Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thumper Quote
I've been looking at Pentax for a while, but have been a little turned off by the auto focus issues. I've handled the k20d in a store, it feels nice, but didn't focus as fast as the Canon xsi or Nikon D90 I also tried. I then tried an older used Canon 30d and loved the way it felt. I did some research and the 30d seems to have better image quality than Pentax's current dslsr's and even out does the Nikon D200. I may just buy the 30d and invest in good lenses.
So, you joined a Pentax forum to tell us you're going to buy a Canon? Did you join the Nikon forum and tell them the D200 didn't make the cut?

02-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
So, you joined a Pentax forum to tell us you're going to buy a Canon? Did you join the Nikon forum and tell them the D200 didn't make the cut?
If you take a look at his posting history he was trying to buy a K10D earlier.

Geez, you guys are pretty edgy lately.
02-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #93
Veteran Member

I've been looking at Pentax for a while, but have been a little turned off by the auto focus issues. I've handled the k20d in a store, it feels nice, but didn't focus as fast as the Canon xsi or Nikon D90 I also tried. I then tried an older used Canon 30d and loved the way it felt. I did some research and the 30d seems to have better image quality than Pentax's current dslsr's and even out does the Nikon D200. I may just buy the 30d and invest in good lenses.
Then buy the Canon and be happy. But it doesn't have better iq than the K20d (assuming a good lens on the K20d). Period.
02-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #94
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote

I have to agree a little bit.

I can't read the OP's mind, but it looks like he's in a similar boat that I am/was.

Really likes the feel of the Pentax, but is worried about some things he's read, specifically the poor autofocus of the Pentax.

I think what he's asking for is if the AF is acceptable or if he should go with the XSi, which has a leg up on that issue.

I don't think he's posting to rub in the fact that he's considering buying a different brand.

Just my take on it. I also have to add that overall I've found this to be a very helpful place and a lot more useful than other camera forums out there as people seem to be more interested in providing genuine thoughts instead of launching into attacks.

02-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #95
Veteran Member

To the OP, borrow or rent a D90 with glass you think you will use. See what results you get. If the results are what you want, buy it. If not, then your technique needs more of an improvement.

I'd say rent some Pentax glass, but that may be more difficult to do.
02-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
To the OP, borrow or rent a D90 with glass you think you will use.
or afford
QuoteQuote:
See what results you get. If the results are what you want, buy it. If not, then your technique needs more of an improvement.

but he can at least afford it
02-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Easy actually...search for lens rental in the forum...

02-24-2009, 01:49 AM   #98
Veteran Member

LOL @ the line in bold. You've come to that conclusion by studying what? DPR's reviews and their forums?
Also try changing ISO on that thing right now without taking your eye out of the viewfinder to check which of those stupidly placed buttons is for the ISO. Terrible terrible ergonomics and sensor output.
02-24-2009, 02:23 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
My best friend recently got a nikon d90 and I am in love. She is able to get so many shots that I could never get with my k100d. I had been feeling frustrated and limited with my camera even before she got the d90 as my daughter has become a cheerleader and my camera REALLY struggles in the low/crappy light of school auditoriums and I have to either accept a lot of grain or motion blur. Examples Our family and friends also do a lot of evening activities and hanging out and the d90 captures those moments with ease. Last night she had her ISO at 2000 and the pics were bright and crisp and not at all grainy.

And I know that it's gimmicky and a bit of a controversial "issue" ...but it was pretty fun last night to be able to snap great photos, and then when someone was attempting to dance like Beyonce, be able to switch over to video and take a little movie The movie thing is NOT a deal breaker for me... but it is kind of fun!

I pondered going for the k20d so that I could keep my lenses... and I do love being a Pentaxian, but I have been told that the k20d won't make me happy and do what I want it to either. Looking at the ISO tests on DPreview and other sites seems to confirm this.

I know that none of us have crystal balls... but as I am no urgent rush to get new gear, do you think I should wait awhile and hope that Pentax comes out with a camera that makes me squeal
Hmm... If you want low noise, I think you should go with a Mamiya DL28. It's a bargain. They throw in a free lens, too.
02-24-2009, 03:40 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edward B. Quote
I have to agree a little bit.

I can't read the OP's mind, but it looks like he's in a similar boat that I am/was.

Really likes the feel of the Pentax, but is worried about some things he's read, specifically the poor autofocus of the Pentax.

I think what he's asking for is if the AF is acceptable or if he should go with the XSi, which has a leg up on that issue.

I don't think he's posting to rub in the fact that he's considering buying a different brand.

Just my take on it. I also have to add that overall I've found this to be a very helpful place and a lot more useful than other camera forums out there as people seem to be more interested in providing genuine thoughts instead of launching into attacks.
Edward, the OP's post contains valid questions and seeking for advice. I think, that has been addressed in the following posts to any sensible extend. But for another poster declaring, that old and outdated cameras like the 30D or D200 provide better IQ than a K20 and would be superior choices is simply nonsensical. Apart from that, most of the problems the OP addressed stem from using a lens, which is not up to the job and will never provide the performance he expects.

So, it does not matter, whether he goes with a D90 or K20, unless he also invests considerably more money, than the camera body will cost, into lenses, which are up to the task. I think, this is a sensible message.

Ben

P.S.: Nevertheless, I in general think, that some recent threads have been too heated and I don't no why. Perhaps it would be better to deal with uniformed provocation (and that is not aimed at the OP!) by simply ignoring it.

Last edited by Ben_Edict; 02-24-2009 at 12:13 PM.
02-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote

Well, there have been several trolls here lately that joined just to tell the uninformed masses here how superior their brand is. You'd think the name "Pentax Forums" would give them a hint that we've all decided that Pentax must meet at least some of our needs.

Kind of like going to someone's neighborhood party and telling all the guests the reasons you didn't want to live in their neighborhood. Do you think many people would want to talk with you?
02-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #102
Igilligan

Russ

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Well, there have been several trolls here lately that joined just to tell the uninformed masses here how superior their brand is. You'd think the name "Pentax Forums" would give them a hint that we've all decided that Pentax must meet at least some of our needs.

Kind of like going to someone's neighborhood party and telling all the guests the reasons you didn't want to live in their neighborhood. Do you think many people would want to talk with you?
Russ, if they came to my party talkin' smack about my little love shack and the cruddy neighborhood in which it sits.... I would give them a good beer, tell them to grab a burger...

Let my actions and words give them a taste of my world...

Calling names and spanking them in front of my friends will only push away a possible friend. And we need all the friends we can get.
02-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Russ, if they came to my party talkin' smack about my little love shack and the cruddy neighborhood in which it sits.... I would give them a good beer, tell them to grab a burger...

Let my actions and words give them a taste of my world...

Calling names and spanking them in front of my friends will only push away a possible friend. And we need all the friends we can get.
Eh, well that's what makes this place exciting I guess. We all handle things differently.
02-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edward B. Quote
(...snip)

(snip...)

The supposed slow AF on Pentax is way overblown in my opinion. Just about all the reviews say that the Pentax AF is fast and accurate (what I've found), but not as fast as the other brands. In other words, fast enough for most real world examples.

Look at the sports/action shots in the Pentax Photogallery and you'll see that people are shooting a wide variety of sports and action with Pentax gear, and that includes everything from the *istD with kit lens to the K20D with SDM lenses.

Pentax Photogallery Sports & Action shots
02-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #105
Veteran Member

I concur wholeheartedly!

My son (a surfer) had a portfolio of shots done with a mate who had a Nikon D200 and a zoom up to the 300mm end of things.

They were unprocessed jpegs dumped on to a cd - out of 60 shots not one really in focus and it was a nightmare to pp to get any decent color depth & contrast out of them.

The other day I went out and decided to try my hand with the disgustingly slow K10D, useless for any kind of sport, at some surf shots.

I shot with af-c, dng, single shot, hand held, snap shot style shooting.

This is one of the c***p shots it took - only pp was sharpening