Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Right eye vs. Left eye
Right eye 14362.17%
Left eye 8737.83%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
Forum Member

I'm kinda surprised too. I'm RH but left eye also. In archery and shooting sports I taught myself to aim with my right eye with both eyes open, it helps a lot with target "acquisition", but have found it difficult to focus a camera right eyed with both open and closing the left seems to leave it pretty much useless and numb feeling between shots. But, shooting left eyed with both open and my right eye obscured by the camera(which is too close to focus on) seems to work out great. Besides, it seems to be a more compact and stable position to boot. Portraits are another story.

02-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #17
Forum Member

I'm training myself into manual focus so, when one eye gets tired of carefully checking for focus on my K200D, I switch to the other.
02-20-2009, 06:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jak442 Quote
I'm kinda surprised too. I'm RH but left eye also.
have found it difficult to focus a camera right eyed with both open and closing the left seems to leave it pretty much useless and numb feeling between shots. But, shooting left eyed with both open and my right eye obscured by the camera(which is too close to focus on) seems to work out great. Besides, it seems to be a more compact and stable position to boot. Portraits are another story.
Same here. My left eye is the dominant one, so I just can't use the viewfinder with my right eye without closing the left one - but that's unconfortable for me. So most of the time I use my left eye with right eye open and obscured by the camera.
In real life all the people I know use their right eye. I'm glad this topic discovered I'm not the only left eye guy out there
02-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Approximately two-thirds of the population is right-eye dominant" -> Ocular dominance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny how the chart reflects this but almost only left-eye dominant people replied to this thread

02-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Right eye most of the time, but when shooting in emergency perimeters (like fires) I'll often have both eyes open like video cameramen.

The reason for both eyes open is that one eye focuses in the camera, and the other eye just operates in "peripheral" mode not really focussing on anything, but allowing you to survey the scene for danger. You brain switches between eyes all by itself, but it does take some getting used to.

Pat
02-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #21
emr

I'm so strongly right-dominant that I hadn't even thought one could aim with the left eye!
02-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #22

Original Poster
I'm left eye, but I think sometime I might move to my right eye possibly, because my nose wouldn't be in the way, and with your left eye, your kind of forced to breathe on the screen.

Although left eye is an advantage, because I find I like really funny (squinting) when I try to use my left eye, so my face is always behind the camera.

-Isaac

02-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My right eye is dominant so it gets the nod. For many years I used a Leica M2 which were designed for the right eye although you could get one made for the left. I have also tried shooting with both eyes open to watch for other action but it's hard to do. As I have aged (physically not mentally ) my eyes went far-sighted correcting my near-sightedness and I'm still learning to shoot without my glasses on.
02-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right handed, right eyed.
02-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Also right eye'd, right handed with everything, but swing a golf club, axe left handed.

Never quite worked out why.

Wal'
02-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #26

Right handed and Right Eye - didn't realize you could or should use the left eye. Whatever comes natural I guess.
02-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Right eye....unless it's a leap year
02-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #28

Always right eye.
02-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #29
Inactive Account

I use the left eye too...i feel a little goofy if i try and use my right eye lol
02-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use my right eye on the viewfinder. When taking action and sports, I also keep my left eye open and watch the field so that I can anticipate action. It perhaps helps that I learned to do this with rifles at a very young age. The size difference when using the 50-135 and doing this (1.4X to 4X larger with the viewfinder eye) takes me a few minutes to get my head into gear again, but it is a skill that is not too hard to learn.