the photos always seemed a wee bit out-of-focus. and maybe it's my inexperience as well, but since i started shooting with my left, the shots came out a bit better. in terms of clarity and focus, i mean.