Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Clearly the solution is to pay for your camera with VISA and make sure it's covered in their no questions ask extended warranty, then "accidentally" destroy the thing. That way, you'll know exactly how much abuse it can take, you get to replace it for free, and you'll have done your part to convince Hoya to invest more in Pentax bodies.

See, I'm a problem solver.

02-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'd have to wipe a layer of crud off my camera to answer that
Make sure it doesn't get swept away with the other dust bunnies
02-21-2009, 01:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by greenboy Quote
I love my K10D I got a couple of weeks ago and can't help babying it. I know equipment is meant to be used and I'm using it as much as possible. But it is becoming a bit tedious to always try to watch out for scratches or any other abrasions I might make on the body. How scratch prone is the body with the exception of the LCD? Should I just get a LCD protector, camera armor, or just let things be? I would love to hear back from people on this! Thanks
I have been purchasing screen protectors from this vendor for the past three years. Every one I've purchased is still in perfect scratch-free, bubble-free condition. Because it is thicker than ordinary plastic, bubbles and peeling are quite unlikely. The other unique quality of this protector is that it has an anti-glare coating on it.

3 Screen Protector Pentax K20D Digital SLR - eBay (item 110231878278 end time Mar-04-09 00:56:17 PST)

Here is another type. I have never used this one but it is a very different type:
ACMAXX LCD PROTECTOR Pentax K20D Samsung GX-20 Body DA - eBay (item 260365253440 end time Mar-21-09 19:36:48 PDT)
02-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #19

I picked up a 10 pack of screen protectors at Wolf Camera a couple of years ago. It can be a chore getting them the exact size and shape of the LCD screen but once on they are there for good.

I use them on my cell phone and on my K10D and although they get scratched up from time to time they protect the LCD very well.

If the camera is out of the bag it is around my neck on a comfy neck strap. If you want to hold my camera or take a picture of me with it you WILL also use the neck strap.

Every once in a while I take a paint brush and degunk the body and lenses. Things accumulate in nooks and crannies and it is also a good opportunity to examine the camera closely for nicks and possible cracks.

I also have a Kata 3n1 bag that so far has kept things pretty safe.

Mostly I am also very aware of what could go wrong and how easy it could get damaged. To me it is like a child, I am always aware of where it is, who is looking at it and who might want to do something stupid with it.

02-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #20
Damn Brit

I have the perfect solution, I keep mine in the box and borrow a camera from someone else.

I'm in the let it be camp. If you use it all the time, any marks are battle scars. I'm more concerned about the lenses than the camera.
02-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #21

99 cent LCD protector, always have it around my neck when used, and stored in a padded box when not in use.
02-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I did find

that there is a modern equivalent of the neverready case, sold by a certain camera camo company. You stick your hands inside the camo pouch to use your camera. It is probably a great idea for those *certain brands* without water-proofing that they make them for.

I tend to over-protect, too. I get that. It *would* be nice to have something to cover the whole deal when in a crowd, or bush-whacking. Haven't seen anything like that for Pentax. But I expect that if attacked by a gang, or pack of wolves ;-) , it would be better to use it for blunt force trauma, than to protect it with your body.

A wider, more padded strap would be nice. Mine with lens is now at least 5 lbs. . .

02-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

For a good strap, I recommend you look at the OpTech straps- wide, comfortable, and they really feel like they take some of the weight off. This is the one that's been on my camera for 3 years now.
02-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

To protect your camera you need to have a system. Here is my system:

02-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #25
Forum Member

The only "precautions" I take are related to things that will effect IQ... a camera doesn't need to be clean or pretty on the outside to take a good photo... but, I am fairly obsessive about the inside. Aside from a blower, this doesn't involve anything you can buy. It's just a mindset and understanding of when and how stuff gets inside and the "rituals" required to limit that.

Of course I keep my gear in a well cleaned and padded case, to limit wear when not in use, but otherwise it's just a camera.... a reasonably priced and very sturdy one at that.
02-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apparently, this also comes in fire engine red:

Pentax K10D / 20D SLR

Jack
04-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I use to be very careful in taking care of my stuff, but now I pay no mind to it. So far my K10D has fallen off a 40 foot pier onto the sand, I have dropped twice from 4 feet (damaging one lens) and it works like a charm. Pentax makes some good stuff. My son dropped his K100D super off his bike and it did crack the rear housing, but it works better than ever...Oh and I did drop my K1000 in a stream about a year ago and I dried it up and works like a charm.
Sounds even worse, than the way I treat my equipment

But I agree, it is bought to be used

QuoteOriginally posted by jak442 Quote
The only "precautions" I take are related to things that will effect IQ... a camera doesn't need to be clean or pretty on the outside to take a good photo... but, I am fairly obsessive about the inside. Aside from a blower, this doesn't involve anything you can buy. It's just a mindset and understanding of when and how stuff gets inside and the "rituals" required to limit that.

Of course I keep my gear in a well cleaned and padded case, to limit wear when not in use, but otherwise it's just a camera.... a reasonably priced and very sturdy one at that.
Good points
04-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Sounds even worse, than the way I treat my equipment

But I agree, it is bought to be used
I did finally retire my K10D though. It took a shutter release button to do it in. Here is a link to it's good buy send off.
Retiring my K10D - Photo.net Pentax Forum
04-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #29
Banned

QuoteQuote:
How do you guys protect your camera?
I don't. simple as that.
04-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by greenboy Quote
I love my K10D I got a couple of weeks ago and can't help babying it. I know equipment is meant to be used and I'm using it as much as possible. But it is becoming a bit tedious to always try to watch out for scratches or any other abrasions I might make on the body. How scratch prone is the body with the exception of the LCD? Should I just get a LCD protector, camera armor, or just let things be? I would love to hear back from people on this! Thanks
Battle scars are a rite of passage - you don't want to look like a newbie all your life, do you?

Seriously, don't sweat it. This stuff is made to take a reasonable amount of punishment. If it looks pristine, you're not using it enough.