Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K2000(K-m) here with questions...

I'm unsure if anyone has much experience with the K-m model.

I have a new white K-m right here with a two-lens package.

White K-m camera
White SMC DAL 18-55mm
White SMC DAL 50-200mm

Comparing the 18-55mm DAL lens that came with the camera to the 18-55mm DA lens that I have been using with my K20D, I've come to notice that the DAL range of lenses seem to not have "Quick Shift" built into the lenses autofocus.

Is the DAL range of lenses a common thing or is this totally new? Is pentax trying to rid of the Quick Shift functions ?

Is the DAL range of lenses dust/weather proof like the DA lenses ?

Any input is appreciated.

thanks

PS: I must say that the new firmware is pretty sweet. The information display works flawlessly. The new digital filter menu is very cool too, oh.. and the new menu layout with pages is nice also, I wonder if pentax will ever implement this into the current K20D, K200D, etc.. firmware? Or are they just going to leave us hanging?

-steve

02-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by steve500 Quote
Is the DAL range of lenses a common thing or is this totally new? Is pentax trying to rid of the Quick Shift functions ?

Is the DAL range of lenses dust/weather proof like the DA lenses ?

Don't own a K2000, but here goes:

DA L lenses do not feature Quick Shift focus to make the lenses cheaper and lighter. Pentax has no intent in eliminating this (frankly) ingenious mechanism, which even my dad admires (as an engineer).

DA lenses are not weather sealed; only DA* lenses. Thus, DA L lenses are not weather sealed either.
02-22-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I agree with your accessment on the menu system of the K-m. Super easy to use. a lot of the time I find myself using my wife's K-m instead of my own K10D.

- Andrew