Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Another Review

Digital Photography World (English, $14, Mar 07) has a review of the 10D.

The reviewer starts off by rehashing his opinion, which was not very flattering, of the 100D. Then he says he was prepared to be unimpressed with the 10D. Then he piles on the Kudos.

Mostly he raves about IQ and build quality. He says that the 10D is far superior to the equivalent Canon product and Sony 100 and better than the Nikon 80. And his IQ comments are based on JPG images which make the Canon 400D images appear to be quite mushy.

This is more of an oped piece than a comprehensive review, but it does give a different slant to things. He implies that the only reason to buy from the big two is the comprehensive lens selection available from them.

03-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
P.S.

I would have included more detail if I had the mag in front of me, but I put $14 in my 10D account. I will buy one some time this year.
03-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

I just picked up a copy of the issue today. It's about the most balanced comment on the K10D I have read. While not tech review with a lot of pixel peeping like so many, it apparent the author, Ron Lawton, took the camera out and actully used it. In many of the reviews one wonders if the camera ever made it out of the lab and into the hands of a real photographer.

In the end he gives it a 90% rating. The final verdict is and I quote:

"The Pentax K10D is quite a surprise. It might look like a 10-megapixel version of Pentax's existing SLRs, but it's not. It has a different, much larger body that feels like it's has been hewn from a solid block of granite, and its performance matches anything its rival's can do." page 129, DIGITAL CAMERA WORLD, March 2007

The rivals enumerated in the article are: Canon E0S400D, Nikon D80, Sony Alpha 100 and the Olympus E-400.
03-31-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dmdctusa Quote
I just picked up a copy of the issue today. It's about the most balanced comment on the K10D I have read. While not tech review with a lot of pixel peeping like so many, it apparent the author, Ron Lawton, took the camera out and actully used it. In many of the reviews one wonders if the camera ever made it out of the lab and into the hands of a real photographer.

In the end he gives it a 90% rating. The final verdict is and I quote:

"The Pentax K10D is quite a surprise. It might look like a 10-megapixel version of Pentax's existing SLRs, but it's not. It has a different, much larger body that feels like it's has been hewn from a solid block of granite, and its performance matches anything its rival's can do." page 129, DIGITAL CAMERA WORLD, March 2007

The rivals enumerated in the article are: Canon E0S400D, Nikon D80, Sony Alpha 100 and the Olympus E-400.
great news.

the thing I can't quite figure out about the K10... reviews of the canon EOS 400 (rebel xti), the nikon D 80 and others are relatively consitant in their findings.
with the K10 they bounce all over the place from awesome to just ok

makes me wonder if there are issues with quality control with the K10.. as in some better/worse then others.
after all they did rush them out the door in a way...
I am not saying I don't like my K10, in fact except for high ISO noise I love it.
But if I buy another pentax to replace it, I would not jump on it as it is released.... I would wait 6 months for the bugs to work out.

just think it is odd that K10 has such a wide fluctuations of reviews while the other big 2 seem to have more consistant review.

cheers

randy

03-31-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
Forum Member

Slipchuck wrote, "just think it is odd that K10 has such a wide fluctuations of reviews while the other big 2 seem to have more consistant review."

Doesn't seem odd to me when you compare the advertising dollars of Nikon and Canon to those of Pentax. I am sure most of the magazine crowd had written Pentax off as to DSLRs.

In the past of I have used both Canons and Nikons SLRs and had my share of problems with cameras and lenses.

As to digital problems just look at Leica's problems with the M8. They design a camera with no infrared filter and after release find they have a major problem with it and have to supply every one with an infrared filter. Any where from two five grand for a Leica lens and then you have to put a filter on it after spending 5K for the camera body.

Even if the Pentax has minor probems it is in my opinon the best deal in town by a longshot. I got a shot today of s street scene with the kit lens. At the edge of the frame, a bus stop marker, about 14nches by 24inches, 1/4 mile away can be read very clearly.

i
03-31-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I had little problems with k10d except the fact the sensor is not centred in the middle with a slight tilt to the left - minor issue.

The camera performs very well for me and no complaints at all. These reviewers must have found a major difference in comparing k10d to the competition brands in order to write such review. To me, k10d is well deserved in its place with such a cheap price tag!

I am already up to 10,000 clicks (Hopefully producing better images with more clicks :P)
03-31-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You don't get a lot of variation in C/N reviews as they spend enough on advertising to ensure that doesn't happen.. I believe the Pentax reviews are more honest and when you read hoest reviews you find that different reviewers have different likes and dislikes and one may love something that another hates..

Just my personal opinion, can't back it up of course

04-01-2007, 02:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Corporate Influence.

QuoteOriginally posted by dmdctusa Quote
Slipchuck wrote, "just think it is odd that K10 has such a wide fluctuations of reviews while the other big 2 seem to have more consistant review."

Doesn't seem odd to me when you compare the advertising dollars of Nikon and Canon to those of Pentax. I am sure most of the magazine crowd had written Pentax off as to DSLRs.

In the past of I have used both Canons and Nikons SLRs and had my share of problems with cameras and lenses.

As to digital problems just look at Leica's problems with the M8. They design a camera with no infrared filter and after release find they have a major problem with it and have to supply every one with an infrared filter. Any where from two five grand for a Leica lens and then you have to put a filter on it after spending 5K for the camera body.

Even if the Pentax has minor probems it is in my opinon the best deal in town by a longshot. I got a shot today of s street scene with the kit lens. At the edge of the frame, a bus stop marker, about 14nches by 24inches, 1/4 mile away can be read very clearly.

i
Being in the business as long as I have, I have been privy to being behind the scenes at many magazines, which I will not mention. Here is a conversation I once heard amongst many. Magazine: "You want an editorial about your product? Buy ad space in our magazine, then we'll talk" "Sure send us your product we'll have a look at it, but we won't guarantee anything." Or Advertiser: "We want you to do a special advertorial in your magazine about our product. If you can't do that for us, perhaps we might have to go elsewhere."

That "IS" the BUSINESS...Period.
04-01-2007, 04:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Being in the business as long as I have, I have been privy to being behind the scenes at many magazines, which I will not mention. Here is a conversation I once heard amongst many. Magazine: "You want an editorial about your product? Buy ad space in our magazine, then we'll talk" "Sure send us your product we'll have a look at it, but we won't guarantee anything." Or Advertiser: "We want you to do a special advertorial in your magazine about our product. If you can't do that for us, perhaps we might have to go elsewhere."

That "IS" the BUSINESS...Period.
thanks for the insite.
sounds so much like being in politics!

cheers
randy