Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #31
edl
Veteran Member

Well, like most Chinese people I wrap my camera in 5 layers of plastic shrink wrap so it never gets exposed to the elements.

I don't worry about my camera. If I'm shooting the most protection it gets is a small canvas bag with no padding. As long as you don't drop it, it can handle pretty much everything else.

04-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #32
Forum Member

I don't baby my camera either. I put it in the top pouch of my hiking backpack and it takes a couple knocks against overhanging rocks now and then. One issue to look out for is to always keep it in a clean case when traveling. I used to put it in my everyday backpack (in its own compartment) without the viewfinder cover and it looks as if the little tiny bits of sand and crud in there rubbed off some spots of coating on the VF. Ruined a UV filter (even with the lens cap on) that way too. Seems like common sense but at the time I didnt think anything of it...
04-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #33
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Battle scars are a rite of passage - you don't want to look like a newbie all your life, do you?
I think I read somewhere that (war) press photographers often took sand paper to their new cameras to make them look used just to avoid looking like a newbie.
04-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #34

Brooke Shields: Nothing comes between me and my Calvin.
Jots: Nothing comes between my Pentii and my Domke.

I carry multiple bodies with different lens so that I don't have to change lens in the field.

04-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #35
Inactive Account

"If you want to hold my camera (1)
or take a picture of me with it (2)
you WILL also use the neck strap." (3)

YUP! I have lived by that for several years now and it is even more important with our digital babies!

-TomK-
04-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jots Quote
Bad, BAD mental image. Bad.
04-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I used one of those screen protectors on my Palm Pilot and I didn't like it..so I took it off. As other have said it's not as delicate as it may seem. I had my K10D since Nov./07 and there are a few things I do:
  • If I'm not using my camera or lens..they're always in my padded LowePro bag.
  • When I put the K10D in the bag I put a softened cotton hankerchief over the screen..then close the top down. I make sire the straps of the camera are not on the screen...and also make sure there is nothing in the camera bag top sleeve that would rest on it and scratch it.
  • I walk around with it...I always flip the K10D with the lens facing the ground...the strap is around my neck at all times. I do this because I'm concerned with the camera screen rubbing against a rough jacket or a button and getting scratched. Think of it...all that up and down motion as you walk with the screen rubbing against the brass button on your favourite Carhartt outdoor jacket.
  • I'm very careful ...(but I use regularly) with my equipment...always have been.
  • In the car...I always have the camera in the bag...on a seat, not the floor, I want a cushion absorbing the road harshness . I also make sure it's seat belted in. I don't want the camera equipment flying around at high speed in the car if I hammer the brakes on.
I also put an excellent filter on the lens....B+W are my favourites...rather scratch the filter than the lens...the filters I use are high quality and do not seem to deteriorate the picture at all.

Last edited by lesmore49; 04-07-2009 at 09:37 PM.
04-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #38

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Battle scars are a rite of passage - you don't want to look like a newbie all your life, do you?

Seriously, don't sweat it. This stuff is made to take a reasonable amount of punishment. If it looks pristine, you're not using it enough.
Totally! The K10D is all-but bulletproof (cross fingers). I have a camera bag, but there's a good chance the camera will be at the top of my backpack. Or the middle. Or occasionally the bottom. K10D has survived medium-speed meetings with concrete (battery door slightly cracked) and rain, and works fine. Also, I've found the more you *try* to protect something, the more likely it'll be scratched anyway.

Rear view screen has no protection and has obtained some light scratches but nothing that concerns me.
04-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Protect my K20D? From what? No LCD condoms, no rubber suits, no nothing. If it's not hanging around my neck or (nonchalantly) over my shoulder, it's stuffed in my teardrop Ameribag shoulder tote, along with a few lenses, PNSs, pouches, candy, a collapsible kite, etc. The Domke stuffed with other lenses, flashes, etc may or may not be on the other shoulder, or nearby in the car. Or if I'm out in the (shudder) cold, it's around my neck, inside a parka or field jacket, a technique I learned during a couple of Kansas winters. Yeah, I'd have SLR & TLR & RF all staying cozy in there.

But really, the K20D is pretty rugged, or so I read. I haven't yet tried dropping it from any height, which sloppiness has done-in a couple Sony PNSs, a Yashicamat 124g, and an Ikonta folder. Brownies don't break easily. The geared Kodak 35 and Argus C3 don't break, no matter how much I wish they would. My old Graflex was pretty indestructible. The K20D seems like a tank too, though I don't have so much faith in all my lenses. How about a breakaway lens mount?
04-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have dragged my K10D over the Kokoda Trail in New Guinea, and the most protection it ever gets is various combinations of Kinesis and Lowepro bags with extra dry bags for when it really gets raining. It looks as good as new after almost two years and just has the odd wipe over with a slightly damp cloth.
04-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I superglue the K20d to my right hand and let the wife drive to the shoots.
04-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jots Quote

I carry multiple bodies with different lens so that I don't have to change lens in the field.
well said
i see so much writeups on this type of topic, and its just amazing how much protection photographers give to a camera,

BUT YET THEY SMOKE 2 PACKS OF CIGARETTES A DAY

Dave
04-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote
Mostly I am also very aware of what could go wrong and how easy it could get damaged. To me it is like a child, I am always aware of where it is, who is looking at it and who might want to do something stupid with it.
[B Good way to look after your camera....regard it as your small child....after I read this post I thought about it...that's how I've taken care of all my expensive equipment over the years..it's worked well.[/B]
04-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
BUT YET THEY SMOKE 2 PACKS OF CIGARETTES A DAYDave
Before they screw the lid down on my coffin would you please make sure you put in the K20D, six charged batteries, and three cartoons of Virginia Slims Menthol Ultralights.

Oh yeah, and a cigarette lighter which can also function as side-lighting.

Thanks.
04-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pardes Quote
Before they screw the lid down on my coffin would you please make sure you put in the K20D, six charged batteries, and three cartoons of Virginia Slims Menthol Ultralights.

Oh yeah, and a cigarette lighter which can also function as side-lighting.

Thanks.
Ha Ha! That is funny!