Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

How do you guys protect your camera?

I love my K10D I got a couple of weeks ago and can't help babying it. I know equipment is meant to be used and I'm using it as much as possible. But it is becoming a bit tedious to always try to watch out for scratches or any other abrasions I might make on the body. How scratch prone is the body with the exception of the LCD? Should I just get a LCD protector, camera armor, or just let things be? I would love to hear back from people on this! Thanks

02-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi greenboy,

Congrats on you new K10D. It's surely a nice camera.

You'll be surprised how durable Pentax camera is.
I got my K100D 2 years ago. And at that time I was also so protective too and babying it like you.
I put screen protection on back and top LCD until everything started to come off and look ugly.
So I decided to just peel it off and surprisingly that LCD withstand so much more abuse (not that I'm abusing it) than I thought it would.

Now I have K20D and feel it's so much more durable then my old K100D. Anyway K10D/ K20D are weather sealed and using more metal than K100D.
I'm sure your K10D will withstand normal abuse.
Maybe I'll just put an LCD screen on the back since my face's skin oil keep leaving mark on the screen :P
I noticed that the back LCD is more prone to skin oil. I don't see that much skin oil when an LCD screen was on it.

Just decide what you want your camera is for: Collector Item vs Excellent Photographer Tool.
then you'll know what kind of protection you'll need.

Don't forget to have fun.
02-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I got an LCD protector,for the sake of it, thick and great. Though frankly, I have used my camera for 2 years without having a single scratch on the lcd screens...just being careful was enough!
It will get the usual marks on the bottom but then it is a sturdy body,so no problem.

And maybe, one day Leica M4 Garry Winogrand
02-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
BPT
Veteran Member

I protect mine with a pack of wild dogs and a shotgun. But what I use to keep the camera in good shape is just carrying it in a camera bag. As long as you are not using the camera as a weapon against muggers it should stay in good shape

02-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I got myself an LCD screen protector on ebay. It's a film like the ones on the PDAs but a bit thicker. Pretty much scratch proof. I like it also because it comes with a protector for the top LCD.

I tried a bunch of other ones but settled to this one. The others provide more protection but moisture seeps in them with condensation/humidity.
02-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Indeed, you're supposed to use a K1000 to beat the muggers away!

Pat
02-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
AGW
Inactive Account

I got one of the Tamarac Zoom bags to protect my camera. So far, it's working really well.

I just hang the camera around my neck and put the 9mm in the bag

Seriously though, I just have a screen protector on it, and am planning on the one that was posted here last week somewhere - it looked like a great idea. I do admit to wiping it off and making sure it is clean and dry when I get back from shooting though. The camera that is. Shooting the camera.

Al

Last edited by AGW; 02-20-2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: To add shooting the camera
02-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by greenboy Quote
I love my K10D I got a couple of weeks ago and can't help babying it. I know equipment is meant to be used and I'm using it as much as possible. But it is becoming a bit tedious to always try to watch out for scratches or any other abrasions I might make on the body. How scratch prone is the body with the exception of the LCD? Should I just get a LCD protector, camera armor, or just let things be? I would love to hear back from people on this! Thanks
Let it be. These things aren't made of wet tissue paper, and anything you put on the camera to protect it will get in the way of it's functionality.
Use some common sense about handling it, and if you are really worried, get a replacement value insurance rider for it.
You will find the first ding on the body is incredibly liberating, because you will realize that your little technological marvel really can handle a little bit of mishandling.

My all time favorite camera was an old Nikon F2s that I used for about 10 years before foolishly selling it.
By the time I let it go there was more brass than paint on it, the pentaprism had a number of large dings and the AE attachment point was broken off entirely, as well as numerous dents on the body.
A new Pentax DSLR isn't going to stand up to the kind of punishment that a 1974 pro level tank of a Nikon will take, but it will take a few knocks.
02-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I understand your concern. I too like to keep my stuff nice. Cost enough, might as well cherish it and take good care of it.

I do several things. I hate neck straps, and haven't used one in over thirty years. What I do use instead is a hand grip. When walking about, if I'm in close quarters, I just turn my wrist and cradle the camera/lens against my chest/stomach.

When I'm not actively using the camera, or need to have it at the ready, I just keep in in a bag. My current favorite is the Lowepro Photo Runner. It has fannypack-like waist straps, but I don't use those and have wrapped them through the slot in the back and buckle them together so they don't flap about. The bag is big enough to carry the body with a lens attached and two or three additional lenses depending on the size of the lens.

Right now, as the bag sits on the floor next to my desk, I have in it the K20D body with the FA43 attached. In front of that is the FA31 and a bulb blower; and on top of the FA43 is the FA77. In the compartment behind those is the DA18-250 and the empty FA43 bag on top. In the front compartment is a case holding extra SD cards and an extra rear lens cap.

The bag is about 13 inches wide, 5.5 inches deep and 7.5 inches high. It has a twin zippered flap that goes from left to right with two buckle straps on top of that. When I have no need for the shoulder strap, I fold under the buckles with the extra length under the buckle straps on the bottom of the bag. It has a grab strap on the top, which is usually how I transport the rig. The bag has plenty of padding all around, except for maybe the top where the zippered flap resides, but with the folder, padded shoulder strap under the buckles, that area is probably more protected and any of the other sides.

It is a nice, small bag; but I really need to think what lenses I'll need for the day as not too many fit inside the bag as any one given time.

Last edited by volosong; 02-20-2009 at 11:01 AM.
02-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I only use a lcd cover for the back screen. because it does get scratched the way I use my cameras. The bottom of the grip is "protected" by a massive quick release plate, which goes over the full width. Otherwise the Pentax cameras are robust tools and apart from a couple of scratches the body got, when it followed gravity once or twice, it looks fairly good (K10 now in its third year and the K20 in its second). These polycarbonate shells look more robust to me, than the old alloy bodies of film days.

Ben
02-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Indeed, you're supposed to use a K1000 to beat the muggers away!

Pat
Indeed, it is a great defense weapon...
I have almost had to use mine, once or twice..

I use to be very careful in taking care of my stuff, but now I pay no mind to it. So far my K10D has fallen off a 40 foot pier onto the sand, I have dropped twice from 4 feet (damaging one lens) and it works like a charm. Pentax makes some good stuff. My son dropped his K100D super off his bike and it did crack the rear housing, but it works better than ever...Oh and I did drop my K1000 in a stream about a year ago and I dried it up and works like a charm.
02-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

When I bought mine, I put Accmaxx screen protectors on both screens (just in case). So far, no issues.

As far as wear...the strap loop that sticks out will brass (lose paint) and the other one might too. If you use the hotshoe, it will brass as well.

I've seen some models for sale with a lower corner cracked. I'm careful so hopefully this won't happen.

Although I love the finish on the cams...does anyone else notice the "pebbly" surface collects a lot of dust? Not the rubber grips but the plastic...
02-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

Although I love the finish on the cams...does anyone else notice the "pebbly" surface collects a lot of dust? Not the rubber grips but the plastic...
I'd have to wipe a layer of crud off my camera to answer that
02-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't do a lot for mine either except to keep them in the bag when not in use. I do wipe them down occasionally with a damp cloth. As another poster mentioned the rear LCD screen does get my face oil on it and I wipe it with a soft cloth, e.g., my shirt!
02-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Other than a camera bag, nothing...my equipment gets abused. As a gadget freak in general i made a conscious decision not to continue "babying" my gear as i waste to much time protecting it vs using it. that said, i have yet to drop a lense especially a more expensive one.