Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Is there "Shutter Releases Counter" for Pentax?

How can I check how much photos did I take with my Pentax?
Is there any way to tell?

thanks

02-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

The file number is a place to start.
I believe if you load an image file into PhotoMe (Google it) it will give you a total actuations count, which may be different from the file # count.
02-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use exiftool. Just drag your latest file onto the program shortcut and find the total shutter count.
02-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D0ri Quote
How can I check how much photos did I take with my Pentax?
A lot of people like PhotoME - it is very comprehensive.

You can simply right-click on the file and do an Open With PhotoME -
it will also handle Pentax RAW (.PEF) files.

The metadata header is called Shutter Count.

02-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thanks guys
I got my K200 since September, and I took only 3376 photos...
02-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, that PhotoME is comprehensive! Thanks.

I bought a "refurbished" K10D that didn't look like it had ever been out of the box. The seller claimed that it was a demo model that had to be labeled as re-furbished since it couldn't be sold as new but I've always wondered. ME confirmed that the camera has never been serviced and the difference between the number of clicks I've taken and the number of shutter releases on the camera is only 351. For all I know they took that many test shots at the factory. WooHoo!
02-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Strictly speaking the Shutter Count is not in the standard EXIF metadata set - but additional information provided by the individual manufacturer.
(eg: my Canon p&s does not have a shutter count, nor any of the sample shots from Canon dSLRs)

So some EXIF readers will not show the shutter count or additional information - eg: the really nice IrfanView viewer or FastStone Viewer

02-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Factory shutter actuations

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
Wow, that PhotoME is comprehensive! Thanks.

I bought a "refurbished" K10D that didn't look like it had ever been out of the box. The seller claimed that it was a demo model that had to be labeled as re-furbished since it couldn't be sold as new but I've always wondered. ME confirmed that the camera has never been serviced and the difference between the number of clicks I've taken and the number of shutter releases on the camera is only 351. For all I know they took that many test shots at the factory. WooHoo!
I have seen a couple of threads regarding the shutter count on brand new Pentax dslrs. It does appear that, during QA, the factory activates the shutter a couple of hundred times. I know that mine did, and it came straight from B & H.

Personally, I think that labelling a demo unit as "refurbished" is, in some ways, just as misleading as saying it is new. To me, refurbished means that the factory or other qualified service agent has checked it out and replaced/repaired/adjusted/cleaned everything that needed it. If this has not been done, then it is not refurbished. Why can't they just call it what it is, a DEMO unit? Any reasonable buyer would know what that means; the camera has been out of the box in the store and handled by any number of sales persons and potential customers.
02-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
To me, refurbished means that the factory or other qualified service agent has checked it out and replaced/repaired/adjusted/cleaned everything that needed it. If this has not been done, then it is not refurbished.
I agree - Demos should be called Demos.....

If one mouses over the Manufacture Date header in PhotoME -
it say that might change if the camera is serviced.
Could this give an indication if the camera was truly refurbished?
02-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
MAN! "Shutter Count 20952" on my K10D since may 2007 ok! it was serviced on may 2008 because something got loosen from the shutter mechanism but the guy as the official service told me that time "you have camera for a long time"

I SO love my K10!