Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Need help: how to set manual mode e-dials

So far I'm liking my K20D, but I've found an annoyance.

I like direct control over ISO, so I've used the custom settings to set the rear e-dial to ISO and the front dial to aperture. I should state that I really only ever use aperture-priority and manual settings. Old habits die hard!

In order to change the settings for manual mode I use "24. e-dial in TAv & M". But for some reason there are only two settings. One allows the front dial to control shutter speed and the back aperture. The other setting is the other way around. Neither setting lets me control ISO. Why is this missing? And why would I want a dial to control shutter speed when you cannot do this with a manual lens in manual mode? The dial becomes useless. Isn't this rather dumb?

I'm hoping that I've missed something obvious. Otherwise the controls are letting me down precisely when I most need to customise them.

02-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pressing the OK button and either a) turning the front dial; or b) turning the dial controlling aperture will let you change the ISO. I'm just not sure which it is as I have mine set with the front dial controlling aperture.
02-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
And why would I want a dial to control shutter speed when you cannot do this with a manual lens in manual mode? The dial becomes useless. Isn't this rather dumb?
Why can you not control shutter speed with a manual lens in manual mode? Perhaps you meant to say that the green button will set the shutter speed for you in manual mode. That is true, but it doesn't mean that's the only way to set the shutter speed with a manual lens in manual mode.

Anyway, you're bumping into why they call this mount "crippled". If you want to change ISO in M mode, you're going to have to go with the awkward OK button plus front dial combination.

With M42 lenses I use Av mode, the camera does the shutter speed for me, and I have the rear dial set up for ISO and can change quite easily. Yet another reason M42s are easier to use on modern Pentax DSLR bodies than the M series of lenses are.
02-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Why can you not control shutter speed with a manual lens in manual mode?
Sorry, typo. I meant to say I could not control aperture with the dial, since this is being controlled from the lens itself. Thus having a dial assigned to aperture in manual mode makes no sense for these lenses. I had not tried the K20D with an M42 so did not realise the greater freedom.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Anyway, you're bumping into why they call this mount "crippled". If you want to change ISO in M mode, you're going to have to go with the awkward OK button plus front dial combination.
Darn. I do in fact find that awkward. In fact I find the back e-dial awkward in any case. But I'm thinking it is the software that's letting me down, not the mount. Surely I should be able to control ISO on the body with an e-dial no matter what lens I was using?

Looks like an oversight in the firmware.

02-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holding in the OK button while turning the front e-dial changes the ISO for me in M mode.
02-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

rparmar, I suggest you read this:

PENTAX digiich

PENTAX digiich

Most people coming from a film background would predetermine the shooting ISO first and use the aperture and shutter speed solely as exposure variables in manual mode. Alternatively you could use TAv mode and allow the camera to vary ISO.
02-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
rparmar, I suggest you read this:

PENTAX digiich
This is an article on Shutter & Aperture-Priority (TAv) mode. When I use this with a manual lens (with the front dial set to shutter and the back to aperture) this is what I get:
front dial: nothing
back dial: sets ISO
green button: nothing
The camera ignores the aperture ring on the lens.

I assume this is not correct usage.

I am unsure as to what you are suggesting.
02-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Holding in the OK button while turning the front e-dial changes the ISO for me in M mode.
True. But I was trying to avoid using the OK button. In every other mode I can.

Apparently I have found a limitation of the firmware. Annoyingly, this covers a very frequent usage scenario for me.