Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #91
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonjour monochrome,

Alors, c'est comment?

What's your take on the K-01 ... have you posted somewhere already?

"Curious minds want to know ..."

Bien cordialement, J Frog
Well of course I don't have it yet (should be here in 3 or 4 weeks). On the surface I beleive the K-01 is truly something new, with the feature set of the K-r, an improved version of the K-5 sensor and some truly enhanced video for a camera in this price range. Most people here will argue that the K-01 is not the best camera at any of these, but I believe the package of all of them sets it apart. I plan to do a complete review and image post as a semi-accomplished amateur, not a dpreview-style write up.

I believe I have figured out a way to hold this camera and manual-focus my old lenses that will allow steady shooting. I have practiced with an MESuper and an LX, which is 10 grams lighter and just a few mm different W x H, but shallower depth.

My idea is based on the classic left palm support method shown in the old Pentax camera manuals, holding the elbows in at the sides and the camera at nose height, looking at the memo holder (or camera back) instead of through a VF. It is only 6-8 inches in front of my face. Feet are placed as if using a monopod. Of course I look slightly down at the LCD isntead of holding the camera at arms-length and looking straight ahead. You couldn't do that with one of the thin, tiny cameras everyone is so excited about.

I can hold this position for up to seven minutes before my arms wear out. Should be fun to do the write up.

BTW, I saw a brief post on one of the threads relating a rumor that Pentax has applied a new coating to the LCD (SMC?) that couts down on the glare and allows seeing the LCD in bright sun at up to a 170 degree angle. Since 170 degrees is about the normal downward peripheral field of view, if true, this will be a significant breakthrough for NoVF camera use.

02-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #92
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Well of course I don't have it yet (should be here in 3 or 4 weeks). On the surface I beleive the K-01 is truly something new, with the feature set of the K-r, an improved version of the K-5 sensor and some truly enhanced video for a camera in this price range. Most people here will argue that the K-01 is not the best camera at any of these, but I believe the package of all of them sets it apart. I plan to do a complete review and image post as a semi-accomplished amateur, not a dpreview-style write up ...
Bonsoir monochrome,

Thanks for your answer, and yes, I was pretty sure that you were waiting on one, too. Just had to ask 3 or 4 weeks in advance and I'll look forward to your opinion and insights about the K-01. I think that you're right about the overall "package" abilities may be the best selling point(s).

Allez et à bientôt - J Frog
02-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #93
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Mainly right but do use left on occasion, always both are open.

This is from a right handed but left footed man.
02-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #94
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Left eye!

My left eye is dominate, also has better vision, thus my rear screen is always smudged with nose oil. Is that better for those using the right eye?

02-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dawsonjm Quote
My left eye is dominate, also has better vision, thus my rear screen is always smudged with nose oil. Is that better for those using the right eye?
Nope. I use a Delkin pop up shade. No nose grease and easier to see the screen in sunlight.