Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #1

Mirror lens conversion problem

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have purchased an ENSINOR 500mm f8 Mirror lens with M52 thread (pentax) fitting, to which I fitted a conversion ring to give me a K mount for my Samsung GX10 DSLR.
This combination did not immediately work, I had to put a thin washer between the lens and ring because the flange of the ring appeared (when tried alone on the camera) to sit too far into the camera body otherwise.
The lens now fits, however, the focus does not go to infinity! At the infinity setting on the lens, distant mountaintops are fuzzy.
Has anyone else had this problem and is there a cause/solution.

I do hope someone can help.

Marcus

Desparate

02-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

You'll have to take the washer out. It is causing a registration problem. Try the lens with the adapter alone.
02-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Inactive Account

BTW, you are using a T ring adapter, right?
02-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
What is a T ring adaptor, I just sent for a converter from Hongkong M52 to K mount, is this not any good?
Marcus

02-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
I think you may be correct, but the lens will not fit the camera if I remove it, I think I need a thinner washer, perhaps a few thou!
Marcus
02-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #6
Inactive Account

First, the mirror lens has a M42 thread on it. You should be using a standard M42 adapter with no washer. No matter what thickness you use it will ruin the lens focusing for infinity.
It sounds like the adapter you are using is not right.
02-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Marcus, the Pentax screw mount is M42, 42mm in diameter. Whether your lens actually has that mount or a T2 mount is another question. T2 is also 42mm in diameter, but with a somewhat steeper thread (42mm x 0.75 - whereas M42 is 42mm x 1.0).

So, there are possible answers to your problem: You may have bought a T2 lens (many mirror lenses come with this mount). If you screw on the standard M42 adapter, it will not screw down flush onto the lens, but only (depending on the quality of the adapter) half a turn or a bit more.

The only correct adapters for M42 to the Pentax K-mount do mount fully inside the camera bayonett! They do not have any flange above the camera mount, as this would make infinity focus impossible. It might be, that with your washer you exactly introduced this kind of flange as you mistrusted the adaptor? Then you can't focus on infinity, which is the way things work.

Ben

02-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

A photo of the setup would help.
02-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
To Wildlifephotog and Ben Edict.
Amazing and thank you both.
Good suggestion to do photos wildl.p., so got out my other Digi camera and started to set up - as I tried to unscrew the adaptor, the fitting behind it, which I had taken to be part of the lens, unscrewed, low and behold it was a T mount adaptor! so this must be a T2 lens with converter to M42 exactly as Ben suggested, thanks Ben.
All I need to do now is get a T2 to K mount - yes?
Marcus
02-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Here is what adapter you need. No washer will be needed.
T2 T-2 T-MOUNT adapter for Pentax K Film Digital SLRs - eBay (item 190287256502 end time Feb-22-09 08:37:33 PST)
02-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gumpa Quote
To Wildlifephotog and Ben Edict.
Amazing and thank you both.
Good suggestion to do photos wildl.p., so got out my other Digi camera and started to set up - as I tried to unscrew the adaptor, the fitting behind it, which I had taken to be part of the lens, unscrewed, low and behold it was a T mount adaptor! so this must be a T2 lens with converter to M42 exactly as Ben suggested, thanks Ben.
All I need to do now is get a T2 to K mount - yes?
Marcus
Using the T2-to-K-mount adaptor will make things much easier for you. Good luck with that lens, then!

Ben
03-10-2009, 04:44 AM   #12

Original Poster
To all of you who made suggestions;

Sorry for delay in my reply, first it was the post then I forgot the site (wrist slap)!

ALL IS RESOLVED, with the new T mount adaptor from USA I now have full focus of my 500mm macro mirror lens - thank you once again - good these forums are they not?
MARCUS